Logic and emotion (branched from the random thread)

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Logic and emotion (branched from the random thread)

Post by Laser Jock »

Since this looked like it was turning into more of an actual discussion, I figured it deserved its own thread.
Marduk wrote:
Laser Jock wrote:On a semi-related tangent: it's been rather disheartening to me to realize that almost no one argues from a logical basis. In the vast majority of cases, people make a decision for emotional reasons and then use logic to try to support their decision. The result is that no matter how broken you prove their logic, they won't change their decision, because logic wasn't the real basis anyway. It makes debate, or even discussion and problem-solving, very frustrating. (I don't claim to be immune to this, but I do try to see and avoid it.)
I find this to be somewhat true, but not entirely. What I've come to realize more is that since often the values we have are the results of years upon years of evidences, (note I'm using the term liberally; the term here meaning the information we have come into direct contact with, most people will put more stock in the anecdotal evidence of a good friend than mounds of empirical data) it takes years of counter-evidences to prove to them sufficiently to the contrary. For example, lets say someone is the victim of a violent crime by a Hispanic. Despite knowing many Hispanics who have not committed violent crimes to this individual, the one incident is weighted higher than the empirical evidence. Can this person be disabused of their fallacious belief? Absolutely. But not by showing them that their 'knowledge' is based on emotion rather than logic. This will only weigh a small amount in comparison to the traumatic experience. Rather, through years of associating with Hispanics who work hard to show said individual that they are good, kind people, it will eventually be corrected.
That makes sense, and I like your example. Here's the experience (from a while ago) that got me thinking about this:

I ride my bike a whole lot (as has probably been evident in some of my answers). I also have put some money into it and I'm somewhat protective of it. Thus, I don't like locking it up where it's subject to the random violence of more casual cyclists. (I've seen how people tend to jam and shove their bikes in any place where they even sort of fit, and that can easily bend a derailleur, which usually needs to be replaced as a result.) I also like to keep it out of the weather as much as possible.

So anyway, I'd started storing my bike inside the apartment, in my bedroom. Shortly thereafter I got a new roommate who objected. I suggested that I could just keep it on my side of the room and out of his way, but he said no, he didn't want it in the room even then. He offered the reasoning that bikes were dirty, but then provided what I'm quite positive was his real reason: bikes just didn't belong inside.

As it turned out, the cleanliness (or not) of my bike wasn't really an issue. (I was the only person in that apartment who ever swept, vacuumed, or mopped, so he clearly wasn't that concerned about dirty floors. Nor did he care that tires aren't any dirtier than shoes, though they can have a somewhat larger surface area.) The real issue was that in his opinion, bikes just don't belong inside. He needed no real logic, and nothing I could have suggested would have changed his mind. I imagine that he just grew up with the idea that bikes don't belong inside.

(I ended up locking my bike up outside in a stairwell, where it was reasonably protected from both careless people and the weather, which was a good compromise.)

This is clearly a much more trivial example than the one you gave, but I believe that as a result, it's also much less likely that my (now former) roommate will ever change his mind. It bothers me that he has no logical reason to dislike my bike being in the room. It's a reaction based purely on habit and upbringing. (I later realized that he really disliked any sort of debate, or even casual discussion about different points of view, which was immensely frustrating to me.)
Tao wrote:Agreed. Sadly it seems there are primarily two factors behind prolonged arguments, first, as Laser Jock mentioned, people making a decision for emotional reasons and then using logic to try to support their decision and those who never even make the attempt to bring logic into the fray.
Yeah, I agree, it's pretty easy to have arguments go nowhere in either of those cases. :)
habiba

Post by habiba »

There's a book about this! Getting to Yes by Fisher, Ury, and Patton. It's actually about negotiations, but they point out a similar problem: people argue based on their positions, not on their interests. People take a position and will become more and more entrenched in it as the argument moves on whether or not it makes any logical sense whatsoever.
allahu akbar
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

LJ, I can't wait till you get married to an emotional woman. I'm curious how you'll react to a girl who bases her arguments solely on emotion. Especially during PMS, pregnancy, breastfeeding, etc.

