Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

SPOILER ALERT- Watch part 3 first.

Nice work Katya. What did you guys think of the ending? Nothing improved in the resolution really. But it is nice to have things not work out perfectly in the end sometimes as well. Overall, it was really well done, I think!
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

oh man....we all so got Joss'd with that ending.

i loved captain hammer's breakdown. hilarious.

oh joss...nobody does it better.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

I liked it. It was sad, but I think it is a good demonstration of what can create villains.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Yellow wrote:I really enjoyed the first song from Act II. A lot.
I found lyrics and guitar chords here, if you're interested.
Humble Master

Re: Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog

Post by Humble Master »

Portia wrote:You're the pop culture buff: are there other comic strips/movies where the villain is cast as the protagonist, and his sticking it to The Man seen as admirable?
Someone mentioned Ocean's 11, and all heist films tend to cast the protagonists as vaguely noble because they tend to be stealing from other criminals (or at least corrupt individuals). As far as the villain/protagonist being admirable? The graphic novel V for Vendetta does that, but I don't know how true it's adapted in the film. The best villains at least have motivations that are understandable even if you disagree with the methodology (Magneto, for instance).

Of course, by the end of the third act you're not supposed to be rooting for Dr. Horrible anymore. You can pity him, but you're probably not cheering him on.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Yeah, my list was more or less places where we are following the "bad guy" as our main character. I think if what they are doing is truly admirable, they aren't truly the bad guy anymore. Most of the ones on my list just make us glaze over the bad-ness and root for them anyway. Sorry for glossing over the second qualification in her request.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Re: Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Humble Master wrote: Of course, by the end of the third act you're not supposed to be rooting for Dr. Horrible anymore. You can pity him, but you're probably not cheering him on.
I actually was hoping he would defeat Captain Hammer, because at least Dr. Horrible had a goal and wanted to do some good. Of course the Dr. Horrible we loved in act 1 was only that way because he focused on the rivalry, and was stuck in that, not fulfilling his potential.

Of course with seeing the true colors of Capt. Hammer, he is more villainous now. I only hope that another Penny comes along to shake him out of his stupor (as shown in the last few seconds of act 3 in Horrible's blog.) to turn him over to the side of good. Assuming he still has the objective to save humanity from itself. I doubt that will happen obviously, considering Horrible's thought's on the human condition, but one can hope.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i don't think dr. horrible wanted to save humanity. he wanted to show humanity how stupid it is. he hates that stupidity.

and i doubt joss will make another installment. it's not his style to tie up loose ends.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

Imogen wrote:i doubt joss will make another installment.
Unless there's another writer's strike. Who knows what more unfathomable pent up creativity that would unleash.
- Benvolio
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Poor Firefly...
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Benvolio wrote:
Imogen wrote:i doubt joss will make another installment.
Unless there's another writer's strike. Who knows what more unfathomable pent up creativity that would unleash.
trizzle benvolio. but their contract is good for many, many years. the last time they negotiated a strike was in the '80s. i think this one is up in 5-10 years, but by then joss will probably have moved on from this project especially if dollhouse is a success.

eta-poor firefly indeed, gio. poor firefly indeed.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Just so people know, Whedon is continuing his tv series in comic books. He's overseeing a comic book series referred to as "Buffy Season 8" much as he did the tv series (i.e. he is writing some story arcs himself, and overseeing the story arcs written by other writers (including some writers form the tv show)).

There are also Angel and Spike comic book series called "After the Fall" set right after Angel season five ends, which he is overseeing and consider the official continuation of the series.

And he also has written a couple Firefly mini-series and there are plans for more.
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Joss Whedon and the cast of Dr. Horrible were at Comic-Con, and besides announcing that they planned to do more Dr. Horrible Sing-a-log Blogs, they had this to say:
Before the panel wrapped up, Jed made two announcements about the upcoming "Dr. Horrible" DVD. First, it is going to feature "Commentary: The Musical." Second, soon they will be accepting 3-minute video submissions for the Evil League of Evil, and the top 10 entries will be featured on the DVD. All three chapters of "Dr. Horrible" are available now on iTunes, and the soundtrack will be downloadable within the next couple of weeks.
You could be featured in the Evil League of Evil. Start righting evil songs now!
Last edited by Humble Master on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Humble Master wrote: Start righting evil songs now!
Pun intended?
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i'm excited for more dr. horrible, but when is this man going to sleep?!?!
beautiful, dirty, rich
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
Humble Master wrote: Start righting evil songs now!
Pun intended?
It was a typo initially, and one I was embarrassed to see when I previewed the post, but then it's pun-nish nature became apparent to me, and delighted me. I decided to leave it in the hope that someone would think it was intentional and that I was very clever (obviously, admitting this removes the label of "clever wordsmith" and renders me "inarticulate moron").

I don't what this reveals about my character, but even as I was making the decision to leave "righting" in the post, I thought, "If someone asks if that was on purpose, I'll get to tell the story about the time I saw a typo and watched it grow into a pun..."
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i say this with love in my heart y'all, but you have GOT to get over the "crudeness" of Dr. Horrible. Do you guys read Shakespeare? That is WAY more crude than Dr. Horrible. Give "Romeo and Juliet" a look for examples of crude.

i liked HM's reply on that, but it's also classic Joss Whedon style. It's not gratuitous. It's perfectly within the realm of acceptability. And it makes the guy seem like the jerk he is.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Imogen wrote: i liked HM's reply on that, but it's also classic Joss Whedon style. It's not gratuitous. It's perfectly within the realm of acceptability. And it makes the guy seem like the jerk he is.
That is certainly true, it certainly helped us view Capt. Hammer as a self centered bully than a true superhero. As for the crudeness, we can't expect to be away from it all our lives, and compared with some tv shows or commercials it certainly is tame.

Like when I am with some friends in Salt Lake who can view the simplest and most innocent statement as a lewd joke, its just something you have to deal with and laugh off.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

There was only one part in the second act that I really minded, and that was because I thought it was excessively blunt, even though I felt the point had already been made. I do have to say that I am glad that it wasn't just potty humor, but being the morally conservative person that I am, I did have a problem with that part.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

i had no idea what he meant by hammer.... :twisted: