#63196 - Movies you haven't seen

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

#63196 - Movies you haven't seen

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/63196/

Anyone else care to contribute? (I was actually spurred to ask this question by realizing—as I occasionally do—that I still haven't seen Casablanca.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: #63196 - Movies you haven't seen

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

"Let's shock everyone by naming movies bob hasn't seen" is one of Marduk's favorite games. So we know there's a whole list of movies that I haven't seen and, as a result, have cheated myself out of a proper childhood and continue to deprive myself as an adult.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Mary Poppins.

Go ahead, pick your jaw back up off the floor. Except that doesn't really answer Katya's question, because I don't feel I ought to have seen it. Heck, I own it. But I won't watch it until Dragon Baby is old enough to appreciate it so I can appreciate it through her eyes.

To really answer the question…

Harry Potter 7.1. I really should have seen it by now, but I have not.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I have seen so many movies... The only one other people tell me I should see is the rest of "Lord of the Rings," but since I didn't like the first one, why should I watch the rest? :D

As an aside, "Casablanca" is great! I just saw it a few weeks ago and quite enjoyed it.
melbabi

Post by melbabi »

I haven't seen 'The Sandlot.'
Alas! When passion is both meek and wild!
-John Keats
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

I remember the one movie I am the most unhappy with myself for not seeing: the old Alice in Wonderland.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I want to see the Star Wars Christmas Special, but George Lucas is so ashamed of it you can't buy it anywhere.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Democritus

Post by Democritus »

I've seen the SW Holiday Special. YOU ARE NOT MISSING ANYTHING. Please, please don't try to see it.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Democritus wrote:I've seen the SW Holiday Special. YOU ARE NOT MISSING ANYTHING. Please, please don't try to see it.
http://xkcd.com/653/ (The alt text is particularly applicable.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Also, the Board clearly needs to have a Casablanca / Dark Knight party.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

I've never made it through any of The Godfather movies.

I've never seen Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi.

It Happened One Night is one that people reference so much I almost think I've seen it, but I know I haven't.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:"Let's shock everyone by naming movies bob hasn't seen" is one of Marduk's favorite games. So we know there's a whole list of movies that I haven't seen and, as a result, have cheated myself out of a proper childhood and continue to deprive myself as an adult.
Heh heh, that sounds just like me. Basically take all of the movies mentioned thus far and count me in for all of them. I have not seen the following:

Star Wars (uh...like 4 of them?)
Harry Potter (all of them)
Batman: The Dark Knight
Indiana Jones (2nd thru 4th movies)
The Sandlot
Alice in Wonderland (both versions)
Pride & Prejudice (any version filmed prior to the last decade)
Casablanca
Gone With the Wind
Citizen Kane
Titanic
Gladiator
The Patriot
Inception

Which brings me to my next point: it seems like there exists a certain class of people who believe it's their right and duty to force others to watch these movies. I don't understand this. Trust me, if I was really interested in watching these movies, I would have rented them or something. But guess what? I don't care. I know that's hard for you to wrap your brain around, but this is easily the lowest thing on my list of priorities.

"We're going to strap you to a chair and MAKE YOU watch Star Wars!"

Uggh...I've gotten that so many times that it makes me want to hit somebody.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

thebigcheese wrote:Pride & Prejudice (any version filmed prior to the last decade)
So, does this mean there's a version of Pride & Prejudice that you have seen?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Also, to be clear, I deliberately phrased this question to read ask if there are movies that YOU think you should have seen, not that everyone else thinks you should have seen. If you truly don't want to see [pivotal movie of the century], it's no skin off my nose.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I've read 1984 and seen the older film version (which, incidentally, starred Peter Cushing, who played Grand Moff Tarkin, the guy in Star Wars who said "Vader, release him!", as Winston Smith) but I want to see the version with John Hurt which I think actually came out in 1984.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Megamind, Spirited Away, How to Train Your Dragon, Pirates 3, Dark Knight, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Nacho Libre, Inception, and many more.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Katya wrote:
thebigcheese wrote:Pride & Prejudice (any version filmed prior to the last decade)
So, does this mean there's a version of Pride & Prejudice that you have seen?
The classic A&E version was filmed in 1995 which actually was more than a decade ago. Specifically, it was 16 years ago. So it's quite possible she's seen that. And if she hasn't, I'm going to strap her to a chair and make her watch it. :twisted:
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Oh wait. I read that wrong. She hasn't seen any version filmed before 2001. That is so sad. That means she's probably seen the Kiera Knightly version, and not the Collin Firth version. [sigh] I think I'm going to have to have a marathon tomorrow. Maybe I'll actually get my cross-stitch worked on! :)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

I would like to say that I do want to see most of these movies that I haven't seen, but I just don't have the motivation. Also I must admit that I now take a little bit of pride in being able to say "Nope, haven't seen that one."
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Dragon Lady wrote:That means she's probably seen the Kiera Knightly version, and not the Collin Firth version.
Bingo. But don't forget the pink LDS version ;)