What to do when you're sick

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

What to do when you're sick

Post by thebigcheese »

I've had a sore throat for the past week or so, but it's recently migrated to my chest and I'm starting to feel a lot worse. So I've banned myself to the couch until I start feeling a little better. When you're sick, what do you do to keep yourself amused?

I wish my mom was here to bring me snacks...
Sky Bones
Board Writer

Post by Sky Bones »

I got a nasty cold about four weeks ago, and it finally has almost entirely cleared up this past weekend. Of course, I couldn't ban myself to the couch because I had to keep working and chasing my little one around... and we also don't have a couch here, so that would make it a bit difficult... we don't even technically have a bed...

Anyway, whenever I'm so sick I stay home, I always play video games. Sometimes I'll watch a movie or two, but usually I'll start a new game on a fairly expansive RPG.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I lie in bed and read or watch TV shows on my laptop.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I read philosophy.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I curl up on the couch and watch musicals, because I know most of them by heart and can fall asleep without missing the plot.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I watch Full House. Or Disney movies. Primarily the old ones, a la Robin Hood and Fox and the Hound, and sometimes Lion King.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I read both books and things on the internets, and I play computer games.

Then there was that time I was put on respiratory isolation for a whole week and the internet was sketchy and all the computer games were boring and I didn't have any books and I was so freakin' miserable...
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

If you have chest congestion, I suggest sitting up on the couch. It will make breathing easier.
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

When I'm sick, I always try to show the disease who's boss. I just drug up, and then I proceed with life as usual--classes, work, exercise. Blooping around only makes you weak!
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Marduk wrote:I read philosophy.
You, sir, are either lying or very lame. Philosophy? Really? Maybe, MAYBE if you meant thumbing through some well worn copy of a favorite treatise (which is still kind of pushing it in my book), but I'm trying to imaging you lying around, sicker than a dog, while researching some new complex take on life-the-universe-and-everything. And I'm not buying it.

Anyway, when I'm sick, I stop being sick and be awesome instead.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

So my sore throat has disappeared, and I've picked up an unproductive cough that keeps me up at night. Awesome.

Anyway, I've been occupying myself with wedding planning, which is probably good since I've been lagging behind on that. Remember this question? http://theboard.byu.edu/index.php?area=viewall&id=57422

Yeah, that was me.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I'm planning my wedding too! Why is it so hard to make successive decisions?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Dude, making decisions is hard.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I fully admit to being lame. Fear and Trembling is probably one of my favorite books. Reading Kierkegaard is practically like reading a novel. I also occasionally (don't tell Vorpal!) read Ayn Rand.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Marduk wrote: I also occasionally (don't tell Vorpal!) read Ayn Rand.
Gotta admit, lady can tell a story.

I'm still not gonna read Anthem when I'm sick. Irregular use of pronouns makes me nauseous.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

I studiously avoid that woman and her writings.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

I liked Anthem! And it was a quick read, which is always a bonus. Her other books are thick enough to intimidate the heck out of me. And speaking of long books, I recently dug out my copy of Go Forward With Faith. I'm still trying to get over the intimidation factor on that 600-page monster, and I'm only on chapter three. :?

I've never been much of a reader though...

(I try to force myself because I know it's good for me, but it's hard for me to avoid zoning out. Or I'll have trouble sitting comfortably. Or I'll decide that my laptop is more interesting.)
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

It took me a couple months to actually get into Atlas Shrugged. But once I got past the first few chapters, it went rather fast. Finished in like a week.Though I did skim the angry ranting speeches at the end. Shame on me.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Heh. That's what I did with The Jungle.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

You know, I've always been curious about The Jungle. How was it?