Randomness

A place for the Admins to post announcements about upcoming events and changes in policy.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Agreed. I haven't been visiting the board board often lately for this very reason. It was starting to sound like a bunch of teenagers being silly together. And off topic.
xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Post by xkcd *** »

Wisteria wrote:Agreed. I haven't been visiting the board board often lately for this very reason. It was starting to sound like a bunch of teenagers being silly together. And off topic.
I for one, am still a teenager.
But thick as you are, pay attention!
My words are a matter of Pride.

My Goal: To make enough money to hire Jeremy Irons, the voice of Scar from The Lion King, to follow me around and do my dialogue.
orb360

Post by orb360 »

I still don't see why everything has to be so uptight and on topic all the time...

conversations drift... it's natural for them to do so... and being on the humorous side to lighten things up is a lot of fun.
Everything below the line of coherence may be safely ignored.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

It's not so much that they drift from the topic. More that within a few posts they no longer have anything to do with the topic. We will allow some wandering and so on, but sudden, rapid changes in topic will be regulated.

If you would like to post something that doesn't have anything to do with the topic, consider instead starting a new topic.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

orb360 wrote:I still don't see why everything has to be so uptight and on topic all the time...

conversations drift... it's natural for them to do so... and being on the humorous side to lighten things up is a lot of fun.
Well, the entire tenor of the forum has shifted recently and dramatically, and many of the older members find it annoying. So, it's a matter of priorities. If we want to keep this a place where more substantial conversations will take place, then apparently we need to have some rules in place. If not, then many of the members who enjoyed contributing in the past will stop contributing and drift away.
orb360

Post by orb360 »

Fredjikrang wrote:It's not so much that they drift from the topic. More that within a few posts they no longer have anything to do with the topic. We will allow some wandering and so on, but sudden, rapid changes in topic will be regulated.

If you would like to post something that doesn't have anything to do with the topic, consider instead starting a new topic.
I'm going to take this and run with it...
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Katya wrote:
orb360 wrote:I still don't see why everything has to be so uptight and on topic all the time...

Well, the entire tenor of the forum has shifted recently and dramatically, and many of the older members find it annoying. So, it's a matter of priorities. If we want to keep this a place where more substantial conversations will take place, then apparently we need to have some rules in place. If not, then many of the members who enjoyed contributing in the past will stop contributing and drift away.

I agree with Katya, and I am probably a sillier member of the mb. I have enjoyed the conversations and the discussions about serious stuff. Things have just been tipped over to the side of silly too much.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Post by yellow m&m »

I add my voice to the voice of reason. I am sorry if I have added to randomness when real discussion was desired. I suppose I have a hard time being serious online, but I will keep the randomness in those threads, and let the real discussion remain untouched. I like the voice of all ages, and if the older ones would leave it would take much of the spark out of this message board. I'm sorry it got so out of hand that you had to point it out to us, but I will do better.

I love you guys!
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

orb360 wrote: I'm going to take this and run with it...
Fred, shh! You're not supposed to be giving him ideas. Now he'll just make a bunch of new topics.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
Fred, shh! You're not supposed to be giving him ideas. Now he'll just make a bunch of new topics.
Again, if he's abusing privileges, those privileges can be taken away. :twisted:
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Katya wrote:
Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
Again, if he's abusing privileges, those privileges can be taken away. :twisted:
... I never pictured you as mischievous Katya... But then again, I have been known to underestimate the power of librarians.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

yellow m&m wrote:I add my voice to the voice of reason. I am sorry if I have added to randomness when real discussion was desired. I suppose I have a hard time being serious online, but I will keep the randomness in those threads, and let the real discussion remain untouched. I like the voice of all ages, and if the older ones would leave it would take much of the spark out of this message board. I'm sorry it got so out of hand that you had to point it out to us, but I will do better.

I love you guys!
Thanks Yellow m&m! I means a lot to me that you are willing to try to do better. :D
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
orb360

Post by orb360 »

Katya wrote:
Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
Meh... power trippin' mod's don't scare me much...

I don't plan on abusing it... I was commenting on what a great idea it was and if/when I see a use for it, I will try it out.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
Katya wrote:
Nanti-SARRMM wrote: Fred, shh! You're not supposed to be giving him ideas. Now he'll just make a bunch of new topics.
... I never pictured you as mischievous Katya... But then again, I have been known to underestimate the power of librarians.
Heh. I'm a lot less staid in person than I can seem online.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

xkcd***, I'll try not to hold your teenagerhood against you. I was once a teenager . . .
I mean no disrespect to teenagers. I often found it quite annoying when people lumped all teenagers together to mean "immature people." Unfortunately, since then I seem to have fallen prey to the same habit. Maybe if they made more of an effort to sound intelligent . . .
And Katya, you are one of my favorites, I must say.
xkcd ***

Post by xkcd *** »

Wisteria wrote:xkcd***, I'll try not to hold your teenagerhood against you. I was once a teenager . . .
I mean no disrespect to teenagers. I often found it quite annoying when people lumped all teenagers together to mean "immature people." Unfortunately, since then I seem to have fallen prey to the same habit. Maybe if they made more of an effort to sound intelligent . . .
It's okay. I don't hold grudges.
I would like to think that I am intelligent, however, I am not fond of (older) adults pressuring me to be more serious/grown up. I enjoy being lighthearted, and having fun most of the time. I'll take advantage of the time that I've been given to act as youthful as possible with it being somewhat socially acceptable. I'm usually pretty good about when it's time to be serious, but I would prefer to joke around if given the opportunity.

Seriously, though, I fear the day I become too old to play cops and robbers, finger paint, or jump in puddles.

My Goal: To make enough money to hire Jeremy Irons, the voice of Scar from The Lion King, to follow me around and do my dialogue.
orb360

Post by orb360 »

xkcd *** wrote:
Wisteria wrote:xkcd***, I'll try not to hold your teenagerhood against you. I was once a teenager . . .
I would like to think that I am intelligent, however, I am not fond of (older) adults pressuring me to be more serious/grown up. I enjoy being lighthearted, and having fun most of the time. I'll take advantage of the time that I've been given to act as youthful as possible with it being somewhat socially acceptable. I'm usually pretty good about when it's time to be serious, but I would prefer to joke around if given the opportunity.

Seriously, though, I fear the day I become too old to play cops and robbers, finger paint, or jump in puddles.
You don't have to worry... Boys stop maturing at 17... (unless you're a girl... then you should start worrying... O_o )
xkcd ***

Post by xkcd *** »

orb360 wrote:
xkcd *** wrote:

You don't have to worry... Boys stop maturing at 17... (unless you're a girl... then you should start worrying... O_o )
Thanks for your words of consolation.