Moderate
32%
Independent
32%

Total votes: 22

Giovanni Schwartz

Political Parties

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Yes? No? Zero? Seven? 47? (That was for you, bob. And Goober, I suppose.)
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Re: Political Parties

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Yes? No? Zero? Seven? 47? (That was for you, bob. And Goober, I suppose.)
Moderate is a party?

Also, what if you want to destroy the political infrastructure of both the Democratic and Republican parties?
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Giovanni Schwartz

That's definitely and independent party.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

No Libertarian party? For shame.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

What about the "I know I should care, but I just hate politics anyway" party?
A Mom, but not yours

Post by A Mom, but not yours »

I chose Republican, because my personal views often come closest to that party, but I don't think of myself as a party member of any party. And often vote for Democrats, Independents, etc.
Giovanni Schwartz

Okay, if you actually have a party you support, then that's what you are. If your party is not up there, then you are independent. If you sometimes agree with both major parties, then you are a moderate. If you say Independent, feel free to clarify your vote.
Giovanni Schwartz

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:What about the "I know I should care, but I just hate politics anyway" party?
Go to http://www.politicalcompass.org and find out what it says if you are not sure. Everyone should go there anyways and find out what it says, just for fun.
Last edited by Giovanni Schwartz on Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

my results: Economic Left/Right: -3.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.51

Or just under the x axis line, four to left of the Y axis line.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
A Mom, but not yours

Post by A Mom, but not yours »

LOL

Last time I did that I was almost completely dead center....
Tao

Post by Tao »

Consider this my quarter-vote in each category. Growing up seeing mostly the left-right dichotomy, I was attracted to the independent party as being... well independent. Now I have many of the same difficulties with them as I do with other established parties. Comparing their original agenda with the currently held one is a sad irony comparable to the music genre that has institutionalized its grievances against the institution. Far too few people honestly ask "who are you to tell me to question everything?"

With the test posted above I recieved a score of -1.75, -.05. I was a little surprised to be considered a little left, but that may have more to do with word choice as anything else.
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:
TheAnswerIs42 wrote:What about the "I know I should care, but I just hate politics anyway" party?
Go to http://www.politicalcompass.org and find out what it says if you are not sure. Everyone should go there anyways and find out what it says, just for fun.
I've taken it twice over several months--once I was at -3.5 (toward the democrat side) and once -.25 toward the democrat side...
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

Count my independent vote for Libertarian.
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Post by yellow m&m »

my results:
Economic Left/Right: -2.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Economic Left/Right: -1.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.64

But honestly, my problem isn't that I don't know where I stand. It is that I just don't care. I know I should care, patiotic duty, yada,yada. But politics just anoys me. Sorry.
Giovanni Schwartz

That's how I feel too. It's just that I was putting off working on my government class.
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:That's how I feel too. It's just that I was putting off working on my government class.
That is exactly where my best friend stands... and I have a lot of trouble understanding it. Her stance is that she will care more when she gets older and be more involved then... but I just don't get it. Politics are so interesting! I guess it is the same way that the Calculus prof looks at me and says 'how is it that you don't enjoy my subject???'... but at the same time, it is rare for his subject to influence my everyday life in a palpable way. </rant>

If you weren't willing to listen to my blatherings, here is the summery: I like politics, finding them very thought-provoking, and have trouble understanding those who do not
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I think my problem is that I don't like conflict. I love math because there is no conflict and no opinions. Every math teacher across the country would give you the same grade on your last math test (with the exception of "partial credit" and so forth). That gives me comfort. I don't like arguing with people over what they think is right and what I think is right, though. While politics isn't always angry conflict, there are certainly A LOT of differences of opinion that will never be reconciled.
Giovanni Schwartz

Exactly! That's why I hate writing English essays, because the teacher is always like "No, that's not exactly what we're looking for. Sorry." I've had that said word for word to me no less than three times, possibly more.
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:I think my problem is that I don't like conflict. I love math because there is no conflict and no opinions. Every math teacher across the country would give you the same grade on your last math test (with the exception of "partial credit" and so forth). That gives me comfort. I don't like arguing with people over what they think is right and what I think is right, though. While politics isn't always angry conflict, there are certainly A LOT of differences of opinion that will never be reconciled.
I like discussion, and enjoy mild debate. My biggest problem with politics is just that after a little while, most people stop listening to other's perspectives, so caught up in the thought that they are correct. I find the differences in opinion interesting, because they often hold a compelling point of view according to their experiences. Also, I tend to avoid arguing issues I am dead set on with people I know are the same, except on the opposite side of the argument, because arguing won't change either of our opinions (such as opinions on Israel's occupation of Palestinian lands or abortion).
Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Exactly! That's why I hate writing English essays, because the teacher is always like "No, that's not exactly what we're looking for. Sorry." I've had that said word for word to me no less than three times, possibly more.

I hate hate hate teachers like that. Teachers that believe their way is the right way and the only way to success. The first time I had a teacher start pressuring me like that was second grade writing class--and even then I hated the teacher for it! And yet, English is assessed very subjectively... and sometimes it is a good thing, but sometimes it stinks :(