58195 - Feminism

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

wired

Re: 58195 - Feminism

Post by wired »

Katya wrote:
wired wrote:By popular designation, Mormons are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
This is actually where we disagree. From my experiences talking to people who (1) found out I was Mormon and (2) asked me how many wives my dad has, I think that a significant segment of the population includes "Fundamentalist Mormon" in their definition of Mormon. (I suppose you could also argue that they're confusing the two, but not conflating the two, in which case your argument would be valid.)
Fair enough. It seems from the general responses here that my perception of popular thought are way off (particularly in regards to feminism). Since that seems to be the crux of my argument, I don't have much of a choice but to concede that my argument was flawed from the start.

That's why I like this place - let's me test my crazy.
FauxRaiden

Post by FauxRaiden »

You wanna know if someone is a real feminist or not? Ask them if they'd like to eliminate "women's suffrage".

It's baffling how many self-proclaimed feminists don't know what suffrage is.

I would hesitate to label myself as anything because people associate terms differently as they do with feminism. I don't call myself a liberal because; A. I don't want people to think I'm trying to sound cool. B. I don't want people to think I'm blindly associated with one side or another.

I have a problem with labeling altogether. Maybe feminists just need to start saying, "I believe in women's rights" instead.
Waldorf and Sauron

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

FauxRaiden wrote:I have a problem with labeling altogether. Maybe feminists just need to start saying, "I believe in women's rights" instead.
Ha, now define women's rights!
wired

Post by wired »

For the record, I believe in happy.
FauxRaiden

Post by FauxRaiden »

Waldorf and Sauron wrote:
FauxRaiden wrote:I have a problem with labeling altogether. Maybe feminists just need to start saying, "I believe in women's rights" instead.
Ha, now define women's rights!
Never!
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

They have the right to be attracted to me. Am I right, fellas?

...high five!
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Cognoscente, I have a task for you, as it applies to this thread. Please find the Simpson's clip: it is a commercial for duff beer, in which two men spray down a group of protesting feminists with duff.
Deus ab veritas
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

There we go. Everything that ever needs to be said about feminism.
Deus ab veritas