Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Zedability

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Zedability »

So I got super sick this weekend (like, projectile-vomiting-into-the-toilet-so-many-times-in-a-row-that-it-splatters-back-into-your-face kind of sick), but I was recovered enough to go to work today. Except I forgot I finished all my autopilot-level work last week and this week was going to be the figure-stuff-out week. And I am soooooo not up for that.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Whistler wrote:what the... is this a real book? How do all those people have it in their to-read lists (misclick)?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/179 ... earch=true
So, apparently it happens to lots of other books (this publisher Lennox puts out a book of reviews of that book), but I can't tell how they would profit.

http://timetowrite.blogs.com/weblog/201 ... n-you.html
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Zedability wrote:So I got super sick this weekend (like, projectile-vomiting-into-the-toilet-so-many-times-in-a-row-that-it-splatters-back-into-your-face kind of sick), but I was recovered enough to go to work today. Except I forgot I finished all my autopilot-level work last week and this week was going to be the figure-stuff-out week. And I am soooooo not up for that.
awww... that's the worst kind of sick :-(
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

My prescription headache medication seems to be working well enough. It could also be the placebo effect, but to be honest, I'm fine with a placebo effect if it means I no longer have pain.
Rainbow_connection

Post by Rainbow_connection »

Tally M. wrote:My prescription headache medication seems to be working well enough. It could also be the placebo effect, but to be honest, I'm fine with a placebo effect if it means I no longer have pain.
Yay! Also, I always thought the same thing. As long as I'm having the desired effect I don't really care whether it's a placebo or not.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Placebo Domingo is my favorite tenor.
Deus ab veritas
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:Placebo Domingo is my favorite tenor.
Eh, you only think he sounds good. ;)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Have the study conducted by two Andrea Bocellis.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Digit wrote:Have the study conducted by two Andrea Bocellis.
:lol:
Digit

Post by Digit »

I had never tried kiwis, not knowing at all what they tasted like, but being put off by their "hairy" appearance enough to not try one. But the other night when I decided "what the heck" and grabbed one of the ones that my wife had bought that was in a bowl in the kitchen and just bit into the hairy thing, it was an instant "holy cow, these things are great!" moment.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

today I felt thankful for the Boardboard and other online communities (although this is probably the one I'm most active in posting). So thanks for putting up with me :-).
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

This time tomorrow I'm going to be in Colorado, which is probably my favorite place in this country.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I kind of want to start a thread where those of us who have diet restrictions can assign some of the omnivorous folks to eat something we are craving but can't have. Anyone want to eat some Triscuit for me? I miss Triscuits.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I can totally eat some triscuits for you, I love those things. I'm allergic to melons, so you can enjoy cantaloupe for me.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Emiliana wrote:This time tomorrow I'm going to be in Colorado, which is probably my favorite place in this country.
I'm in Colorado right now!
beautiful, dirty, rich
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Ah, today is a good day for unfollowing people on Facebook!

PS, I can't believe you all are/were in Colorado! I miss that place.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Whistler wrote:today I felt thankful for the Boardboard and other online communities (although this is probably the one I'm most active in posting). So thanks for putting up with me :-).
Thanks for being here, Whistler.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

mic0 wrote:Ah, today is a good day for unfollowing people on Facebook!

PS, I can't believe you all are/were in Colorado! I miss that place.
I like it here, but the altitude and driness are KILLING ME AND MY SKIN. I can't wait to get back to sea level on Friday.
beautiful, dirty, rich
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Oh my goodness, yes. Okay, definitely with yo uthere on the altitude and driness. Hope you found some lotion. :P
Portia

Post by Portia »

Like any basic white girl I've flipped through wedding magazines and occasionally browsed relevant Pinterest boards, but compared to when I was 21, there's more goggly eyes and swearing under my breath. It all seems so frivolous for a party that lasts a day. Maybe it's a reflection of changing life circumstances, and being a full-fledged adult with utility bills and whatnot, but it's hard not to see the froufrou gown and think how many MacBook pros it could get. My two closest friends had extremely simple backyard receptions... And as far as I can tell, solid, happy marriages two-three years out.

There's not much point to this; I'm not engaged and know like two people who have had fancy schmancy weddings. (One is my thrice-married once-removed cousin.) I think the marketing bothers me though, this princess for a day stuff. Even if it is perfect, it's still just one day. My favorite weddings come from cultural traditions where there are weeklong feastings and dancing, more about family. I'm not even UNmaterialist, not at all, but there's something retrograde about these "what does your ring style/mason jar selection/shade of taupe on the bridesmaids" quizzes. If that's really the epitome of a woman's accomplishments, I dunno. But I guess if your parents don't have medical bills and a mortgage and younger siblings to put through college, knock yourself out with their money if it makes you and your fiance happy.

I'm sure my tastes would change in 6 more years. By that point maybe my career would be more established and I'd be saying the Ritz Carlton or nothing!!

Aspirational travel guides for the honeymoon though? Bring on the frivolity. :P