#67698 - older women, younger men

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

#67698 - older women, younger men

Post by Portia »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/67698/

I currently feel like a Constance Bonacieux to a guy's d'Artagnan. The age difference is the same (five years), and like the young Musketeer, he seems to have fallen for me quite hard right away.

Edited version: he's carried a torch for me for nine full months, and only now is starting to make his crush on me more apparent. We went on a date back in September that he still recalls fondly. He's attractive in the awkward, gangly way that I like so much, he's hilarious, and we have a lot of common interests. Realistically, our lives will shortly diverge, but in the meantime, I'm happy to enjoy the attention.
Portia

Re: #67698 - older women, younger men

Post by Portia »

Also, and this just dawned on me the other day, my mother, her mother, and HER mother all married younger guys (in their first marriages, when applicable). My mom and grandma were both ~23 and their husbands were 21, and my great-grandma was 27 and her husband was 24.

And none of them were returned missionaries, so that dynamic was not applicable. This must factor into why the "you must date a returned missionary" trope has factored but little into my life. (My only experience with it majorly sucked.) It was not really the cultural model I had to go off of.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I'm older than Yellow. But only by 8 months.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

The vast majority of women that I have been interested in have been at least slightly older than I am. Just throwin' that out there. ;D
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

I'm currently crushing on somebody a few years older than me.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I was once interested in, and spurned by, an older woman. I stick to younger women now.
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

Marduk wrote:I was once interested in, and spurned by, an older woman. I stick to younger women now.
"Next to being married, a girl likes to be crossed a little in love now and then. It is something to think of, and it gives her a sort of distinction among her companions." Mr. Bennet
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I just realized that I never dated a single guy younger than me. Huh. One was only two weeks older, but I never crossed that line.

Wasn't on purpose, I swear.
Portia

Post by Portia »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:I just realized that I never dated a single guy younger than me. Huh. One was only two weeks older, but I never crossed that line.

I actually never have, either. i am ahead a grade so my academic peers are older.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Portia wrote:
TheAnswerIs42 wrote:I just realized that I never dated a single guy younger than me. Huh. One was only two weeks older, but I never crossed that line.

I actually never have, either. i am ahead a grade so my academic peers are older.

Although all my "official" boyfriends also skipped a grade. They were class of '05, '03, and '04.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

There's currently a guy 5 or 6 years younger than me who's doing a lot of flirting with me lately. I'm in emotional shock. That's a big age gap. I wonder if he knows how much older I am than he is.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Or he might just be like me and not care. ;D

Seriously though, age is way down on my list of "interest qualifiers." As long as someone isn't more than ten years older/younger (Well, okay, more like six years younger. I'm not a cradle robber. ;D ) than me, I really don't care. I think that their personality and actual maturity are a lot more important.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Portia

Post by Portia »

I've never been particularly mature for my age: in fact, a combination of precociousness & late development made me relatively immature, hence my interest in guys much younger to barely older. I have more in common with a twenty- year-old than someone who's 30.