Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Whistler

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Whistler »

yes, thank you. I'm not going crazy!
Portia

Post by Portia »

Portia's boyfriend wrote:it said the three closest/most distinctive set me in Salt Lake, Sacramento, or Santa Rosa, CA
He thinks living in Utah for 8 years has influenced his dialect, not dating me. ;) (He's from Mesa.)
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Obviously he didn't say that a drive-through liquor store doesn't have a special name.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Obviously he didn't say that a drive-through liquor store doesn't have a special name.
See, and you would think that you would be less familiar with those establishments, having lived in the bougie part of Mesa. How lenient are your zoning laws? O_o
Giovanni Schwartz

Not very. However, I go all around town (because a] it's not that large area-wise, and b] all the good Chinese restaurants are in the iffy parts of town.)
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
mic0

Post by mic0 »

mic0

Post by mic0 »

If a potential employer asks you (Mr. Mico) to "trial work" at their office for a week, that means it is pretty serious, right?

Do any of you live near San Francisco?
Portia

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:If a potential employer asks you (Mr. Mico) to "trial work" at their office for a week, that means it is pretty serious, right?

Do any of you live near San Francisco?
Wait whaaat? Aren't you in school?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Yup, I finish in May! Mr. Mico was just asked to work for a week at a start-up (with really good start up capital, I'm guessing, since they are flying him out there and all that). If he gets it, then I guess when I graduate I'll be going there (and he'll be going there sooner, and I'll be a cat lady for a couple months).
Portia

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:Yup, I finish in May! Mr. Mico was just asked to work for a week at a start-up (with really good start up capital, I'm guessing, since they are flying him out there and all that). If he gets it, then I guess when I graduate I'll be going there (and he'll be going there sooner, and I'll be a cat lady for a couple months).
This is my, like, worst fear. I'm way too neurotic to handle it. But it sounds like a good opportunity for him, and SF is beautiful!
mic0

Post by mic0 »

What part is your worst fear?

I've always had an irrational prejudice against California (maybe a result of living in Texas for so long), but as for moving, it isn't like I have a job lined up or really any prospects at this point. As long as we don't have to live *right in* SF, I'm okay with it. It is weird to be "following" someone, but he "followed" me here for grad school, so it's all even. Anyway, it is still not decided, he just was talking with the people there about five minutes ago and this is what developed. I've got a lot of feelings all of a sudden!
Giovanni Schwartz

SERIOUSLY SAN FRAN IS LIKE ONE OF MY FAVORITE CITIES EVER.
Portia

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:What part is your worst fear?

I've always had an irrational prejudice against California (maybe a result of living in Texas for so long), but as for moving, it isn't like I have a job lined up or really any prospects at this point. As long as we don't have to live *right in* SF, I'm okay with it. It is weird to be "following" someone, but he "followed" me here for grad school, so it's all even. Anyway, it is still not decided, he just was talking with the people there about five minutes ago and this is what developed. I've got a lot of feelings all of a sudden!
Living apart from a spouse sounds so, so, so hard. I've had friends whose husbands were anthropologists (not to be confused with Anthropologie-ists, like me) or geologists whose husbands did field studies and it just sounded so lonely. I've done the long-distance thing in every long-term relationship I've been in, and it has uniformly sucked. (But that is not an indictment of you or my friends. Duh. Just my personality. And being unmarried is different, obviously, because you're less stable, by definition.)

You can't afford San Francisco proper anyway. ;)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Oh also, you're sure his job would be in the city? Silly question, I know, but my boyfriend thought Palo Alto was within spitting distance of San Fran, and that got a LOLOLOL from me.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Portia wrote: You can't afford San Francisco proper anyway. ;)
:D Haha, I'm sure that is quite true. Yeah, the office is right in SF. We were apart before when I was doing study abroad and we were just dating. Our relationship was fine overall, but it was SUPER lonely, especially since I wasn't very close to the other students. I at least have some decent friends here now... so there's that. Ergh. I don't think it will exactly be "fun" if this happens, though.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:SERIOUSLY SAN FRAN IS LIKE ONE OF MY FAVORITE CITIES EVER.
OH GOOD!! You'll have to tell me all the best things there if we actually move.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I personally love Berkeley. Your husband could take BART, and it wouldn't be too much of a culture shock after Boulder. :D
Giovanni Schwartz

Portia wrote:Oh also, you're sure his job would be in the city? Silly question, I know, but my boyfriend thought Palo Alto was within spitting distance of San Fran, and that got a LOLOLOL from me.
Meh. It's still less than an hour's drive. Although traffic actually in the city sucks like none other.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:
Portia wrote:Oh also, you're sure his job would be in the city? Silly question, I know, but my boyfriend thought Palo Alto was within spitting distance of San Fran, and that got a LOLOLOL from me.
Meh. It's still less than an hour's drive. Although traffic actually in the city sucks like none other.
You and I have very different perspectives on what a reasonable commute is. Darn Mesans.