Interpreter Rates

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Giovanni Schwartz

Interpreter Rates

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I JUST GOT ASKED TO INTERPRET FOR A MAN COMING FROM CHINA TO VISIT A LOCAL BUSINESS NEXT WEEK.

What kind of rates are normal for that kind of stuff, anyways? The internet says like $25 to $85, on average. I told him $15. What should I have told him? It is[\i] my first time after all, but I don't want to get ripped off, and I don't want to rip him off.
Yarjka

Re: Interpreter Rates

Post by Yarjka »

If you'll be using a lot of technical language and mostly doing extemporaneous interpretation, I think you're charging too little. But you will benefit from the experience and practice, so I wouldn't say you're getting ripped off or cheated. It's your first time, so I say go into it as you would a low-paying internship--see it as a learning opportunity more than a financial opportunity. You'll get a better idea of how much you should charge after having taken a few jobs.
Giovanni Schwartz

He told me he was thinking a flat rate of $200 a day. It shouldn't be TOO technical. Mostly talking about colors of cabinets being wrong, siding changing colors, etc. I'm looking forward to it.
Sparklebreeze

Post by Sparklebreeze »

I don't know anything about interpreter rates, but congratulations! Sounds like you may have found, if not a new hobby, a new way to occupy your time, using a talent you already have. That's awesome.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

That sounds okay for a non-professional interpreter.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Giovanni Schwartz

Yeah. I'm pretty excited. I didn't really think that there were that many opportunities to translate to Chinese in Arizona.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I agree with Yarjika. And congrats on the (temporary) job!
Giovanni Schwartz

He just added another day for me, too! I'm gettin' like... a buttload of money!
SMP

Post by SMP »

I think $15 is way too low. $25 minimum, and more if any specialized vocabulary is required.
Giovanni Schwartz

I ended up working 21 hours, getting $600 (~$30 an hour), and free lunch for three days and dinner once at fairly upscale (i.e. mostly $20 or more a plate) restaurants. They also told me that if they go to China next summer I could go help interpret! And that if they need anything on the phone, then they'll call me. Speaking of which, I need to save that man's number...