Random Thread V

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:I just found an online copy of a great grandfathers will. It's officials, we were slave holders. Any suggestions on how to find the descendants of those slaves to say "What's up!"?
I have a suggestion: DON'T.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Seriously. That would be the worst thing in the world to do.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Sometimes slaves took the last name of their owner. You might try looking for people with the same last name as your great grandfather. However, like the others, I don't see any good that would come from your efforts to contact them.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

That's probably true. And it'd be a terrible conversation starter to say "Hey, what's up? My greatgranddaddy owned your greatgranddaddy, and so I thought I would say hi."

Probably not the best of ice breakers.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Masterful understatement, Nanti-SARRMM.

Unless, of course, the person you were talking to believes in reparations, in which case he may then ask you for a large sum of money.

Did I ever tell you that my greatgranddaddy is a Black? Ah, I don't think you're prepared to hear that. Consider it just a feeble joke.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

I'm a descendent of William Young Black and Jane Johnston Black. They joined the Church in January, 1839, in Manchester, England. William soon after received the priesthood.

The joke in the family has been something like this, "My father [mother, other ancestor] is a Black, and so was his[her] father. In fact, in my genealogy the Blacks have held the priesthood from generation to generation continually since 1839."
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

vorpal blade wrote:Unless, of course, the person you were talking to believes in reparations, in which case he may then ask you for a large sum of money.
Ah ha ha, no. I figure if the sins of the father go down to the 3rd or 4th generation, that I escape by at least 2 generations. The expiration date has surely passed on one of those things.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

vorpal blade wrote:I'm a descendent of William Young Black and Jane Johnston Black. They joined the Church in January, 1839, in Manchester, England. William soon after received the priesthood.

The joke in the family has been something like this, "My father [mother, other ancestor] is a Black, and so was his[her] father. In fact, in my genealogy the Blacks have held the priesthood from generation to generation continually since 1839."
Were they Slytherin?
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Cognoscente wrote:
vorpal blade wrote:I'm a descendent of William Young Black and Jane Johnston Black. They joined the Church in January, 1839, in Manchester, England. William soon after received the priesthood.

Were they Slytherin?
Win.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Ha! I get your yoke. They were Irish, actually. But we think of them as the Black sheep in the family. :)
Giovanni Schwartz

Cognoscente wrote:

Were they Slytherin?
Oh, Cognoscente. How I've missed you. Also, I am reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And I laughed out loud when I recognized your writer bio in the second book.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Oh, Cognoscente. How I've missed you. Also, I am reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And I laughed out loud when I recognized your writer bio in the second book.
Sounds like you're shaping up to be the kind of hoopy frood who really knows where his towel is.
Foreman

Post by Foreman »

Cognoscente wrote:
Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Oh, Cognoscente. How I've missed you. Also, I am reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And I laughed out loud when I recognized your writer bio in the second book.
Sounds like you're shaping up to be the kind of hoopy frood who really knows where his towel is.
Unimportant fact: despite general usage, "hoopy" is actually a noun (meaning "really together guy"). As in, "You sass that hoopy Cognoscente?"
Giovanni Schwartz

Cognoscente wrote:
Oh, I ALWAYS know where my towel is at. Can I borrow your car?
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Sometimes I feel bad spurting out something completely random and not applicable to the situation at hand, but today I'm deciding to do it anyway.

I just had the greatest idea for my writer pseudonym if ever I were to be a writer. Which I won't be, since I'm not a BYU Student and I am also too lazy. There is just not a C to be found in my name (not that it really matters, but sometimes I think that to really be the best person for this nym I should at least be named Carolyn or something).

On another topic, it weirds me out that this random chatter thread just keeps going. In the other forums I was part of they cut of the threads at 150 posts without fail. I'm not complaining, it is just something that I will have to get used to.

Okay, you can make sure to check the other discussions now. I know I'm fascinated.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

I figure we can close it down after 100 pages or so. It's a nice round number. :D
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Wow.

Post by xkcd *** »

Um... Hullo!

I'm just wondering what these "global searches" at the top are.

And why was someone searching for "hindi jokes", and "philippine chess"?
But thick as you are, pay attention!
My words are a matter of Pride.

My Goal: To make enough money to hire Jeremy Irons, the voice of Scar from The Lion King, to follow me around and do my dialogue.
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Hey! We haven't seen you in a while!

And we think that they're a way for informe to make money.
Giovanni Schwartz

Re: Wow.

xkcd *** wrote:Um... Hullo!

I'm just wondering what these "global searches" at the top are.

And why was someone searching for "hindi jokes", and "philippine chess"?
Oh, I've missed you!