Sex Education in the Church

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

UnluckyStuntman

Re: Sex Education in the Church

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

Defy V wrote: So what is the right age? Is there a right age? A right range of ages?
My parents took the approach that when we asked about it, they would talk about it. Of course, they took into account our age and personality types, so it was different with each kid. I was particularly curious, so I've understood the basics of the reproductive cycle since I was two. As I got older, I would ask something else and my mother would keep adding to what she'd already taught me. So, eventually, we went from really basic stuff ("here is a picture of a uterus") to actually talking about sex - including physiological and emotional implications.

My sister was less curious, so she didn't even get the basic stuff till she was probably ten or eleven, which seems to have suited her just fine.

So, I guess in my opinion, there isn't a "right" age. I think that having the information available and being open to talk about it when kids are ready is what is most important.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i like what unlucky said above. you know, i have a dear friend who is so embarrassed by sex and talking about sex that she doesn't want to have the talk with her children. she doesn't even want to discuss periods with them. she expects her fiance will do all of that when they have kids. which i think is unrealistic. i never wanted to talk to my dad about periods or anything. without my mom, i would've been doomed.

if a five year old asks where babies come from, you don't have to get into specifics and all the different types of conceptions and families. age appropriate information is important. and i also don't think you need to have a big TALK and put a lot of pressure on yourself or your child. just be open and honest.
beautiful, dirty, rich
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

Imogen wrote: i never wanted to talk to my dad about periods or anything. without my mom, i would've been doomed.
I think you make a very good point here, especially since there are certain things which are best explained by someone of the same gender. Some things are just so much better (and make more sense) when they come from someone who has experienced the same thing. My mother understands a lot about the physiology of the male body, but I know she preferred it when my dad handled certain questions from my brothers - if only because he had personal experience with that stuff.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dragon Lady wrote:But I don't think that knowing more makes you want to try more. I think it just makes you more educated.
I agree with this, to be clear.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

My mom asked me once if I knew what sex was, I told her yes. She tried to ask a few more questions, but I avoided them. After that I don't think the subject ever came up again. I plan on talking to her more, but not until I'm engaged, just because that's how I am. I don't remember the period discussion, so when my first ended I was convinced i was pregnant. My mom did laugh at me for that one, and we had that discussion again. I do wish I knew a little bit more about the subject than I do, and will admit to curiosity about the male side of things, but I don't really have anyone I'm comfortable asking. As in I don't talk about anything remotely uncomfortable with anyone. So I figure I'll just wait until I'm engaged, or crash a class on the subject sometime. I do have a fear that I will end up a widow knowing nothing to tell my sons.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

@Unit, I'd suggest reading And They Were Not Ashamed. It's a very tactful book written by Mormons for Mormons about sex. They go through all the basics, what to expect, etc. Where you're not engaged, you may be a little uncomfortable reading it now (though I'm willing to bet that you'll be uncomfortable reading it when you're engaged, too) but if you really are curious, it's a very well-written book on the subject that handles the topic with all the sacredness it deserves.

@Sky Bones, the last last paragraph that's really more of a sentence? Or the last full paragraph about the male horse? On a side note about that paragraph, I called my mom the other day after being out with my father-in-law's horses and said, "Mom! Guess what I did today?! I pet a male horse, and I'm pregnant!!!!" We both got a good laugh out of that one. :)

@Defy, I'm gonna go with most of the answers above and say there is no "right" age. And I agree with Imogen that there doesn't have to be one big talk. I plan on teaching my children age-appropriate things as they grow. I want them to always feel comfortable asking questions when they think of them. I'd much rather them ask me awkward questions than asking their friends or patching together things off TV. If I never make the topic awkward, and if it's never a topic I walk on eggshells around, then it will simply never be awkward. You can start early by teaching your kids the proper names for body parts and not being ashamed of them yourselves. When you teach them their toes and their nose, you don't have to ignore the private parts. You also don't have to make a big deal out of them. Maybe you don't to teach them those parts right away and that's fine. But when you're potty training, you've got a perfect opportunity to teach kids proper terminology and that they are sacred and special parts. Just like we don't show them in public, we don't talk about them in public. That's also a great time to teach them that they should never let anyone else touch those parts and if someone does, please come tell Mommy or Daddy. Little things like that make for prime teaching moments. Things that are natural and come up anyway. Don't make a big deal out of them or a special occasion. Just… use everyday moments to teach a little bit at a time.

Or when a 5-year old asks where babies come from you could say something like, "When a mom and a dad fall in love and get married, Heavenly Father gives them a special gift of a baby. The baby grows from a really tiny speck to a full baby inside mommy's body." And you can focus on the development of the baby in mommy's tummy. When that child turns 6 or 7 and thinks about it more and asks, "But Mom, how does the baby get inside your belly?" You can still keep it simple by saying that all mommies have a bunch of eggs inside of them and all daddies have sperm inside of them. When they are ready to have a baby, the daddy can give the mommy some of his sperm and when the sperm and eggs meet, they make a baby. Just like when you mix flour and eggs and sugar and milk, they make a cake." Then focus on how two things combining can make something completely different. You can always focus the conversation on what you want the focus to be on. If you're not comfortable talking to your 7-year old about the actual act of sex, then focus on a different part of reproduction. And always, always, make it age-appropriate.

If you have little conversations like that consistently, you never have to have a big "talk" and it makes the topic less awkward in your home, so when your kids have questions, they're comfortable enough to ask.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Speaking of age appropriate answers, when I was about 3 or 4 I asked my mom why some people are boys and some people are girls. My mom has degrees in genetics and microbiology and is a bit of a nerd, so she was very excited about that question. She proceeded to tell me all about genetics, and X and Y chromosomes, and meiosis. I did not follow what she was talking about at all, so she finally just said something like, "We were boys and girls when we lived in Heaven with Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother, so now that we're on Earth, we're still boys and girls." I was like, "OH! Okay!"
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

NerdGirl wrote:Speaking of age appropriate answers, when I was about 3 or 4 I asked my mom why some people are boys and some people are girls. My mom has degrees in genetics and microbiology and is a bit of a nerd, so she was very excited about that question. She proceeded to tell me all about genetics, and X and Y chromosomes, and meiosis. I did not follow what she was talking about at all, so she finally just said something like, "We were boys and girls when we lived in Heaven with Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother, so now that we're on Earth, we're still boys and girls." I was like, "OH! Okay!"
:lol: I'm so going to be that kind of mom on certain topics.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I WISH I had had that kind of parent. I think something critical here is to remember all kids are different, and so "age appropriate" is entirely different for different kids. I was always dissatisfied with the sort of insubstantial answers my parents thought I was ready for (on this and other topics) and always forced to do my own research.
Deus ab veritas
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Marduk wrote:I WISH I had had that kind of parent. I think something critical here is to remember all kids are different, and so "age appropriate" is entirely different for different kids. I was always dissatisfied with the sort of insubstantial answers my parents thought I was ready for (on this and other topics) and always forced to do my own research.

i guess a better way of putting it then would be age and child appropriate. hopefully the parent will be in tune with their child enough to know how much information they can handle.

i learned a lot about sex from movies. the only sex talk i got was "you better not get pregnant or i'll kill you." but seeing how my mom was affected by my brother having a child at 16 had a profound impact on me. it made me scared to have sex and scared to upset my mother so much.

at least she was good about the "getting your period" talk.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Imogen wrote: without my mom, i would've been doomed.
Neither of my parents ever talked to me about sex, and my mom especially never talked to me about periods. Mine came, I dealt with it, and never mentioned it to anybody. I have six sisters, but somehow we never talked about that sort of thing. No one ever said "Ughh...my cramps are so bad today" and frankly I'm glad. There was no drama, no PMSing to deal with. The trouble now is that I have no idea how I'll talk to my own kids, but I'm not entirely convinced that I need to. I picked things up in school and turned out okay.

As for why it's so uncomfortable for Mormons to talk about sex, I imagine it's because none of us get around much. We have really limited experience, so any sex story we tell is clearly about one person. That and because our experience is so limited we have no way of knowing what's normal and what's not. Have you ever been sitting around in a circle making observations about life and it's all fine until someone says something that's clearly not normal, but they don't realize it? My sister had a friend say "Yeah, like how peoples' ears bleed in the shower!" and the whole room went quiet before they explained to her that that was NOT normal and she should see a doctor right away.

Lastly, I love to hate the show Seventh Heaven because the mom drives me batty. She's the exact opposite of my own mom, so everything she does infuriates me. There's an episode where Ruthie gets her first period, and somehow her mom finds out and is hurt because Ruthie didn't tell her about it. Even then she's all excited because her baby is now a woman, so she wants to go out and celebrate, but Ruthie just wants to be left alone. In the end Ruthie ends up apologizing to her mom for not telling her and I wanted to put scream because they had got it all backwards. It was supposed to be the mom who learned a lesson about privacy, not Ruthie who learned a lesson about telling your mom absolutely everything that happens to you because she's emotionally needy.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Genuine Article wrote:There was no drama, no PMSing to deal with.
You do realize that PMS exists even if no one talks about it, right?
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Katya wrote:
To be honest, I've never experienced much PMS, and I think to some extent it can be a frame of mind, like how if enough people tell you that you look sick you start to believe it. If you're expected to feel ill before your period, you probably will. I'm not saying I don't think PMS is real, I'm just saying that I haven't really noticed it much in my own life. Or maybe I've just mentally halcyon-ized the days of my youth.
Last edited by Genuine Article on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Genuine Article wrote:
Katya wrote:
To be honest, I've never experienced much PMS, and I think to some extent it can be a frame of mind, like how if enough people tell you that you look sick you start to believe it. If you're expected to feel ill before you period, you probably will. I'm not saying I don't think PMS is real, I'm just saying that I haven't really noticed it much in my own life. Or maybe I've just mentally halcyon-ized the days of my youth.
Fair enough. And there are some people who feel happier if they can complain about something and get some sympathy, while other people feel happier if they can deal with a situation privately without others being involved.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

There have been some studies one women's moods throughout months that had trouble finding evidence for PMS, except in a small population. I think that there are definitely hormonal changes, but that often our culture makes them out to be bigger than they are (also, cramps make me miserable, but that would be a MS?).
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

My parents were very intentional about answering questions about sex in an age-appropriate way. Case in point: When my sister was maybe three, she asked my mom where babies came from. Mom gave a very simple answer about how men and women are different, and it takes both a man and a woman to put a baby inside the mommy's tummy. So my dad gets home from work that night, and my sister marches up to him and announces, "Daddy, I know that you have a penis!"

Aaaand, that is my family for you.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Emiliana wrote:My parents were very intentional about answering questions about sex in an age-appropriate way. Case in point: When my sister was maybe three, she asked my mom where babies came from. Mom gave a very simple answer about how men and women are different, and it takes both a man and a woman to put a baby inside the mommy's tummy. So my dad gets home from work that night, and my sister marches up to him and announces, "Daddy, I know that you have a penis!"

Aaaand, that is my family for you.
i have a friend who did something similar at three. his mom told him about why boys and girls are different. they went out for dinner that night and he stood up in the booth and proudly announced to the WHOLE RESTAURANT "I'm a boy because I have a penis!"

his parents took him home right away.
beautiful, dirty, rich
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I was talking to my nephew on the phone a few months ago (he was about 2 1/2 at the time), and he greeted me by saying, "Guess what, auntie nerd girl? Mikey (their dog) has a penis for peeing!"
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

One of my friends posted this link on her facebook today:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... f-comments

I definitely don't agree with everything she said/did (like I would NOT help my kid find a video of cats mating online because of course then the kid would wonder if there was a video of humans mating online), but I did think she had some good ideas. Like telling her daughter that women evolved to have their own "pond" to explain where human eggs are. And the explanation that you wouldn't stick a bean sprout up your nose. Those are clever analogies that a child could understand.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I love how the daughter in the article gets all obsessed with legs.