Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Hee hee... Coggers said hussy.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Imogen wrote:and, honestly, i think ours is a culture that is too pent up about sex and sexuality. violence barely makes a blip on most people's radars. i'd rather watch two people in a film having loving, caring, awesome sex than watch someone get shot or beaten. but i sometimes feel like i'm the only one who feels that way.
I agree about society being too blasé about violence, but I go the other direction with it. Why not avoid both violence and sexuality in media?
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

I think of it in a similar, but different manner.

I can see a reason to have some of both in films/books/et al. It seems to me that the real discussion should be about how graphic the representation is. For instance, you can have someone shot without showing a lot of graphic detail. The audience still understands what is happening, and if used to move forward a worthy plot, it is probably okay with me. In the case of sexuality, I think the same ideas should apply. Show enough so that the audience understands what is happening/happened, without it being graphic.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Hee hee... Coggers said hussy.
You crack me up Giovanni.

Now the rest of you quit being so insightful and taking all the good stuff to say, I mean others would like to contribute too you know.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:

Now the rest of you quit being so insightful and taking all the good stuff to say, I mean others would like to contribute too you know.

He is right! I want to say something meaningful someday!
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Post by yellow m&m »

Werf_Must wrote:
Nanti-SARRMM wrote:

He is right! I want to say something meaningful someday!
Hear Hear!
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Now I am not sure if that worked and that they are waiting for us to respond intelligently, or that they are merely waiting until the opportune moment to post an insightful comment and furthermore deprive us the opportunity to respond.

And yes, I do recognize the irony in asking that instead of actually contributing to the conversation at hand.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Fredjikrang wrote:I think of it in a similar, but different manner.

I can see a reason to have some of both in films/books/et al. It seems to me that the real discussion should be about how graphic the representation is. For instance, you can have someone shot without showing a lot of graphic detail. The audience still understands what is happening, and if used to move forward a worthy plot, it is probably okay with me. In the case of sexuality, I think the same ideas should apply. Show enough so that the audience understands what is happening/happened, without it being graphic.
But what if all the details are important in the artistic design of the overall project? For example, we have so many examples of war and bloodshed in the Book of Mormon that we read when we pass through those chapters. And although it isn't meant to entertain, it is meant to send a message, one part being for the Book of Mormon, to horrify us to effect of war (I think) and serve as a warning to keep in the path of righteousness.

I think that the idea that is trying to be portrayed is important as well, and obviously things have to be done in good taste, for violence, nudity, whatever, and we can't go overboard on either side, else we end up like in that Simpson's episode where they start to ban nudity and in turn ban or cover up the statue of David.

And it all depends on each person, obviously what makes someone feel uncomfortable may not do so for someone else.

Yay for insightful-ish comment!
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
But what if all the details are important in the artistic design of the overall project? For example, we have so many examples of war and bloodshed in the Book of Mormon that we read when we pass through those chapters. And although it isn't meant to entertain, it is meant to send a message, one part being for the Book of Mormon, to horrify us to effect of war (I think) and serve as a warning to keep in the path of righteousness.
I'm not sure where you are going with this.

I actually think that the Book of Mormon is a good example of what I am advocating. The descriptions of violence are plain enough so that the reader gets the image, but don't go down into the gory details.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

I think it's important to note that in general, movies or other visual media have the possibility of being much, much more graphic and detailed than written words can be. Reading the descriptions in the Book of Mormon, as Fredjikrang pointed out, you don't have tons of gory detail. It would be hard to make a movie that depicted similar scenes without being overpoweringly graphic.

I point this out because one (very flawed) argument I've heard before states that "there are parts in the Book of Mormon that are graphic, so what's the problem with violence, etc. in movies?" There's a huge, huge difference in the amount of detail, for one thing. The written word and a photo or film are not the same in their potential for graphic detail. There are other reasons too, but that's the one that stands out to me the strongest.
Nanti-SARRMM wrote:But what if all the details are important in the artistic design of the overall project?
I don't think this is quite what you're talking about, but I think that "art" is a reason that is often misused to excuse objectionable material. Yes, statues or paintings of nudes (for example) can be art. I took an art history class here that really helped me understand that point. But that doesn't mean that every such statue or painting is art, or that such works should be exempt from normal considerations of morality and decency.
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Laser Jock wrote:
Nanti-SARRMM wrote:But what if all the details are important in the artistic design of the overall project?
I don't think this is quite what you're talking about, but I think that "art" is a reason that is often misused to excuse objectionable material. Yes, statues or paintings of nudes (for example) can be art. I took an art history class here that really helped me understand that point. But that doesn't mean that every such statue or painting is art, or that such works should be exempt from normal considerations of morality and decency.
True, I wasn't saying that for the sake of art that there should be exceptions, but that the more important thing is the message. If the message can be gotten across without all the gore, nudity and everything, so much the better. I just believe that it shouldn't be toned down so much that the blood looks like Ketchup or something, but still there are and should be limits of decency of what should be shown.

... I think for the most part we are agreeing, not sure though.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Yeah, I think we're mostly agreeing too. I wouldn't be surprised if we were drawing that line in a different place, but I'm fine with that if we are.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

while i'm ENTHRALLED by the appropriateness convo...

MY FRIEND MET NATHAN FILLION AND I'M SO JEALOUS BECAUSE I WANT TO TOUCH HIM!!! apparently he has very soft hands and is very hunky....i'm so jealous.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Portia

Post by Portia »

(Spoiler alert, for those 3 people in the US who haven't finished it.) Just watched Act III, and in good company at that.

Noooooo! So sad.

One question I have: why do you think Penny says her closing words, in light of what Captain Hammer had said during her speech?
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Imogen wrote: MY FRIEND MET NATHAN FILLION AND I'M SO JEALOUS BECAUSE I WANT TO TOUCH HIM!!! apparently he has very soft hands and is very hunky....i'm so jealous.
Lol.

Where was he seen?
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Portia wrote:(Spoiler alert, for those 3 people in the US who haven't finished it.)
One of five, you mean?

None of the people in my house have seen it.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Fredjikrang wrote:
Imogen wrote: MY FRIEND MET NATHAN FILLION AND I'M SO JEALOUS BECAUSE I WANT TO TOUCH HIM!!! apparently he has very soft hands and is very hunky....i'm so jealous.
Lol.

Where was he seen?
he was at the apple store in LA, thus proving yet again that he's TOTALLY AMAZING.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

It is now on DVD!
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

Imogen wrote:
Fredjikrang wrote:
Lol.

Where was he seen?
he was at the apple store in LA, thus proving yet again that he's TOTALLY AMAZING.
Nanti-SARRMM wrote:It is now on DVD!
For a second there I thought you were saying that the moment Imogen's friend met Nathan Fillon was now on DVD!