Then again, I'm sure Yellow would be happy to commiserate with you at that point...
Tao

Post by Tao »

Speaking of negotiation; my thoughts tended toward this sitewhile considering the 'emotions overriding logic' problem. (Most applicable to this thread down towards the end, tender ears {eyes?} ye be warned.) While primarily concerning physical violence, he offers some interesting insight on potential reasons people abandon logic for more ephemeral ends.
Dragon Lady wrote:LJ, I can't wait till you get married to an emotional woman. I'm curious how you'll react to a girl who bases her arguments solely on emotion. Especially during PMS, pregnancy, breastfeeding, etc.

Then again, I'm sure Yellow would be happy to commiserate with you at that point...
Ahh, but he's bright enough to already know the magic words, words that can end such illogical arguements before they ever really begin: "Yes, dear."

Seems no matter how right you may be, any other response is wrong.

Personally, I cannot picture a universe wherein Laser Jock would marry a willfully ignorant woman so you can presume (hope) that she'll always have some ability to rationalize, no matter what emotional/hormonal state she finds herself.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Let us not pretend, however, that logic>emotion. Many of us (especially those in the scientific disciplines) often come to the conclusion that only empirical data and proven trends should be the basis of our action. This can lead us to assume that there is no place for our emotions; rather, that they are something to be guarded against lest they pollute our decision making processes. This is counter to the example of perfect behavior we have been given. The scriptures are replete with examples of Christ not acting until he was moved 'by compassion'. In fact, if we discard as evidences our emotional impressions entirely, we may come to some conclusions we don't like.

For example, by divine design God's existence cannot be proven empirically. Love and familial interaction cannot be understood fully within the scope of evolutionary theory. Material and emotional aid to those in need is poorly supported.

I think we need to come to a balance where neither entirely has sway, but that our decisions are a result of both logic and thought, as well as feeling.
Deus ab veritas
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Dear Tao, I think you just called me a willfully ignorant woman. :)

I'm not saying that he'll marry someone who will never use logic or have any ability to rationalize. What I am saying is that girls are more likely than men to hit an emotional state that trumps all logic. She may even be fully aware of the fact that she is being silly and ridiculous and that logically, all is well. However, emotionally, not all is well. Ask any woman that has ever been pregnant that has burst into tears because she spilled a glass of water into the sink (or some other equally ridiculous situation that logically there is no reason to cry over). I remember quite clearly making a pie crust when I was pregnant. I had it all rolled out and was moving it to the pie plate when, heaven forbid, the crust tore. Up until that point I had been having a wonderful and happy day. But when that pie crust tore, I burst into tears and buried myself in Yellow's shoulder, sobbing that I had ruined dessert. It wasn't going to be pretty anymore. I was fully aware at the time that the tear a) could be mended by pinching the pie crust together and b) wasn't going to be visible as it was on the bottom of the pie. I was half laughing through my sobs because I knew I was being utterly ridiculous, but I sobbed anyway because my emotions screamed that the world was breaking and I was the one who caused it.

Ok, so maybe pregnancy makes these situations almost hyperbolic, but let me tell you, PMS is just as real and usually not as funny. Like the other night when Yellow was working hard on Board 5.0 and I asked him a question that he didn't answer immediately and didn't show the attitude that I expected/wanted him to express. It wasn't long before I grumpily turned off the computer and stormed off to get ready for bed. (For the record, that is not usually my reaction. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was one of the worst ways I've ever responded to a situation.) Luckily Yellow is smart and he followed after me, despite me repeatedly pushing him away and ducking away to continue getting ready for bed. He finally just crawled into bed with me and made me talk it out. As I calmed down, and especially as I thought about it the next day, I realized that my reaction had no base in logic at all. Rather, it was solely based on emotion. Emotion that I couldn't easily control. Even that night as I lay there, falling asleep, I knew I had been an idiot and couldn't really tell what exactly had caused my outburst or even what I was upset about. But I do remember this looming cloud of emotion that very clearly told me that something was wrong and that I was upset about it. I apologized to him later, after I figured things out, and we were able to talk about things in a much more logical manner.

LJ and I have already had a rather long talk about the different ways people view the world. It took a bit of storytelling to help him see that not everyone debates the way he does. I think he probably understood my answer up there better than anyone because of that conversation. He probably (hopefully) also knows that my reply up there was tongue in cheek and said in a bit of humor.

I just think it's interesting to see how a very logical-minded person and a very emotionally-minded person interact. I'm not saying it can't work. By all means, no. Yellow and I are that very couple and we get along fantastically. I'm really just curious as to how LJ's tactics and views will change once he's in that kind of situation on a more regular basis.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Right. I've also read some research that shows that (sometimes) people are happier with decisions they make based on "gut feelings."
Foreman

Post by Foreman »

Dragon Lady wrote:I remember quite clearly making a pie crust when I was pregnant. I had it all rolled out and was moving it to the pie plate when, heaven forbid, the crust tore. Up until that point I had been having a wonderful and happy day. But when that pie crust tore, I burst into tears and buried myself in Yellow's shoulder, sobbing that I had ruined dessert. It wasn't going to be pretty anymore. I was fully aware at the time that the tear a) could be mended by pinching the pie crust together and b) wasn't going to be visible as it was on the bottom of the pie. I was half laughing through my sobs because I knew I was being utterly ridiculous, but I sobbed anyway because my emotions screamed that the world was breaking and I was the one who caused it.
This is not an overreaction. There is nothing worse than tearing a friggin' pie crust, ESPECIALLY if it rolled out perfectly and it's just the moving that does it. RRRRRGH.

Now I need to go lie down.

-Foreman the VERY rational dude
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

Hey, don't lump all women together under the crazy-during-PMS/pregnancy banner. Some of us stay normal.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Darth Fedora wrote:Hey, don't lump all women together under the crazy-during-PMS/pregnancy banner. Some of us stay normal.
Sorry. I stereotype here because it makes me feel better to know that when I do act crazy thanks to wonderful hormones, there are others out there with me and it's not entirely my fault.

Also, maybe I should point out that I don't go crazy EVERY time. I'm just more prone to succumb to emotions over logic when hormones rage.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Dragon Lady wrote:Dear Tao, I think you just called me a willfully ignorant woman. :)
Not at all. (At least, such was not my intention.) And to be honest, those that could truly be called willfully ignorant would have never entertained the idea of a connection to themselves, I'd think. So regardless of what I did/why; your actions prove where you stand.
Dragon Lady wrote:... Like the other night when Yellow was working hard on Board 5.0 and I asked him a question that he didn't answer immediately and didn't show the attitude that I expected/wanted him to express. It wasn't long before I grumpily turned off the computer and stormed off to get ready for bed. (For the record, that is not usually my reaction. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was one of the worst ways I've ever responded to a situation.) Luckily Yellow is smart and he followed after me, despite me repeatedly pushing him away and ducking away to continue getting ready for bed. He finally just crawled into bed with me and made me talk it out. As I calmed down, and especially as I thought about it the next day, I realized that my reaction had no base in logic at all. Rather, it was solely based on emotion. Emotion that I couldn't easily control. Even that night as I lay there, falling asleep, I knew I had been an idiot and couldn't really tell what exactly had caused my outburst or even what I was upset about. But I do remember this looming cloud of emotion that very clearly told me that something was wrong and that I was upset about it. I apologized to him later, after I figured things out, and we were able to talk about things in a much more logical manner.
That is... rather disturbing. Proof positive that married life isn't the end of all problems, but is merely the next level of progression with greater challenges and rewards.
Foreman wrote:This is not an overreaction. There is nothing worse than tearing a friggin' pie crust, ESPECIALLY if it rolled out perfectly and it's just the moving that does it. RRRRRGH.
Do y'all not roll out your pie crusts on wax paper? Get the nice and wide rolls, damp the counter, lay it down, flour it and roll away. Don't know if I've ever torn a pie crust after it was rolled. Keeping the edges neat while rolling; now that's something I've always struggled with.[/quote]