Introduce Yourselves!

Introduce yourself and meet other readers!
C is for
um Administrator

Introduce Yourselves!

Post by C is for »

Hi everyone!

If you would like to introduce yourself to the forum, this is a great place to do so. What you like to be called, how you met the Board, why you like the Board, why you came to the message board, what you like to do when you're not reading the Board, your major, your occupation, etc.

I'm C is for _____. Sometimes (often) I can't think of a good C word to sign off with. People have started shortening it to C4, which I will answer to. I chose such an unwieldy pseudonym when asking my second question. It was clear in my question that I was suffering from various maladies starting with C, but I didn't want to state them outright, so signed as "C is for" to let them fill in the mental blanks themselves. It's lovely and versatile. I like the Board because I learn things, and it's funny. The archives got me through a difficult time where I was really, really bored and couldn't work on biochemistry. I joined the message board because I was obsessed and wanted to see what was up. Currently I'm an online secretary, which means I work wherever there's internet, so there's still lots of time to waste on the Board.

How about you?
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I'm me. I've been here longer than just about any of the active posters except maybe bob. And 42. And Krebscout. And Yellow M&M. And apparently Gimgimno (Although I think I've been more active longer.) And UoE, bismark, coggers, and I suppose you could count Dead Cat. Although marginally so. You all know and love me. Even if you think you don't like me, you really do. I've been reading for... a couple years? Yeah. At least three, now, seeing as I started reading when my brother Craig Jessop (who I just realized most of you don't remember. Sad!) was still at home, before he even left for BYU.

I don't go to BYU. And I hope to never go to BYU. I like my institute just fine. And I don't need credit for religion classes, no matter how good they are. (And, in case you're wondering, I could get BYU credit for my classes if I opted to.)

I like large computer screens, cute girls, funny people, and people who can take a joke, even if it's not necessarily politically correct. For the most part, I mostly giggle when people swear (and yes, I'm secure enough in my masculinity to giggle), although I don't partake myself.

I'm not easily offended, and I often make fun of myself, but only if I've made fun of you first. If I make fun of you, it means I like you. If I don't make fun of you, it means I think you have fragile emotions and could get your feelings hurt easily, or I just plain don't like you. Or I haven't interacted with you enough to know whether I like you or not.

I'm unlike my brother in that I don't enjoy stalking an obscene number of political blogs, because I know what I believe, and nothing anyone says is going to change that. If I do change something, it's because I've reasoned it out in my head, and it makes more sense the other way.

That's why I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It's the only way that makes sense.

I'm currently a mechanical engineering major at the university nearest my home, but after I go on a mission, this may change. Ultimately, my ideal life would be studying languages and working for a large tech company, like Google, facebook, or Apple.

I use a PC for the same reason I use an Android phone: I like having control over what I use. I've found my PC to be infinitely more customizable than the Mac that we got. And our Mac (that's supposed to be immune to freeze-ups or whatever) freezes up for more often than my laptop, and I use my laptop for some gaming, too. And our Mac has basically nothing on it except the stock stuff.

And now that I've told you far more about myself than any of you actually cared to know, I'll stop.

But if you want to know more about me, feel free to ask questions. I'm generally pretty open, and will probably answer your questions (with a few exceptions.)
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:I use a PC for the same reason I use an Android phone: I like having control over what I use. I've found my PC to be infinitely more customizable than the Mac that we got.
You might be interested in Linux, in that case. If you think Windows PCs are infinitely more customizable than Macs, Linux is ∞! (infinity factorial) more customizable than Windows. :) Seriously, it's crazy how you can tweak pretty much anything you want to. You don't have to, mind you (especially if you pick a distribution like Ubuntu, which is aimed to simplify and have good defaults), but you can.

