So...

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Humble Master

So...

Post by Humble Master »

...who is excited for all the superhero movies coming out this summer?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: So...

Post by Katya »

I am! Well, if they turn out to be good.

In other (superhero) news, I only recently saw Hellboy for the first time and absolutely loved it.
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

The sequel is also fantastic. I think I preferred the sequel, though it's been awhile since I've seen either of them.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I'm excited to see it. (I can't get it from Netflix yet because I need to listen to the director's commentary of the original, first.)
Last edited by Katya on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Humble Master wrote:...who is excited for all the superhero movies coming out this summer?
I didn't realize the new X-Men movie was coming out this summer until I saw your FB profile, so maybe there are other films out there I'm not aware of. Care to give me the rundown of what's coming out and why I should care?
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

In chronological order:

Thor (May 6)
X-Men: First Class (June 3)
Green Lantern (June 17)
Captain America: The First Avenger (July 22) - Why this one isn't getting released on July 4 is beyond me, I'm baffled
Cowboys and Aliens (July 29) - It's not superhero, but it's based on a graphic novel, so I'm counting it
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Which should I be most excited about, HM?
Deus ab veritas
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

I'm most excited for Thor. I can't wait to see what Kenneth Brannagh is going to do with a massive budget, superheroes, and Loki.

I've also been impressed with what I've seen of Captain America, too. Those two are building up to next summer's Avengers movie, with Iron Man, Hulk, etc., so I hope they deliver. Samuel L. Jackson should be making his regular Nick Fury cameo in both.

I'm cautiously optimistic about X-Men and Cowboys and Aliens, and a little bit worried about Green Lantern.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Humble Master wrote:and a little bit worried about Green Lantern.
Because it's not Nathan Fillion? :(
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

He's the voice of the Green Lantern in a new animated movie being released on DVD a couple weeks before the movie. Which means Two Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place had two Green Lanterns on it (apparently...I've never seen an episode...).
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Humble Master wrote:He's the voice of the Green Lantern in a new animated movie being released on DVD a couple weeks before the movie.
Was that inspired by the fake trailer?
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

There's been no official comment, but I like to think it was.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Katya wrote:I'm excited to see it. (I can't get it from NetFlix yet because I need to listen to the director's commentary of the original, first.)
I have thought about your camelcase capitalization of 'Netflix' far too much in the last five minutes not to comment on it.
Democritus

Post by Democritus »

I am pretty excited for Thor. I'm...nervous about Green Lantern. I am ambivalent about the X-Men movie (I can't shake off the bad taste I got in my mouth after the Wolverine movie and that...third...X-Men movie). I'm cautiously optimistic about Captain America.

And honestly, I'm very intrigued by Cowboys and Aliens. I mean, Daniel Craig AND Harrison Ford in the same movie? Wow.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

ahem. wrote:
Katya wrote:I'm excited to see it. (I can't get it from NetFlix yet because I need to listen to the director's commentary of the original, first.)
I have thought about your camelcase capitalization of 'Netflix' far too much in the last five minutes not to comment on it.
Fixed.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

are you excited that the Marvel vs. Capcom game is coming out for ps3?
Waldorf and Sauron

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

First of all, I loved Green Hornet, and think it's one of the best superhero movies.

Okay, in order of excitement, from most to least, on a scale of 10:
Cowboys and Aliens - 8
X-Men: First Class - 6
Captain America -5
Thor - 4
Green Lantern - 0 - This one looks just awful
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Whistler wrote:are you excited that the Marvel vs. Capcom game is coming out for ps3?
Not particularly, as I don't own a PS3.
Waldorf and Sauron wrote:First of all, I loved Green Hornet, and think it's one of the best superhero movies.

Okay, in order of excitement, from most to least, on a scale of 10:
Cowboys and Aliens - 8
X-Men: First Class - 6
Captain America -5
Thor - 4
Green Lantern - 0 - This one looks just awful
I really don't know what happened to the Green Lantern movie. I say that in the past tense, which is weird because obviously nobody has seen it and maybe the marketing has just been bad. If told a couple years ago that in one summer they would be releasing another X-Men movie, a Thor movie, a Captain American movie, and a GL movie, I would have said that Green Lantern was the one most suited for adaptation to a movie (especially because X-Men 3 tarnished that particular franchise considerably). But the trailer they released for Green Lantern was a misfire in my opinion, and the costume looked terrible. It's definitely the one I'm least excited for.

I thought the last third of Green Hornet really worked well and was some of the best superhero film making in awhile. The middle third was a bit forced (while the fight they had was awesome, the logic of getting there was strained). I loved some of Gondry's visuals, but I'm still not sure what the Kato-running-over-lots-duplicate-cars was supposed to communicate to the audience.