61689 - Douches, Breastfeeding, and Bananas oh my

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

wired

61689 - Douches, Breastfeeding, and Bananas oh my

Post by wired »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/61689/

First off, props to Eirene. She did a great job on looking into each of these.

Second, quite the opposite of Eirene, I am surprised that Lysol isn't an effective contraceptive when used as a post-insemination douche. Sperm aren't the most resilient organisms on the planet and can die from a wide variety of things. I wonder when Wikipedia says it isn't an "effective" contraceptive, if that means it doesn't prevent conception at a certain level. (That I could very clearly see.) Anyone have any ideas on that?
Humble Master

Re: 61689 - Douches, Breastfeeding, and Bananas oh my

Post by Humble Master »

No.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Humble Master wrote:No.
So helpful, you always are. ;)
Eirene
Board Writer

Post by Eirene »

Thanks wired, I'm glad you enjoyed the answer!

So all-knowing Wikipedia says that post-coital douching can reduce the chances of getting pregnant by 15-25% (see the fifth paragraph of this section), and I had originally scoffed at that because I was comparing it to modern birth control methods that are over 99% effective. But I really have no idea how commonly-used or effective other forms of birth control from that time period were, so maybe compared to the limited number of its contemporary birth control methods, it was actually reasonably effective. Interesting...now I wish I had thought about that before I wrote that answer up!