Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Dragon Lady

Re: Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Post by Dragon Lady »

Well, here's one for you, then. Are the Democratic debates going on right now, too? Cuz I haven't heard a word about them, but I don't know if that's because they don't currently exist or if it's because the company I keep doesn't care about them.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Typically, when a party has a sitting president, that party's nomination goes to the president. So there are no Democratic presidential candidate debates to be had.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Also, what's with this whole 100 hour board isn't newsnet anymore? What's going on?
Deus ab veritas
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

You REALLY haven't been paying attention. I sort of thought it was a ruse.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

So confused....
Deus ab veritas
Architect

Post by Architect »

TheBlackSheep wrote:You REALLY haven't been paying attention. I sort of thought it was a ruse.
I'm pretty sure it's not a ruse, but seeing how I wasn't even around before the "change", maybe someone more authoritative should chime in.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Marduk wrote:Also, what's with this whole 100 hour board isn't newsnet anymore? What's going on?
TheBlackSheep wrote:You REALLY haven't been paying attention. I sort of thought it was a ruse.
I'm assuming these go together. I don't know if you'll consider me official, but I promise I know what went on there. No, it wasn't a ruse. The Board isn't under NewsNet anymore.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

oOooo I want to know all the gossip about the Board!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I really do!
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I pretty sure it's something they don't want gossiped about, sorry. If someone with more authority wants to chime in, great. But I don't think I should do so.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I was watching video on CNN of Bachmann and Cain dodging the question "Is Mormon Mitt Romney a Christian?" I don't consider myself a Republican, so I don't have a dog in that race, but it was humorous to watch them talk around in circles. You could see the wheels turning in their minds if I say he is, I'll lose X evangelical votes, but if I say he isn't, I'll lose Y moderate votes. which is bigger, X or Y??? :)
Herman Cain wrote:He's a Mormon. That much I know.
Michelle Bachmann wrote:This* is so inconsequential as far as this campaign is concerned
*What religion a candidate is is about the best antecedent I can presuppose based on the context of the video. Which is laughable if she doesn't think it would matter if she went into a primary in somewhere like South Carolina and started saying "So now I'm a Ba'hai!"

the article w/video
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Sky Bones
Board Writer

Post by Sky Bones »

Um, well, it's been almost a year now since DU (not Newsnet, apparently they don't use that name anymore) severed ties with the Board. There's really nothing to gossip about... the Board became too much of a liability to them. It was a very stressful time.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Sky Bones wrote:Um, well, it's been almost a year now since DU (not Newsnet, apparently they don't use that name anymore) severed ties with the Board. There's really nothing to gossip about... the Board became too much of a liability to them. It was a very stressful time.
Sheesh. I remember the stress of going through that with BYUSA.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Whoops, sorry y'all. Marduk and I are friends in real life, and he told me that he hadn't read the Board in a long time. I thought that THAT was a ruse. I was aware that the Board wasn't sponsored by DU/Newsnet/whatever anymore.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

So does this mean that they will start letting in non BYU students?
Deus ab veritas
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Also, to keep this thread from getting too focused, I found this article pretty interesting:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... me_oneline
Deus ab veritas
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Marduk wrote:So does this mean that they will start letting in non BYU students?
I believe they're sticking to the same rules (correct me if I'm wrong, Sky Bones). They're still a BYU entity technically. (I mean, the URL is still byu.edu)
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Marduk wrote:Also, to keep this thread from getting too focused, I found this article pretty interesting:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... me_oneline
Now, I do see a difference between not wanting to vote for a black person because of their skin color (which is not a culture) and not wanting to vote for somebody who comes from a church with a strong personality. People know we have a prophet, and I can understand people getting nervous about voting for somebody who claims this other guy as his divine boss. I don't see that as bigotry in the same way at all.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Sure it is. Every Christian claims God as their "divine boss" (as well as most other religions.) If you'll vote for one, but you won't vote for another, unless there is something extreme about those others, that's bigotry, plain and simple.
Deus ab veritas
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

No way, not the same thing in the public eye. God has had a longstanding, vague-ish political presence, but no president has ever claimed to make decisions based on personal revelation (to my knowledge). I can see how some would fear that if Romney won, America would have blindly voted President Monson into office by proxy.