(If you're not ready to switch all the way, you could always try either dual-booting or, my recommendation, running it in a virtual machine.)
Giovanni Schwartz

I would, and have thought about it in the past, but at this point, it's not worth it to learn a new OS two months before I'm gone for 2 years, and by the time I come back, there will be all sorts of things to re-learn.
Marzipan

Post by Marzipan »

Gio, I'm glad you're secure enough in your masculinity to giggle. I had a funny mental image of an adult man clapping his hands to his mouth and kicking his feet while hearing some hard-core bikers cuss like sailors. It made me smile.
Giovanni Schwartz

Marzipan wrote:Gio, I'm glad you're secure enough in your masculinity to giggle. I had a funny mental image of an adult man clapping his hands to his mouth and kicking his feet while hearing some hard-core bikers cuss like sailors. It made me smile.

Heh heh heh... I'm not quite clapping my hands to my mouth, but a giggle is more like a snicker than a laugh, but more like a chortle than a snicker, but more like a laugh than a chortle. Ya know?
Marzipan

Post by Marzipan »

According to Webster's online dictionary:

to snicker = to laugh in a covert or partly suppressed manner

to chortle = to laugh or chuckle especially in satisfaction or exultation

to laugh = to show emotion with a chuckle or explosive vocal sound

So by your clarification, a Man and/or Giovanni Schwartz Giggle (because I giggle too, and it's of the cover-the-mouth-and-kick-feet-delightedly variety, I assure you), is:

...more "in a covert or partly suppressed manner" than a laugh; yet "with more satisfaction or exultation" than a snicker; but has "more emotion and explosive vocal sound" than a chortle.

Does that sound better?
Giovanni Schwartz

Yep. That about covers it.
Giovanni Schwartz

You know, I feel preeeety lame that only C4 and I have "introduced ourselves". I mean, I have stalked most of you, but I'm always interested in how other people see themselves and what they view as their personal defining characteristics.
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:You know, I feel preeeety lame that only C4 and I have "introduced ourselves". I mean, I have stalked most of you, but I'm always interested in how other people see themselves and what they view as their personal defining characteristics.
Gio, that's kind of creepy. Stop stalking people.
Giovanni Schwartz

Well, see, I guess you could call me the stalker of the board. But I actually don't really have to do any stalking now. People kind of stalk themselves for me.
UnluckyStuntman

how on earth do people stalk themselves?
Giovanni Schwartz

Well, see, I get an inkling of an idea who they are (typically through either theirs or Chilly's [who hates me] blog posts), and then they do something silly, like poking me on facebook, or friend requesting me, or commenting on one of my friends statuses about reading the archives (I'm looking at you, HFACACK!), or one of my board writer friends comments on their status, like the one I mentioned last night, and then I see that they are friends with all of my writer friends..

So generally, I owe it to a mind that retains the stupidest random pieces of knowledge ever, and never regurgitates anything, and being facebook friends with four ex-writers and several readers.
UnluckyStuntman

huh. good to know.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I'll introduce myself.

I am pretty much in charge here, 'cause Fredji was the one in charge and then he left and I was still here. Of course, this means I pawn things off on other people. I love giving people nicknames specific to their names, and I also have a few terms of endearment that I use for anyone I like. You will see me use them. Sometimes a lot. I'm the unofficial mb party girl, because I have hosted several parties at my home. This results in zero anonymity for me, but I fake it anyway.

Also, I am unquestionably cool. And awesome.

The end.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Giovanni Schwartz

You don't use any nicknames for me, bob. ] =
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Hi. I'm ahem. I've had a long history with the 100 Hour Board and those associated with it, even serving a brief term as a writer. I've been involved with this message board since the beginning, but I took a lengthy leave of absence returning only recently. I guess I consider myself an admin emeritus here: all the perks, with none of the responsibility. ;)

I've graduated and moved on from BYU, and am currently living in the Phoenix area with my awesome sister and her two cats while I pretend to look for a job.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I'm a BYU student who has read the board since before starting here in 2006. I've been reading the message board since it began, and I have posted somewhat regularly since I joined it. I'm honestly not entirely sure how I've managed not to be in charge of anything, but I'm mostly cool about it, except that I would appreciate my title being something other than the desperate plea it is now. I love writing and reading and watching tv. And I haven't stalked Gio.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Unit of Energy wrote:I would appreciate my title being something other than the desperate plea it is now.
I think I only managed to make it sound more desperate. I will ponder on this.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I'll introduce myself after I get back from spending all morning at the registration desk of this conference we're having.