LDS Art

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Damasta

LDS Art

Post by Damasta »

Some of Greg Olsen's stuff is okay. But some of it's...cheesy. And a lot is too glitzy. Same with Liz Lemon Swindle and Simon Dewey.

I like a lot of Carl Bloch's stuff. Walter Rane is okay. Arnold Friberg has some good stuff (though I haven't figured out why all the Book of Mormon prophets had to be shirtless...). My favorites, though, are Harry Anderson's Biblical paintings (I was surprised to learn that he was Seventh Day Adventist) and Del Parson's paintings.

But I dislike Minerva Teichert's stuff. I'm partially biased because I'm not a fan of impressionism. But it also bothers me that everyone in her paintings is effeminate. And the paintings always have the same lack of color saturation, making them all seem bland. But worse than those are the beardless Jesus paintings. Ugh.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I meant to mention Brian Kershisnik (http://www.kershisnik.com/). He's not just religious art. Anyway, check him out!
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

Hmm...can't say I'm a fan. I generally (though not always) prefer paintings to look pretty realistic and exhibit a great deal of detail.