Question!!

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Benvolio wrote:It's also essentially being internally subsidized.

If it isn't too late to join the conversation about what kind of laptop to get, I would suggest you stay away from the Macbook Air. Apart from the usual worries -- underpowered, no CD drive, etc. -- I've been hearing some disturbing reports of reliability, battery life, and wireless connectivity. The latter is the most disturbing, since wireless connections are essential on such a device.
yeah. my friend ari got one for her birthday and she HATES IT.
beautiful, dirty, rich
orb360

Post by orb360 »

Yeah, I have a Macbook Pro and it's awesome...

Not to say Linux and Windows don't also have their uses...

Plus owning a Mac will get you dates... The guy who sold it to me told me so!
Everything below the line of coherence may be safely ignored.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I want an iPod touch!
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I won't be getting any money for a couple of weeks, so I'll easily be able to wait and see what develops price- and upgrades-wise.

I don't really need a new laptop, and after reading bad things about the Air, I decided I'd rather buy a new Ipod than buy a new laptop and get an Ipod free.

Lastly, I knew it would be a good idea to ask y'all. Thanks, mates.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Where are all these bad things about the Air being said? I have only heard good things about it.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Giovanni Schwartz

For my seminary graduation present, (Yes, we get one of those in my family, apparently), I'm going to get a Macbook, probably Pro. It's weird for me to think that's only a year away. But yeah, for seminary graduation we get a laptop. It makes me happy.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

I can't remember what I got for graduation, but it was definitely not a laptop. Lucky bum. ;)
orb360

Post by orb360 »

I got a 10 dollar CTR ring...

Which I haven't taken off in years...
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

i can't remember when i graduated, but it definitely wasn't this century.
Giovanni Schwartz

Fredjikrang wrote:I can't remember what I got for graduation, but it was definitely not a laptop. Lucky bum. ;)
That's just for seminary graduation. For normal graduation I get a new cell phone, as opposed to a handmedown from my dad.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Again. Lucky bum.
xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Post by xkcd *** »

Fredjikrang wrote:Where are all these bad things about the Air being said? I have only heard good things about it.
My grandmother has an Air, and she loves it.

Gio, for my seminary graduation, I got nuthin. For high school graduation, I got shares.

You are a lucky bum.
Giovanni Schwartz

Yep. But my parent's philosophy is that you have to have a computer for college, and that it might as well be a laptop.
xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Post by xkcd *** »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Yep. But my parent's philosophy is that you have to have a computer for college, and that it might as well be a laptop.
What do you get for a birthday in your family?
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Yep. But my parent's philosophy is that you have to have a computer for college, and that it might as well be a laptop.
Huh funny. My families policy is, "Want a computer? Buy it yourself." The policy regarding cell phones and cars is practically identical.
orb360

Post by orb360 »

Fredjikrang wrote:
Huh funny. My families policy is, "Want a computer? Buy it yourself." The policy regarding cell phones and cars is practically identical.
Yeah... my family extended that to pretty much everything...

I pretty much got a room, food, and clothes until 17... had to buy my own after that. (oh and presents for birthday / christmas)

Although my parent did cover the first two years of my college education... Most of that was paid by scholarships anyway lol.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Yep yep, same here. I paid for my own tuition, books, laptop, food, braces, scooter, and stuff. I've also loaned my parents money and helped pay for my siblings' music tours. And for school dances, in the case of my brother Draik.

I don't even remember what I got for graduation. Aside from the really cool pictures that we now can't find.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
orb360

Post by orb360 »

wow... I've never loaned money to my parents!

Guess that's something to put on to the todo list lol...
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

All I got for graduation was a watch. Mind you it is a solar powered atomic watch for about $60, but nonetheless, not as cool as Gio's gifts.

And I had to buy my own computer too. I am thinking now I should have sprung for a laptop instead of a custom newegg desktop.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
orb360

Post by orb360 »

Well with tech prices as they are... desktops are more powerful and cheaper than laptops...

And how often would you need to carry it around anyway?

I've never needed a portable computer before... I bought my macbook on a whim, and although it's nice... Not necessary...