Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

The Dark Knight

Post by Imogen »

WAS SO AMAZING!!!!!!!
beautiful, dirty, rich
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

I concur. It was a very good movie.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

I second Nanti-SARRM's concurring.

That movie was fantastic, one of the best comic book adaptations yet (though adaptation is a tricky concept with comic books...). I'll need to see it again to appreciate everything it was doing, but I'd probably put it up there with Batman Begins, Spider-Man 2, X2: X-Men United, and Iron Man (it's delightful to me that there is actually a crowd at the top of the "Best Comic Book Movie" dog pile).
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Would you like a question submitted about Batman to give you that little extra push to see it again?
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:Would you like a question submitted about Batman to give you that little extra push to see it again?
I would certainly not shy away from any Batman questions that were submitted (there's a chapter in my master's thesis on him, and I've taught some class periods on him).

Giovanni, I thought the movie was excellent, but it was extremely dark. It was also extremely deep. There were some very, very thoughtful and philosophical things going on, but I can completely understand if someone does not wish to wade through the darkness to get to the depth. There's no need to defend not seeing it.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I knew I had a good reason for you being one of my favorites, Humble Master. But Sam asked about it on the post beforehand, so I thought I would let him know why I'm not going to see it.
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:I knew I had a good reason for you being one of my favorites, Humble Master. But Sam asked about it on the post beforehand, so I thought I would let him know why I'm not going to see it.
I was just curious, is all.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i thought you made some good points in your blog post, gio. i loved batman, but it's certainly not for everyone.

but here's what i experienced in terms of "laughing at the killing." in the theatre i was in, we all laughed, but afterwards everyone was talking about the REASONS they laughed. what did we find funny about it? why was it portrayed humorously? to make it easier to swallow perhaps? and what DOES it say about our society that we laughed.

what i mean to say is the humor was used in the best possible way: to force us to reflect on ourselves and our culture. that's my favorite kind of humor. just a thought to add to your blog.

also, i still haven't seen batman begins and haven't seen any other batman film in years, and i followed it just fine.

but that doesn't change the fact that is is a VERY dark movie. it had a whole scene that tapped into a person's sense of survival vs. sense of right. that was really dark to me.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Humble Master wrote: would certainly not shy away from any Batman questions that were submitted (there's a chapter in my master's thesis on him, and I've taught some class periods on him).
Which class was this? And is there a class at BYU that reviews the symbolism of comics?
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

It's a class at another university, but it is called "Comic Books in American Culture." Great class. Love it.

At BYU, I know the Pop Culture course in the history department spends some time on comic books. I also know a professor in the English department that spent one class period talking about comic books and Cold War culture, but I don't know what class it was. There is no class that deals specifically with comic books that I am aware of.
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Batman chooses to go rescue Dent instead of Rachel, while hoping that the police can rescue Rachel, because he knows Gotham's need for Dent is more important than his love for Rachel.
Didn't Batman say he was going after Rachel and arrived at Dent because the Joker lied about who was at which location?
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

thats what i thought.
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Yeah, apparently I misinterpreted that part of the film...my bad.