Word of the Day

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Re: Word of the Day

Post by Laser Jock »

dybbuk - in Jewish mythology, a malicious or malevolent possessing spirit believed to be the dislocated soul of a dead person.

(In this case, used jokingly to explain why the author found themself suddenly agreeing with views they always hated when they were younger. Clearly possession is the answer. :) )
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Katya wrote:
krebscout wrote:Hey, that's a word I knew!
Oh yeah, you would. Cool.
Ha, sorry, wasn't meaning to sound braggish, I was just excited that I actually knew a word. My vocabulary is lacking. But I actually knew dybbuk, too, thanks to A Serious Man, which is my favorite Coen brothers movie.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

krebscout wrote:But I actually knew dybbuk, too, thanks to A Serious Man, which is my favorite Coen brothers movie.
Great movie! All should watch, now.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

krebscout wrote:
Katya wrote:
krebscout wrote:Hey, that's a word I knew!
Oh yeah, you would. Cool.
Ha, sorry, wasn't meaning to sound braggish, I was just excited that I actually knew a word. My vocabulary is lacking.
Oh no, I didn't think you sounded braggish at all. I genuinely think that the vocabulary and jargon of different professions is interesting, and it's certainly a concept that would be more important in your profession than in mine.
Digit

Post by Digit »

paresthesia or paraesthesia

PRONUNCIATION:
(par-uhs-THEE-zhuh, -zhee-)

MEANING:
noun: A sensation of pricking, tingling, burning, etc. on the skin.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Greek para- (at, beyond) + aisthesis (sensation or perception). Ultimately from the Indo-European root au- (to perceive) that also gave us audio, audience, audit, auditorium, anesthesia, aesthetic, anesthetic, esthesia, synesthesia, and obey. Earliest documented use: 1848.

USAGE:
"Cronk muttered to himself, wiggling his right foot in an effort to relieve the paresthesia."
Bruce Banta; A Dead Man's Chest; Xlibris; 2011.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Lazarus taxon: something that disappears from the fossil record for 1+ periods before coming back. Related are "Lazarus species," which are organisms found alive after they were classified as extinct.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

camoufleur - a person serving in a camouflage unit during WWI or WWII

source - 99% invisible podcast about dazzle camouflage.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

devolution (n) - the statutory granting of powers from the central government of a sovereign state to government at a subnational level, such as a regional, local, or state level (i.e., giving a subnational region more authority or autonomy)

source - an article about Mebyon Kernow, a political party in Cornwall that favors devolution for that region
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

antiscorbutic - having the effect of preventing or curing scurvy

source - an old medical book ("manual of practical hygiene") from the 1880s, which went through a long explanation of how they really weren't sure what it was, exactly, that prevented scurvy, but lemon juice and vinegar seemed to work (if you didn't have fresh fruits and vegetables). I thought it was pretty funny. (Also, they kept saying they thought it was citric acid, because of the whole lemon juice connection...nope!) This same book also still thought that malaria was caused by swamp gas. (Just found the book in Google Books; they've scanned the whole thing, so if anyone wants to get a good laugh out of super outdated medical science, check it out here. The part on scurvy starts at the bottom of the page and goes for several more pages. The part on malaria is here.)

Also, I had no idea that ascorbic acid was etymologically related to scurvy, but "antiscorbutic" made it kinda obvious (a = without, scorbic = scurvy-ish).
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Laser Jock wrote:Also, I had no idea that ascorbic acid was etymologically related to scurvy, but "antiscorbutic" made it kinda obvious (a = without, scorbic = scurvy-ish).
This etymology makes my day.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

demob (v) - demobilize, retire from military service

etymology: presumably a clipping of "demobilize"
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

Are any of you subscribed to the OED word of the day? I signed up a few months ago and I love it. You can sign up here.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

abreaction - reliving an experience in order to purge it of its emotional excesses; a type of catharsis

source - a theater review that used the term "abreactive"
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I remember we were talking about eponyms in here at one point, so here's one:

Ramification. Apparently it is afer Petrus Ramus, the sixteenth-century French rhetorician.
Deus ab veritas
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I just realized the other day that "cuss" was originally a dialectical variant of "curse."
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

inculcate (v) - "to implant by repeated statement or admonition; teach persistently and earnestly"

source - my strange Book of Mormon professor who has used this more times than he should
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

piggle -verb. "to fiddle or toy with. to niggle or worry about."

OED online word of the day

OH! "Piggle" means to niggle. Thanks for clearing that up for me. #sarcasmhashtag
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Emiliana wrote:I just realized the other day that "cuss" was originally a dialectical variant of "curse."
:shock: How did I never make that connection?
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Katya wrote:
Emiliana wrote:I just realized the other day that "cuss" was originally a dialectical variant of "curse."
:shock: How did I never make that connection?
I felt the same way.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

natatorium (n) - A swimming pool, esp. one that is indoors.