Online dating -- 76582

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Online dating -- 76582

Post by Emiliana »

Marx and I met on OkCupid. Here's what I learned from my experience:
1. People on free sites are more laid back than people on paid sites. If your primary objective is to find a spouse, paid sites like E-Harmony are the way to go. If you're looking for causal, enjoyable interactions with others, which might or might not lead to finding a spouse, OkCupid is a good way to go. Yes, there are people just looking for casual sex, but they're pretty easy to weed out.
2. There are weirdos out there.
3. The weirdos abound on the chat apps on Friday and Saturday nights.
4. Generic messages like "hi how are you" are a terrible way of starting a conversation with someone online. The great thing about online dating is that you don't have to go through all the small talk stuff! Chances are the person has some interests listed on their profile ... ask about one.

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/76582/
Portia

Re: Online dating -- 76582

Post by Portia »

I also met my boyfriend on OKCupid. He wasn't looking for casual sex. I thought the quality of interaction was a cut above other mediums. Tinder scares me.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

What about Tinder scares you?
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Portia

Post by Portia »

SmurfBlueSnuggie wrote:What about Tinder scares you?
Remember that thing with the fro yo shop in Provo? Where dozens of guys went to meet a fake barely-legal "hot" girl? That.

At least OKCupid has surveys and questions. Even the guys I didn't click with at ALL were respectful and not skeevy.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Also, Tinder is for blowjobs. It was started as a straight version of Grindr.