Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:Made a fool of myself at a ward dinner for new people at the (awesome!) bishop's. I was telling a story about an Asian family on the plane out here, where the mother was clearly scolding the adult son for running into my head with his airplane seat, and I actually said "they were speaking Asian.." and one of my better friends out here, a super attractive, intelligent Asian-American (who, of course, not only is in the ward but my coworker!) said, "um, yeah, because 'Asian' is totally a language ..."

Open foot, insert mouth. I think he's really cool and am kicking myself for coming across as both ditzy and possibly racist. UGH. Should I apologize? Let it blow over? He didn't seem offended or angry, just calling me out on my obvious dumbness.
If it was me, I'd say something, since he's actually Asian-American and I'd have more invested in making sure that he (of all people) knew I wasn't stupid or racist. But I don't think you need to make it an apology, as such. Maybe I'd just say something self-deprecating like "I still can't believe I said that woman was speaking Asian—I feel so dumb for making that mistake!" That way he knows that you do know better and you care about being precise in your language, but I don't think an actual apology is warranted.
wryness

Post by wryness »

I agree with Katya if an opportunity to remark on the misspoke comment comes up really soon. I think that the more time goes by, though, the more awkward it'll be to bring up the situation again. I've been in similar situations, and I know I've sometimes dug myself deeper when I was actually trying to explain/apologize and show that I wasn't just a thoughtless person. Whoops. So, yeah, don't apologize, but you could explain if an opportunity gracefully presents itself.

Either way you go, I'm sure you'll have opportunities to demonstrate that you are an awesome and thoughtful person next time he's around. (And possibly by making some remark relating to things that show you are knowledgeable about specific Asian countries or something. :) )
Last edited by wryness on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:
Portia wrote:Made a fool of myself at a ward dinner for new people at the (awesome!) bishop's. I was telling a story about an Asian family on the plane out here, where the mother was clearly scolding the adult son for running into my head with his airplane seat, and I actually said "they were speaking Asian.." and one of my better friends out here, a super attractive, intelligent Asian-American (who, of course, not only is in the ward but my coworker!) said, "um, yeah, because 'Asian' is totally a language ..."

Open foot, insert mouth. I think he's really cool and am kicking myself for coming across as both ditzy and possibly racist. UGH. Should I apologize? Let it blow over? He didn't seem offended or angry, just calling me out on my obvious dumbness.
If it was me, I'd say something, since he's actually Asian-American and I'd have more invested in making sure that he (of all people) knew I wasn't stupid or racist. But I don't think you need to make it an apology, as such. Maybe I'd just say something self-deprecating like "I still can't believe I said that woman was speaking Asian—I feel so dumb for making that mistake!" That way he knows that you do know better and you care about being precise in your language, but I don't think an actual apology is warranted.
Thanks. I think that's an excellent reaction. And since we see each other near-daily, I think it is warranted. He came from the West Coast (which has a large, thriving Asian-American community--I would know, I lived there) to the Midwest, which can be a bit of a cultural backwater. I don't want him to feel unwelcome, and since we work together, I want him to view me as competent. (And as a writer, yeah "being precise in my language" is a real make-or-break situation, and something I need to improve.) Thanks. :-)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Just got back from an in-law vacation in Jackson, WY. It was super fun! I like Wyoming now.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I've been doing Camp Nanowrimo and I just realized that I have a mysterious omniscient genre savvy amnesiac narrator. If I ever edit the draft, I'll probably get rid of them unless I find out that they're actually important.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I don't get angry very often, but when I do it's not a pretty sight.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

I love your quote from Doctor Who, Dead Cat. While I was away from this forum I got hooked on Doctor Who and watched all the episodes you can watch on Instant Netflix. That would be since 2005, excluding the last year, but I also watched some older episodes. I love the series.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

I've been trying to get my blog to do a stupid button for nearly an hour. HTML is clearly for the patient and eagle eyed. Or, the far-smarter-than-me crowd. Grrr.

ETA: never mind, better code makes everything better.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

What does ETA mean in the sense it's used on forums and comments? Estimated Time of Arrival just doesn't make sense to me...
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Go talk to Squirrel about it. <3's, Squirrel!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

SmurfBlueSnuggie wrote:What does ETA mean in the sense it's used on forums and comments? Estimated Time of Arrival just doesn't make sense to me...
Edited To Add. (I.e., I have edited my comment since it first posted.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I have to go take a test at UVU today. I can't figure out how I'm allowed to park.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:I have to go take a test at UVU today. I can't figure out how I'm allowed to park.
I know there's visitor's parking kind of by the library, but I think you have to pay for it on weekdays.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

From what I can see on the maps, there is a free lot (and it's by the testing center), but "free" still requires a permit of some kind.

I'm going to have to just suck it up and call. : /
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah, see if you can walk in and get a permit thingy from the test administrators.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

They're setting up a carnival not that far from my house. This makes me very happy.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Turns out they weren't ticketing the lots today because events! So now I'm finally registered as a student at UVU.

On the downside, I'm far behind enough in math to have to take 3 classes to graduate in a non-math major.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Just two. 1000 counts as both the remedial and 1010.
Deus ab veritas
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

And my greatest accomplishment of the day is not being a vampire. It just took me until the wee hours of the morning to do it, which probably means I've just exchanged one kind of vampirism for another. #NoviceGamerProblems
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

what game is this?