Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Giovanni Schwartz

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

... What is a reasonable commute to you? I mean, an hour isn't exactly close, but Google Maps says that it's 40 minutes from city center to city center. 53 in current traffic--at 5:30 PM Cali time, so smack in the middle of rush hour.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

My commute to work is about 7 minutes. That's reasonable.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I grew up in the bay area, Mic0! My parents live about 50 minutes from SF, which is a fairly normal commute to there (and if his work is by BART commuting could be fun). Don't try to live in SF proper because rental prices are super high because of all the startups there (yes, funded by venture capital and stuff). Berkeley can be nice, and it's kind of college town in some places so you would probably like it. Just... be careful where you live because there are some really shady parts of Oakland/Richmond/Berkeley. By shady I mean high crime with gang violence and stuff.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Oh yeah, you did! Haha, that's cool. Berkeley does sound cool, too. Well, we aren't choosing apartments/houses or anything yet, he has to go check out the job/be checked out by them. :P But, um, I'll definitely do some research into the surrounding areas; don't want to inadvertently live on gang turf.
Digit

Post by Digit »

If you like interesting architecture, Frank Lloyd Wright's Marin County Civic Center is about half an hour away from there.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Did I mention I love writing about design? Source: Thinking with Type
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:... What is a reasonable commute to you? I mean, an hour isn't exactly close, but Google Maps says that it's 40 minutes from city center to city center. 53 in current traffic--at 5:30 PM Cali time, so smack in the middle of rush hour.
This was two days after Christmas, though, so it's possible that the traffic was lighter than usual.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:Did I mention I love writing about design? Source: Thinking with Type
Oh, I love that book. I really need to buy it. (I just finished Lettering & Type, which is in the same publisher's series.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:
Portia wrote:Did I mention I love writing about design? Source: Thinking with Type
Oh, I love that book. I really need to buy it. (I just finished Lettering & Type, which is in the same publisher's series.)
You were exactly who I though of when our designer sent me this site.

I really wish we could incorporate more typographic elements into our copy, but it's all about Google.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Katya wrote:
Really great books all around. Thinking with Type was one of the first books that really made me love the design of type and not just the design as a whole.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

So the Black Ram and I just got back from visiting his brother's family and my family, and we had such a great time. Today he threw some money at me getting an electronic piano and put it together for me because he knew it would make me happy, and the whole project was his idea. We have one last hurdle we really need to work on, but as far as I'm concerned the only question is whether I propose near our one year or a few months later nearer to my birthday. (I'm pretty sure you don't read this, but if you haven't inferred that, darling, surprise!)
Portia

Post by Portia »

hooray for typography! hooray for design! hooray for pianos! hooray for proposals!
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Portia wrote:hooray for typography! hooray for design! hooray for pianos! hooray for proposals!
HOORAY!

But really, that's pretty great, TBS! Glad to hear you two are so happy. :)
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

TheBlackSheep wrote:So the Black Ram and I just got back from visiting his brother's family and my family, and we had such a great time. Today he threw some money at me getting an electronic piano and put it together for me because he knew it would make me happy, and the whole project was his idea. We have one last hurdle we really need to work on, but as far as I'm concerned the only question is whether I propose near our one year or a few months later nearer to my birthday. (I'm pretty sure you don't read this, but if you haven't inferred that, darling, surprise!)
Congrats, dear!
Digit

Post by Digit »

I wonder if the computer geeks at Unixmen are aware of what their name almost makes them out to be. I don't wonder if the computer geeks at Project E.U.N.U.C.H. are :lol:

The refrigerator-plus-really-old-computer-hardware is amusing, though.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

TheBlackSheep wrote:So the Black Ram and I just got back from visiting his brother's family and my family, and we had such a great time. Today he threw some money at me getting an electronic piano and put it together for me because he knew it would make me happy, and the whole project was his idea. We have one last hurdle we really need to work on, but as far as I'm concerned the only question is whether I propose near our one year or a few months later nearer to my birthday. (I'm pretty sure you don't read this, but if you haven't inferred that, darling, surprise!)
What? Are you kidding? Oh my goodness congrats!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Everyone! You know those "how long does it take to get over someone?" questions we always get? Well, two years to the day since I saw my ex-fiancé, I think I have finally let it go completely. He was a really, really smart and good person, but I just don't think we were right for each other. I think after an almost-five-year relationship, that's not bad.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Woohoo! Good luck with everything!
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Nevermind about SF, btw! We got a little ahead of ourselves and, well, that's not happening.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

well, less moving to worry about right?