dear michelle quilter

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
bismark
Old Man

dear michelle quilter

Post by bismark »

you ma'am, are an idiot.
I have heard many BYU students say that we know that we are children of God, and so there is nothing really wrong with evolution. This is a false statement. The teaching of evolution has an erosive effect. It is subtle and harmful. Evolution is in opposition to the doctrine that we are children of God, the creation, the fall and the atonement, and warps all moral law. In the Book of Mormon, we learn about the anti-Christs such as Sherem, Nehor and Korihor. What did they teach? “Every man fared in this life according to the management of the creature; therefore every man prospered according to his genius, and that every man conquered according to his strength; and whatsoever a man did was no crime.” These are the same doctrines that come from the teaching of evolution. It’s a plan of selfishness. It contradicts the golden rule. It leads to situational ethics. It slaps mankind in the face. Why did many Nephites indulge in what Korihor taught? Like those who supported Korihor, many are now saying that what we have been taught in the past is the “effect of a frenzied mind; and that this derangement of your minds comes because of the traditions of your fathers.” Why as BYU students are we accepting and allowing these things to be taught at this university?
yeah i'm pretty sure she just called the entire biology department and people like my little brother (who wrote a great letter to the editor on wednesday about evolution) "anti-christs". she needs to stfu. she makes people from lehi look bad, and thats saying a lot.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Holy crap. Intellectually, I know people that dense exist on campus, but it's still a shock to see actual evidence.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Identity Crysis

Post by Identity Crysis »

Evolution, like most things in this life, is one of those things that contains both truths and falsehoods.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

identity crysis, thank you for reminding us all that no scientific theory is ever complete. i accept evolution as much as gravity. i know the theory of gravity isn't completely correct, but since the evidence shows that our ideas are mostly correct, i don't plan on stepping off a cliff any time soon.
Identity Crysis

Well gravity is still just a theory

All it takes is one bismark stepping off a cliff* and not falling to disprove it, you know...

Just think of all the scientific progress you're holding back by not attempting to disprove the theory!

*Stepping off cliffs may be hazardous to your health. Safety precautions are advisable.
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

I know we're all entitled to our opinions or whatever, but a lot of these people's opinions are based on things that are straight-up false...like the idea that evolution "warps all moral law"... People should figure out what evolution means before they go around comparing biologists to anti-Christs. That's what I said in my letter to the editor, anyway.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Identity Crysis wrote:Well gravity is still just a theory
Do you understand what "theory" means, in a scientific setting?
Identity Crysis

Katya wrote:
Identity Crysis wrote:Well gravity is still just a theory
Do you understand what "theory" means, in a scientific setting?
A generally accepted principle that explains an observation...

If new, contradicting observations are made, then they invalidate the theory.

(in this case, someone would observe bismark not falling, though he should be*, thus invalidating the theory of gravity and requiring a new explanation to the set of observations)

Such as "The Big Bang Theory" is a set of ideas about the creation of the universe based upon observations of how it acts today.

And it changes all the time as new data becomes available. Same with String Theory.

Though, maybe I should have referred to it as the "Law of Gravity". Though, even still, scientific law is just a theory that hasn't been disproved in numerous experiments. One more experiment could come along and disprove it one day requiring reevaluation of the entire thing.

*Not falling due to a different behavior of gravity, not through other means.