Random Thread V

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Fredjikrang wrote:IQ tests are timed. ;D
But it told me that timing wouldn't affect my scores. Also, another one told me that if I applied for MENSA I would probably get in.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:
But it told me that timing wouldn't affect my scores. Also, another one told me that if I applied for MENSA I would probably get in.
MENSA? That's funny. That is hilarious. That the largest IQ test organization's name means dummy or idiot in Spanish.
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

You guys, I was totally in the Daily Universe today, and it was not even Police Beat-related.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Darth Fedora wrote:You guys, I was totally in the Daily Universe today, and it was not even Police Beat-related.
Not in the police beat? Well that's no fun.
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Post by yellow m&m »

Hey Everyone!

This Thursday at 6:30 pm the Welsh Choir will be preforming. I'm a part of it, and we're pretty amazing. Come listen! Please?
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise
Tao

Post by Tao »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:
The last I was aware, Mensa required an IQ with a z score above 2, so a Wechsler 130 or Stanford-Binet 132. If I remember my statistics, that's just under the 98th percentile. Most tests cannot do much to differentiate the extremes, the difference between a 1 and a 2 z score is a jump from 84th and 98th percentile, whereas the next standard deviation up, z score 3 is 99.9th percentile, scores beyond that just add nines. It would be rather difficult for a 30 question test to have any accuracy at that level.

Post by 361 »

And IQ tests are pretty archaic...

There are many different measures of intelligence and it gets spread around a bit...

IQ, social affluence, artistic ability, physical prowess, experience, etc... are all different "areas" of intelligence

Someone may be able to calculate 125156 x 324364 in their head in under 5 minutes, but who is to say they are smarter than the person who can create a masterpiece portrait.
Giovanni Schwartz

Tao wrote:
Giovanni Schwartz wrote:
The last I was aware, Mensa required an IQ with a z score above 2, so a Wechsler 130 or Stanford-Binet 132. If I remember my statistics, that's just under the 98th percentile. Most tests cannot do much to differentiate the extremes, the difference between a 1 and a 2 z score is a jump from 84th and 98th percentile, whereas the next standard deviation up, z score 3 is 99.9th percentile, scores beyond that just add nines. It would be rather difficult for a 30 question test to have any accuracy at that level.
That's interesting info. Thanks for the explanation.

Also, did anyone else figure out who one of the new board writers is today like I did?
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I'm not a creepy stalker. But I was pleased to be directly referenced in an answer.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I just realized I haven't read the Board yet today.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Post by xkcd *** »

I just finished registering for next semester.
But thick as you are, pay attention!
My words are a matter of Pride.

My Goal: To make enough money to hire Jeremy Irons, the voice of Scar from The Lion King, to follow me around and do my dialogue.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

xkcd *** wrote:I just finished registering for next semester.
Ha! Me too!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Giovanni Schwartz

Dear Sam,

I do not, in fact, know the person you asked me about.

Yours truly,
Gio, who is too lazy to log out of one gmail account and in to another.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

My printer is being dumb. It won't let me print unless there is ink in all four cartridges. I'm only using black and I have lenty of black ink. Stupid printer. I don't want to buy the missing colors.

Post by 361 »

Have you tried printing it with the black & white (or monochrome) option turned on?

On my printer... If I don't have a color cartridge, I can still print if I use the black and white option...

But that's probably on a printer by printer basis....
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Dear Sam,

I do not, in fact, know the person you asked me about.

Yours truly,
Gio, who is too lazy to log out of one gmail account and in to another.
Oh, so it is laziness. I always wondered why you respond to me differently each time.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

361 wrote:Have you tried printing it with the black & white (or monochrome) option turned on?

On my printer... If I don't have a color cartridge, I can still print if I use the black and white option...

But that's probably on a printer by printer basis....
I did. but I don't hate it too much. It does have a scanner which has come in very useful in my classes.
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Wow... this place is deathly silent. Everyone must be participating in Nanowrimo...
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I should be. But I took a nap and just now woke up. And i had my self convinced that I was late to my important meeting at ten. and then my roommate said good morning to me. And I started, so she told me it was still night.
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Post by yellow m&m »

I was at a play with bob. And I didn't even write that much today. And I'm going to bed. I can't stay up until 1 am again, my body would kill me.
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise