VP picks

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

given the amount of experience that palin has, would she have ever been picked if she was a man? ok, i think that should give you a bit of hint about the motivation of the mccain campaign (it starts with a P and ends with an UMA).
orb360

Post by orb360 »

bismark wrote:given the amount of experience that palin has, would she have ever been picked if she was a man? ok, i think that should give you a bit of hint about the motivation of the mccain campaign (it starts with a P and ends with an UMA).
Personally... I think he should have picked Hillary as VP...

Democrat, so they will love you...
Has lots of experience in politics... (an excellent liar...)
and voted against FISA!! (big points from me here!)
Everything below the line of coherence may be safely ignored.
Avocado

Post by Avocado »

Imogen wrote:i just read an article that made an interesting point about Palin: she's more inexperienced than Obama. if McCain dies, she's our president. and since McCain has harped about Obama's experience level, this seems odd.
I've heard different accounts and opinions of this. An interesting discussion is here: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread386345/pg1
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

orb360 wrote: Personally... I think he should have picked Hillary as VP...
Except that Hillary comes across as a snake, or in other words, the worst parts of politics, to a fairly sizable portion of the population. Considering Obama's image of a fresh, honest, face, I think that she would have hurt his cause.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

hilary is the very definition of a sneaky politician. she would hurt any ticket she was on. people who wanted her are delusional.

and no one ever plans on dying while in office, but it's certainly not unheard of. i'm sure FDR wasn't planning on that stroke. and mckinley wasn't expecting that assassin. presidents should think ahead and have a VP who is ready to lead. and since mccain is old and has had cancer several times, he should be thinking about that.
beautiful, dirty, rich
orb360

Post by orb360 »

Fredjikrang wrote:
orb360 wrote: Personally... I think he should have picked Hillary as VP...
Except that Hillary comes across as a snake, or in other words, the worst parts of politics, to a fairly sizable portion of the population. Considering Obama's image of a fresh, honest, face, I think that she would have hurt his cause.
Obama has his fair share of lies...

But if Obama took her on as VP it would have hurt him because of all the in fighting there was during the primaries...
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Actually, FDR knew he was in very poor health when he ran for his fourth term. He might not have publicly discussed it, but there was a lot of heated debate over who his Vp pick should be for that term, since a lot of people acknowledged that he just might be selecting the next president. Just a note.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

orb360 wrote: Obama has his fair share of lies...
They both do unfortunately. Can we pass an amendment or a law saying that neither party can chose or endorse a candidate, we might actually get someone intelligent in the white house again.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
orb360

Post by orb360 »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
orb360 wrote: Obama has his fair share of lies...
They both do unfortunately. Can we pass an amendment or a law saying that neither party can chose or endorse a candidate, we might actually get someone intelligent in the white house again.
Nah... Stupidity and a lack of integrity is in the job description.
A Mom, but not yours

Post by A Mom, but not yours »

An interesting observation on Hilary that came up in a discussion with my daughter recently:

Most first ladies are admired or ignored. They are known for their causes while their husband is in office. The closest I'd ever seen was people laughing at Nancy Reagan's "Just say no" campaign. But the attacks were never aimed at her, just at her cause. When Hilary was first lady, I saw/heard just as many jokes about her as I did about Bill. What that says, I'm not sure, but she certainly didn't fill the same public role as first lady as any others in my experience.
orb360

Post by orb360 »

A Mom, but not yours wrote:An interesting observation on Hilary that came up in a discussion with my daughter recently:

Most first ladies are admired or ignored. They are known for their causes while their husband is in office. The closest I'd ever seen was people laughing at Nancy Reagan's "Just say no" campaign. But the attacks were never aimed at her, just at her cause. When Hilary was first lady, I saw/heard just as many jokes about her as I did about Bill. What that says, I'm not sure, but she certainly didn't fill the same public role as first lady as any others in my experience.
I suspect that she was treated that way because Bill did not respect her. This probably led to the general public treating her in the same way.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

I think I would redo the primary system, so that all the elections are held on the same day in February or March, instead of spread out. It is then more like the real elections, two, you don't have the first states to vote influencing or putting pressure on candidates to drop out because they didn't win a state, all the states get to vote, and have an equal say, and that way there is no long drawn out process or battling like there was with the Democrats.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
orb360

Post by orb360 »

It should also be popular vote...

One of the main reasons for the electoral college was the logistics of tallying everyone's votes.

We have the technology to easily overcome this.
xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Post by xkcd *** »

orb360 wrote:It should also be popular vote...

One of the main reasons for the electoral college was the logistics of tallying everyone's votes.

I do agree with that.

But sometimes, I don't trust the people who design the technology.
But thick as you are, pay attention!
My words are a matter of Pride.

My Goal: To make enough money to hire Jeremy Irons, the voice of Scar from The Lion King, to follow me around and do my dialogue.
orb360

Post by orb360 »

xkcd *** wrote:
orb360 wrote:It should also be popular vote...

I do agree with that.

But sometimes, I don't trust the people who design the technology.
I'd trust the people who design it...

Just not their ability to write perfect code.

And regardless... We still have to deal with hanging chad business with the current methods....
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Yeah, if we got rid of the electoral college, then I'd feel my vote has more impact. As I see it, I can vote either way and it won't matter either way as Utah is such a red state.
orb360

Post by orb360 »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:Yeah, if we got rid of the electoral college, then I'd feel my vote has more impact. As I see it, I can vote either way and it won't matter either way as Utah is such a red state.
pretty much... it's like.. 97% republican lol...
sqrt(-1)

Post by sqrt(-1) »

Oh come on! I know a couple Mormon democrats! LOL! :lol:
woe me
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

sqrt(-1) wrote:Oh come on! I know a couple Mormon democrats! LOL! :lol:
Against how many republicans? With a winner take all electoral system?
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Post by yellow m&m »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
sqrt(-1) wrote:Oh come on! I know a couple Mormon democrats! LOL! :lol:
Against how many republicans? With a winner take all electoral system?
I agree with Nanti. Even if there are a few Mormon democrats, they won't affect much in Utah.

But I do like changing the system. I know that the electoral collage has been very useful, but I wonder if there is a way to do a popular vote, 100%. A purer democracy, perhaps.
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise