Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by yayfulness »

For years, I thought they were three people. I guess that says something about how much TV I watch.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

So, boy I've been texting is coming to make pizza Thursday. I am intrigued by him. But a little scared as well. Not of him, but that I'm so desperate for a relationship that I'll fudge a little on my goals in life to be in one. Although I talked to my best friend about it and was informed that the fact that I'm concerned about it is a good sign that I won't. And after all, it's only pizza and video games. With the possibility of my sister showing up at anytime.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

I think as long as you're aware of it and watching yourself, you'll be fine. Goodness knows I feel a bit desperate at times too (after 22 years of being single), but as long as you know you need to watch out for it, I'd actually say that if you're anything like me, you'll be more likely to pass up on something perfectly good because you're second-guessing yourself than you are to jump into something you shouldn't out of desperation. Of course, you may be nothing like me, so this may not be applicable at all.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Thanks again, all.

And Bay, I think that's fine. We can be friends.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Locked out of my bedroom and waiting for a locksmith.... this is why you repair doorknobs when they START to break.
Deus ab veritas
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Too much facebook... Wanted to "like" your post.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

When I graduated with a degree in Family Life and got a job as a programmer I never expected to have 1am emergency calls that meant I had to go to work for a couple hours in the middle of the night. Home now, and I have to go to work again at 10 am. Plus I have to make a personal phone call at some point tomorrow morning which I hope to be able to make, despite my 2 hour calling window being smack dab when I should be at work.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Defy V wrote:Mary Kate and Ashley aren't identical twins. They're fraternal twins.
Based on what?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

yayfulness wrote: Goodness knows I feel a bit desperate at times too (after 22 years of being single) . . .
I maintain that you can't count childhood years as years of single-dom because the term doesn't really apply to kids. (At least, not in a culture in which child marriage is illegal.)
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Katya wrote:
yayfulness wrote: Goodness knows I feel a bit desperate at times too (after 22 years of being single) . . .
I maintain that you can't count childhood years as years of single-dom because the term doesn't really apply to kids. (At least, not in a culture in which child marriage is illegal.)
So do you count singledom from 16, 18, or (for RMs) 21?
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

Katya wrote:
Defy V wrote:Mary Kate and Ashley aren't identical twins. They're fraternal twins.
Based on what?
Wikipedia. Also, they said themselves that they're fraternal. Crazy that they look so much alike, though.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

BayesianConspiracy wrote:
Katya wrote:
So do you count singledom from 16, 18, or (for RMs) 21?
Background: The first time I was asked if I was single was during my freshman year of college. I was, of course, but the question kind of gave me pause because I realized I'd never been asked it before and so I'd never before thought to apply the word to myself. So, my definition of potentially single years are the years during which someone would ask you if you were single.

For myself, then, I count it from 17, since that's when I went to college. For others, I'd probably count 18, for the same reasons. For RMs, I'd subtract 2 (or 1.5) years from the count. (A friend of mine was once talking about the number of years she'd been single (i.e., and therefore looking to get married), but I told her she had to subtract 1.5 years from the total, since she hadn't been looking while on her mission.)

However, I could see arguments for starting the count at 16 or 18 or 21, depending on one's definition of the state.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Yeah, my statement wasn't exactly fair or accurate. (Also, I suppose I did sort of have two girlfriends in kindergarten... Trivia: I have determined by empirical evidence that what I did with one of them is NOT defined as kissing UNLESS I am playing "never have I ever." I maintain that even then, it shouldn't be.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Defy V wrote:
Katya wrote:
Based on what?
Wikipedia. Also, they said themselves that they're fraternal. Crazy that they look so much alike, though.
See, I've heard them say that they're fraternal based on the fact that one of them is taller and a couple of other things, but they were all things that weren't necessarily genetically predetermined. Until I hear that they've had actual genetic testing done, I'll continue to have my doubts. (The NYT article does call them "genetically fraternal but identical-looking sisters," but I read that as "genetically" clarifying the definition of "fraternal," but not making a claim to genetic testing in the same way that you could make a reference to someone being a "blood relative" without having actually done blood work to verify that you're related.)

Um, apparently I have strong opinions on this topic. :roll:
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

yayfulness wrote:Yeah, my statement wasn't exactly fair or accurate. (Also, I suppose I did sort of have two girlfriends in kindergarten... Trivia: I have determined by empirical evidence that what I did with one of them is NOT defined as kissing UNLESS I am playing "never have I ever." I maintain that even then, it shouldn't be.)
:lol:
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

You could make an argument that my first kiss was in second grade, when I dodged a guy while playing tag, said "Missed me missed me now you gotta kiss me!" and found, to my horror, that he took that as an invitation to chase me around the playground and eventually land a kiss on my left elbow.

I, however, do not make that argument.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

In my case it was on the lips, but it was under extreme duress and lasted a fraction of a second. Like I said, I don't think it counts, and neither does anybody else I've talked to, unless they stand to win a game because of it.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

My husband told me when we first started dating that his first kiss was in First grade, when a girl kissed him on the lips and declared herself his girlfriend. When he asked his older sister what to do, she said that he should give her some small present or something, so he gave his "girlfriend" some erasers. A week later, she told him they were done and gave him back the half used erasers.

Later I found out that he hadn't kissed anyone else since then, and just used that story as his "first kiss" to avoid mentioning that fact. In fact, both of us dodged that question until after we had kissed, and both admitted we had never kissed anyone before. I've always felt like saying neither my husband or I ever kissed anyone else in our lives makes me sound like a prude or something, but . . . I didn't date much. Oh well.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

My next kiss happened in 12th grade during a game of Truth or Dare on the way to a temple for a youth temple trip, haha. This guy in my ward and I had really disliked each other, and we were just starting to be mature about it, so neither of us could refuse the dare without looking super immature. But it was just on the cheek and I don't think that one counts either. I've only ACTUALLY kissed one person too, so far. But I'm cool with that :)
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

If we're counting cheeks, then that puts me at two total (counting the more youthful experience too). And it was Church-associated, too--spontaneous, completely unexpected and unwarranted, and about 30 seconds after I received the Melchizedek Priesthood. More trivia: that girl, both of my kindergarten "girlfriends," and the only girl I've ever been on two dates with are all completely inactive or apostate.