Encore - practice round

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Encore - practice round

Post by Katya »

OK, here are the rules:

1. The first person names a theme, a category, or a keyword. (Try to make it specific enough that it's pretty clear which songs do and don't fit the category.)

2. Anyone who wants to play has 24 hours to post the lyrics of a song. (You can include the name of the song and the artist, if you know it, but you don't have to.)

3. For the song to count, you have to post 8 consecutive words from the lyrics, including the part of the lyrics that meets the requirement for the category. (Looking the lyrics up online counts as cheating, so you're on your honor not to do so.)

4. You can post lyrics in a foreign language, unless someone has already posted that song in any language. (I.e., if the category is "Christmas carols," you can't keep posting "Silent Night" in different languages.)

5. After 24 hours are up, whoever has posted has passed the first round, and is eligible for the second round, which also takes 24 hours. Playing continues until only one person is left or until everyone is out of song ideas. The last person left gets to start the next round (or we might rotate, if one person keeps winning).

6. I suppose we should allow other players to "challenge" the songs posted by one player, either if the lyrics are wrong or if they feel that the song doesn't meet the category requirements. Any thoughts on how challenges should work?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Encore - practice round

Post by Katya »

Here's the first category:

In honor of the recent discussion about Yellow and Dragon Lady's future children, you have to post a song with the word "yellow" in the lyrics (or the equivalent word in another language). (Since this is a practice round, you can ask questions and we may end up stopping and starting or starting over, as needed.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

My contribution:

We all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine, yellow submarine.

- The Beatles, "Yellow Submarine"
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

So just do one song? And I'm guessing once someone has posted those lyric, you can't use them. Also, what's the rule on using the same song for different rounds?

It was an itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, yellow polka dot bikini that she wore for the first time... that day? Today? I have it anyway.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

"Red and Yellow and Pink and Green, Purple and Orange and Blue. I can sing a rainbow..."

~the Rainbow song
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I wrote a song, I wrote a song for you, and it was called Yellow.

~Yellow, Coldplay
Deus ab veritas
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:So just do one song?
Correct. (Per round, anyway.)
bobtheenchantedone wrote:And I'm guessing once someone has posted those lyric, you can't use them.
Right.
bobtheenchantedone wrote:Also, what's the rule on using the same song for different rounds?
When we start a new game with a new category, you can reuse songs from old games, if they fit the new criteria.
Yellow

Post by Yellow »

(Aw… a round all about me! I'm so honored!)
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

"Our Primary colors are 1, 2, 3: red, yellow, and blue."

--"Primary Colors"
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I'm just mad about Saffron, Saffron's mad about me. They call me mellow yellow.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Apple-red and lemon-yellow turn into orange jello; mixing colors makes me hungry... for jellybeans.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world!

(Do any of you know this song? It's one I grew up singing in church. These days it's more often sung, "Whether they be dark or light, they are precious in his sight," which is a bit more politically correct.)
Tao

Post by Tao »

Emiliana wrote:Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world!

(Do any of you know this song? It's one I grew up singing in church. These days it's more often sung, "Whether they be dark or light, they are precious in his sight," which is a bit more politically correct.)
That's the way I grew up singing it, Emiliana. Didn't know there was a 'politically correct' version.

He said: Lord; I never complain, I never ask why, just don't let my dreams run dry underneath this Amarillo sky.

Jason Aldean - Amarillo sky
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

So lessee:

Assuming we continue this political correctness, we've got red (Native American) yellow (Asian) black (African/African American) and white (caucasian.)

Where's the brown? Jesus didn't love them?
Deus ab veritas
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Marduk wrote:So lessee:

Assuming we continue this political correctness, we've got red (Native American) yellow (Asian) black (African/African American) and white (caucasian.)

Where's the brown? Jesus didn't love them?
By that extension, he hates Blue Man Group too. ;)
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

They are actually white. I'll let you in on a secret; they wear body paint that's blue.
Deus ab veritas
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:They are actually white.
All of them? Has there ever been a blue man of color (besides blue, I mean)?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Round 1 is over. Katya, bob, C is for, Marduk, Dead Cat, krebscout, ahem., Emiliana, and Tao have all passed. On to Round 2!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Follow the Yellow Brick Road. / Follow the Yellow Brick Road. / Follow, follow, follow, follow, follow the Yellow Brick Road!

-"Follow the Yellow Brick Road" from The Wizard of Oz
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Also, I'll be traveling tomorrow, so I probably won't be online to close out Round 2. The first person who notices that it's been more than 24 hours is welcome to close it and open Round 3 in my place.