Favorite March 10-15

Which 100HB response was your favorite today? A place to create polls and respond.

Favorite March 10-15

“Dear Hobbes, you are fired.” Which Jane Austen Character are the Board Writers?
5%
I’m Thinking that Maybe, Just Maybe, Claudio Loves the Beatles
14%
Great Moments in Great Sports for Our Great School
9%
Let’s Play a Card Game! Can’t Let all These Great Board Writer Cards Go to Waste
55%
What the Board Writers Think of Each Other – Basically, They’re all Amazing
9%
Yet More to Learn About the Writers; This Question, it’s all About Style
No votes
”Harry Potter and the Platonic Ideal of Teen Angst” New Names for HP Books
9%
Other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 22

Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i voted for claudio and the beatles, because the beatles always win. though the cards were awesome guys. snaps.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Wow, it's kind of a 7-way tie for me...
(Also, I liked the titles you picked this week, bob.)
So many different types of sparrows!
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

This one is hard. I have to go with the cards though--here's my reasoning:
1. I haven't read much Jane Austen
2. Beatles are good, but I'm not a humongous fan
3. "The Immaculate Deflection" was belittled--it's the first BYU game I really got into. Go Eathyn!
4. My browser was stretched really far that day, so cards were great, other long posts annoying to read with the excessive scrolling
5. Harry Potter is awesome, but there wasn't enough ideas in the post
6. I like pictures
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Dead Cat wrote:3. "The Immaculate Deflection" was belittled--it's the first BYU game I really got into. Go Eathyn!
I didn't belittle that game, I just said it didn't belong in the top ten BYU sports moments. That's no shame. I was absolutely ecstatic when that play happened, and Eathyn absolutely deserves a place in BYU sports lore. There have just been more significant moments.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else been bothered by the absurd complexity in the plot to of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire? Really, that just seems like a whole lotta plottin' by evil geniuses to get him to touch a portkey.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Oh, Humble Master, yes yes yes flippin' bally well yes!!!

I mean, yes, I too have often thought what on earth was going on with that. I mean, really...

I also loved the title for book five. And book two. And... you see why this is in the top for the week?

Thanks, Buttercup.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

Humble Master wrote:Just out of curiosity, has anyone else been bothered by the absurd complexity in the plot to of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire? Really, that just seems like a whole lotta plottin' by evil geniuses to get him to touch a portkey.
Aww, come on, what are evil geniuses supposed to do if not create excessively convoluted plots? They were BORN to scheme.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Humble Master wrote:I didn't belittle that game, I just said it didn't belong in the top ten BYU sports moments. That's no shame. I was absolutely ecstatic when that play happened, and Eathyn absolutely deserves a place in BYU sports lore. There have just been more significant moments.
Sorry Humble Master. I guess it's more the fact that I've known Eathyn for years and thought it super-amazing to see an old friend responisble for the game's outcome(and his mom was modest enough to insist that the whole team won the game, not him alone whenever someone mentioned it--though of course, he did the best part).
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Dead Cat wrote:I guess it's more the fact that I've known Eathyn for years
Well, the Personal Connection Factor can certainly put any moment up to number 1 in any fan's list. I expect The Answered Prayer is #1 in Beck and Harline's books (actually, Beck is such a big Detmer fan he might have the victory over Miami as #1...).
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

I cracked up big time when I read the Harry Potter synopses. Humble Master brought up a lot of things that kind of made me furrow my brow when I was reading the books, but I never really put into concise thoughts before. Especially the time-turner and the portkey. It does seem like a lot of time and effort was wasted on that portkey. And really, Hermione's time-turner? Why was she so snappish throughout the book? If I were her, I would sneak a few extra hours for some good naps and additional homework sessions.
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Wisteria wrote:Why was she so snappish throughout the book? If I were her, I would sneak a few extra hours for some good naps and additional homework sessions.
AMEN. Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but there are things that make you go "huh?" throughout.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

I actually liked the answers of the Jane Austen question, but I voted for Claudio's Beatles response. I thought it struck a good balance between informative and introductory. You can tell he's a huge fan, but the question still managed to sound authoritative rather than the biased effusion of a rabid fan. I think this is precisely the arena in which The Board excels; information mixed with learned opinions, answering the questions that no search engine or encyclopedia could ever hope to answer.

Personally, reading through the album list was like catching up with some old friends. I know not everyone is a Beatles fan, but those boys really knew how to make a good pop song. Yes, to quote Scroobious Pip, they were just a band. But what a band!
- Benvolio