How I met the 100 Hour Board

Introduce yourself and meet other readers!
A Mom, but not yours

Post by A Mom, but not yours »

Amen.

Um, I still read his blog.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Ah, Horatio. Not quite what I expected. The first time I met him, he had a plastic bag over his head and was making it his business to hand out fliers to those people who try to edge past without making eye contact. That combined with Phoenix's threat that if I didn't guard his laptop with my life when he was gone, I wouldn't have one when I got back, and CGNU Grad's slightly worrying parting words to me, ("If you need any help, just pick up a phone and start dialing 2s." "Isn't that the police number?" "Yes. It is.") made me wonder what I'd gotten myself into.

Turned out Horatio was a nice guy, and much better in person, without a bag on his head, Phoenix and I got to be great friends, and I learned about his fanatic love of his computers, and that CGNU Grad was a police dispatcher. We've always been a strange mix, but a good one, nonetheless.
Gimgimno
Cotton-headed Ninny-muggins

Post by Gimgimno »

Bahaha, mine is rather odd.

One day, I was sitting on the toilet (to quote Dave Barry: "I am not making this up"). Living in DT as a first semester freshman, I lived in a hall where the HA downstairs liked to type newsletters and hang them in the stalls so people could be entertained while they relieved themselves. She had this "secrets from sister so and so" segment (hot alliteration) that featured theboard.byu.edu one fateful week in September. I went, and although I wasn't hooked from the get-go, became hooked after about a month of sporadic reading.

So I learned about the board on the crapper.
Twister of Fate

Post by Twister of Fate »

Gimgimno wrote:I learned about the board on the crapper.
I vote this quote should be a title bar quote on the board. :lol:
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Lol! :D
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Twister of Fate wrote:
Gimgimno wrote:I learned about the board on the crapper.
I vote this quote should be a title bar quote on the board. :lol:
Come on, now, people! The Board does have some semblance of a reputation to uphold. :D
John Doe III

Post by John Doe III »

Sure, but is it enough to pass up something so funny?
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

I'm pretty sure that no one else has a story quite like mine. I was at my house being bored over Thanksgiving break about a year and a half ago and I decided to Google my name. I was pleased to see that the first hits that came up were, in fact, about me and not anyone else with my name (my last name is pretty uncommon, especially when coupled with my first name. I think there's a lady in Sweden who has my name, because she came up on the Google search, but there aren't many of us).
Anyway, one of the first hits that came up was from the Board. Intrigued, I clicked on it and got taken to a Board question where someone had quoted a Daily Universe article that mentioned my name. Then I found the FAQs and laughed really hard at the question "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?" and I slowly began adding reading the Board to my list of things to do when I was bored.
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Oddly enough, I was introduced to the Board by Dragon Lady, who I worked with. This was well before she became a Board writer, and quite obviously long before I became a writer. I know not where she discovered the Board, but we passed much time reading the daily answers, and also submitting many a question (I was actually responsible for getting an entire genre of question banned by the Board when I was a reader).
Kismet Keeper

Re: Humble Master

Post by Kismet Keeper »

Which genre?
Eponine

Post by Eponine »

I'm the oldest in my family, so I was introduced to all the college necessities (like facebook) by my friend/roommate. One day she was reading the "how to make your life miserable" question from the top 10, and I thought it was hilarious, so I went and found the website so that I could read the rest of the top 10 by myself. In just a week I added the 100-hour board to my bookmarks. I know that seems like a very short ammount of time to wait before making that kind of commitment, but what can I say? It was love at first site. ha ha. punny. phew. I crack myself up. :lol:
Yours Truly,
Eponine

"And did you know, Monsieur Marius, I do believe I was a little in love with you..."
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

The ever popular versus question. I'm not sure if it was ever officially banned, but the last answer from "Miss Editor" in the responses was "Congratulations on submitting what will probably be the last A vs. B question that we'll post."
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

Well, last summer I was searching something BYU related and the only place I found the answer was a google search that led me to the board. I really don't remember what I was looking for, but it had something to do with being a freshman. The first semester I read it occaisionally, but didn't really pay much attention. Then Winter semester my friend and I were in some contest and decided to search BYU trivia, we ended up reading the board instead of learning trivia. We still won by the way. After that both of us read the board almost daily. And then I joined and now I'm here.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Sweetness and welcome!
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Mischievous

Post by Mischievous »

Yellow introduced me to the board. I was like "What on earth?" throughout the whole first board question I read (5386) but after the last sentence, I was hooked.
Yellow

Post by Yellow »

Oh, I'm pretty darn sure I know who you are, then. Interesting choice of pseudonym, Mischievous.

And welcome.
Mischievous

Post by Mischievous »

Shhhh!

*Waves hand in front of Yellow*

You don't know me.
Yellow repeats "I don't know you."
I am just another anonymous reader.
Yellow repeats, "You are just another anonymous reader."

Good, I still gots what it takes to do the Jedi mind trick! :wink:
kerouac jr

Post by kerouac jr »

ah shoot. i shoulda registered as my board reader 'nym.

i met the board when my mom asked a question about what names the lettered halls had. i was going to live in Q hall, so she wondered what the real name was. (Eorge I think. I never got if that was a real name or if George lost a g).

i slowly got sucked into the board.

former 'nyms: elkrunkeroso, elbingeroso, the all (knowing/feeling/waiting) bodhisvatta, and a few others.

i pretty much only go by one right now, asking about 2 questions/month
bad grammar makes me [sic]
Twister of Fate

Post by Twister of Fate »

Did I read that right? Your mom knew about the board before you did?
kerouac jr

Post by kerouac jr »

That she did. My sister did as well. My first real encounter with the board was a few months after she showed me that question, when I went to try and find out about getting a beard card, and in a byu search, the board showed up. I've been hooked ever since, a few lapses in reading aside.
bad grammar makes me [sic]