Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Zedability

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Zedability »

Yeah, but I still don't see why it's necessary. Canadian English is waaaaay closer to American English than British English, and the books were still successful and understood without changing anything. Although it was pretty funny to hear my little brother refer to making out as snogging for a while, haha.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:I testify that by book 3, Ron's Mom is still knitting them sweaters.
Thank you for the testimonial. Will you let us know when the change does happen?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Zedability wrote:Yeah, but I still don't see why it's necessary. Canadian English is waaaaay closer to American English than British English, and the books were still successful and understood without changing anything.
American readers are delicate flowers who need to be sheltered from metric units as much as possible!
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Katya wrote:
Zedability wrote:Yeah, but I still don't see why it's necessary. Canadian English is waaaaay closer to American English than British English, and the books were still successful and understood without changing anything.
American readers are delicate flowers who need to be sheltered from metric units as much as possible!
I was trying to think of the right way to express that opinion :)
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

Katya wrote:
Especially for temperature! Most Americans get liters (at least have a concept of what a 2 liter bottle looks like). And kilometers aren't ridiculously different from miles. But there's a big different between 78* F and 90* F that you lose in Celsius. Having it be 27*C out never meant much to me. And I'm too lazy to do the math to figure out what that was...

So yeah, Americans = lazy.
(As long as you mean "me" by Americans.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

thatonemom wrote:
Katya wrote:
Especially for temperature! Most Americans get liters (at least have a concept of what a 2 liter bottle looks like). And kilometers aren't ridiculously different from miles. But there's a big different between 78* F and 90* F that you lose in Celsius. Having it be 27*C out never meant much to me. And I'm too lazy to do the math to figure out what that was...

So yeah, Americans = lazy.
(As long as you mean "me" by Americans.)
Yeah, I agree that the temperature conversion is particularly non-intuitive, especially since the zeroes don't line up. (Is now a good time to bring up Rankine again? ;))
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Katya wrote:
Down with the atheistic Metric scheme!
Portia

Post by Portia »

Zedability wrote:Why would they change the book to localize the temperature scale just for one specific country?
Localization is one of the biggest dilemmas in translation. Definitely not a straightforward A to B process - is remembering that we're on Prince Edward Island or in London more important, or is less ambiguity more important?

I think the most interesting case of localization in Harry Potter is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I feel that Sorcerer is perhaps more clearly understood, but losing the concept of the Philosopher's Stone takes away some of its mystical, magick, Tolkienesque connotations, in my opinion.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Portia wrote:
Zedability wrote:Why would they change the book to localize the temperature scale just for one specific country?
Localization is one of the biggest dilemmas in translation. Definitely not a straightforward A to B process - is remembering that we're on Prince Edward Island or in London more important, or is less ambiguity more important?

I think the most interesting case of localization in Harry Potter is Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I feel that Sorcerer is perhaps more clearly understood, but losing the concept of the Philosopher's Stone takes away some of its mystical, magick, Tolkienesque connotations, in my opinion.
I've always thought that was completely ridiculous. But in trying to prove the point one time, I miscounted the number of syllables in "philosopher's," and now I don't like arguing for it anymore.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

I'm going to a roller derby tomorrow and I could not be more excited.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I AM SO JEALOUS. Because I love Whip It. Go Babe Ruthless!
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I have to leave the house to catch my flight back to Provo in 5 hours. I haven't started packing. I don't waaaaaaaaant to. It's boring and I'm tired and I'm having too much fun here. Plus it's warm in AZ, and it sounds like it's butt-freezy-cold up in Ut.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yes, it's butt-freezing here. But we have a roller derby in spanish fork, although I'm not sure when their next game is!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Q0TfHLWXw
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

It's cold here, too. I think we might only get up to like 65 for our high today. Better go bust out my warmest sweatshirt.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

And here I'm thinking it's warm because it's like 25 F.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

My husband and his friends always go snow camping in January for fun. But last night they were cold while fully bundled, right next to the fire . . . so they decided to come home instead of spending the night. Which I'm grateful for, because the truck told them it was 25 below when they were driving home. Craziness.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I have never had such an uncomfortable flight.

A VERY large man wedged himself into the middle seat in my row. He was so big that the armrests were straining--he asked if he could put them up, and I said yes. And then of course we were so close that our legs were touching, and his hand (although it was tight against his leg) was against the side of mine. Later he slowly moved his hand along my leg and tried to bring it to rest on the top of my leg. When I gave him a weird look, he said "is it okay if I put my hand here on your leg?" What?! No! Luckily he didn't try that one again, but he did keep trying to talk to me when I was making it as clear as I politely could that I wasn't interested in conversation. He complained to me a few times that I wasn't talking to him, and I told him just as many times that I just wanted to read my book, thanks. He told me I was pretty. He asked my name. He took any time I stopped looking at the page and looked out the window as an opportunity to be my new best friend. When I tried to go to sleep, he accepted peanuts for me and then shook me awake to give them to me, and when I declined he complained that he just wanted to get to know me. He was so soft-spoken that I had to ask him to repeat anything he asked, which meant I could pretend not to have heard him fairly easily. When we finally landed, he said something about it being nice to meet me, and rubbed my arm, and I ignored him.

I feel a little guiltly for giving this guy the increasingly cold shoulder, but I've also never met anyone as unable or unwilling to keep his hands to himself and let me read my book. I've still kind of got the jibblies.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:My husband and his friends always go snow camping in January for fun. But last night they were cold while fully bundled, right next to the fire . . . so they decided to come home instead of spending the night. Which I'm grateful for, because the truck told them it was 25 below when they were driving home. Craziness.
The scouts in my home ward always do their winter camps in May to avoid such situations. There's still plenty of snow for quincy building that late in the season! Haha
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Dang, Uffish. I think you were asking for it. Being so pretty and all.

....yuck.
Portia

Post by Portia »

UffishThought wrote:I have never had such an uncomfortable flight.

A VERY large man wedged himself into the middle seat in my row. He was so big that the armrests were straining--he asked if he could put them up, and I said yes. And then of course we were so close that our legs were touching, and his hand (although it was tight against his leg) was against the side of mine. Later he slowly moved his hand along my leg and tried to bring it to rest on the top of my leg. When I gave him a weird look, he said "is it okay if I put my hand here on your leg?" What?! No! Luckily he didn't try that one again, but he did keep trying to talk to me when I was making it as clear as I politely could that I wasn't interested in conversation. He complained to me a few times that I wasn't talking to him, and I told him just as many times that I just wanted to read my book, thanks. He told me I was pretty. He asked my name. He took any time I stopped looking at the page and looked out the window as an opportunity to be my new best friend. When I tried to go to sleep, he accepted peanuts for me and then shook me awake to give them to me, and when I declined he complained that he just wanted to get to know me. He was so soft-spoken that I had to ask him to repeat anything he asked, which meant I could pretend not to have heard him fairly easily. When we finally landed, he said something about it being nice to meet me, and rubbed my arm, and I ignored him.

I feel a little guiltly for giving this guy the increasingly cold shoulder, but I've also never met anyone as unable or unwilling to keep his hands to himself and let me read my book. I've still kind of got the jibblies.
This is sexual harassment, and it makes me sick that women have to justify ownership of their bodies and personal space in the public arena. I'm a notorious flirt, and you don't see me not taking signals and putting my hands all up on hot guy's thighs. Boo sexism.