New categories

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

New categories

Post by Katya »

We thought our lovely readers might be interested to know we've added two new categories:

Health: Pregnancy
LDS: Seminary/Institute
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

I wonder to myself if there is a question that falls into both of those categories. Hopefully the former didn't occur during the latter.
- Benvolio
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Has there been enough upset readers to form a category for questions like the one that RM sent in today?
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:Has there been enough upset readers to form a category for questions like the one that RM sent in today?
I thought Portia and Azriel were way more conciliatory in that response than that guy deserved. Kudos to them for having more self control than I would.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Yeah, Cog is right. I mean, it is hard to judge emotion from typing, sure. But there isn't really a good way to interpret "I think the prophet sinned. Tell me why. No opinions, and no facts from outside sources; I want an official church statement from him that confirms what I think. Oh, and don't take one minute over 100 hours." Next we should start quizzing the prophet on why he ONLY has three kids, because I have met idiots who think that few is also a sin. I wish I could have read Portia's original response. That was probably a rather entertaining one.

So what would we call this category? "Beligerent, whiney rants on why your unpaid, hard work wasn't good enough for me"? Not that we actually want to reward them with their own category.
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:Next we should start quizzing the prophet on why he ONLY has three kids
That is an amazing question to consider asking. I'm trying to imagine how that would go over. Some people....wow.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

It was just on my mind because my mother-in-law has been very (vocally) critcal of her oldest son, who stopped after 4 children, while praising the son who after 6 kids in 8 years wants to hit 12. When I saw that our current prophet has 3, the vindictive part of me went HA!!! (Because while 12 is wonderful for some people, my husband and I don't feel like those kind of people at the moment. And that decision will have nothing to do with my mother-in-law, just the results of our personal prayers.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:It was just on my mind because my mother-in-law has been very (vocally) critcal of her oldest son, who stopped after 4 children, while praising the son who after 6 kids in 8 years wants to hit 12. When I saw that our current prophet has 3, the vindictive part of me went HA!!! (Because while 12 is wonderful for some people, my husband and I don't feel like those kind of people at the moment. And that decision will have nothing to do with my mother-in-law, just the results of our personal prayers.)
Shudder . . . in-laws like this scare me. I'm the kids with no cousins, my immediate and extended family could not care less how many kids other have, including myself, when that day comes, from what they've said.

Oh, my original response might have been entertaining, but it would have just goaded him more, and the Board isn't a debate forum. I will say, as an aside, that it's hard to believe from the tone of his questions that he's anything other than somewhat arrogant and patting himself on the back for having gone on a mission himself . . . however, I know readers don't like what they see as unfair judgments, so it's probably best to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I guess I'm going to play devil's advocate here, but what's wrong with suggesting that the prophet may have made a mistake in his past? After all, the point of the gospel is that we can repent and return to Christ, not that we're damned if we ever screw up in the first place. (See Alma the Younger and Saul of Tarsus.) I'm always impressed with people who've worked hard to put their lives back together after they screwed up, and I'd love to see a high-level Church leader like that.
jooniper

Post by jooniper »

I dont' think the problem with suggesting the prophet made a mistake. I think the problem is with either suggesting there was a mistake when there wasn't (as in the case of President Monson not serving a mission) or judging based off of dumb criteria (the amount of children the prophet has had).
If the cause for his non-mission was something worth repenting of, and he'd obviously repented and moved on, then I'd be 100% A-OK with discussing it and all learning from it.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

jooniper wrote:I dont' think the problem with suggesting the prophet made a mistake. I think the problem is with either suggesting there was a mistake when there wasn't (as in the case of President Monson not serving a mission) or judging based off of dumb criteria (the amount of children the prophet has had).
Well, the OP wasn't accusing the prophet of making a mistake, he simply asked if there had been any explanation given for the actions. He gave "disobedience" as a possible option, but also being drafted and seeking "a higher calling," neither of which strikes me as particularly accusatory.
jooniper

Post by jooniper »

You have a valid point. I think I'm just being defensive because I always dislike the "you didn't answer my question right" responses (even though I am not nor have I ever been a writer), even though this may have just been a case of RM trying to clear up that he was misunderstood.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Yeah, I agree that he definitely escalated the argument in his response; I just don't think the original question was so unreasonable.