Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
mic0

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by mic0 »

Eirene wrote:On goodreads, every time I post a positive review or give a high rating to a book with any mature content, I always envision my goodreads friends (most of whom are nice Church ladies in my book club and old BYU friends) saying, "Professor, she advocates DIRTY BOOKS!"
AHAHA :D You know, I might just have to do that now to mess with you.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Oh, goodreads. Who wants to be my Goodreads friend and recommend new YA/Youth Fantasy that came out in the last two years?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Not me! :) Well, I would totally be your goodreads friend, but I have no YA/Youth Fantasy suggestions.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Oh, goodreads. Who wants to be my Goodreads friend and recommend new YA/Youth Fantasy that came out in the last two years?
I don't really do Goodreads, but that is kind of my genre of choice. Either someone ought to tell me why goodreads is important or I can just make a list of books you might like.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Goodreads is good for finding new books? I guess? It has reviews of books. That are mostly trustworthy. And it's a good stalker tool (to see what people you don't know are like.) I know you're into that, C.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I use Goodreads to recommend books to random strangers. And Gio, here's a list of recently published YA I've recommended to some of those people:
Partials by Dan Wells
Variant by Robison Wells
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Legend by Marie Lu
Cinder by Marissa Meyer
The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde
Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dead Cat wrote:The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde
How did I not know Jasper Fforde had a new series?
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Katya wrote:
For reasons I still don't understand, that book was released everywhere but here a couple years ago. It was only a couple months ago that it hit US shelves.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dead Cat wrote:
Katya wrote:
For reasons I still don't understand, that book was released everywhere but here a couple years ago. It was only a couple months ago that it hit US shelves.
Huh. Maybe they were trying to stagger that release with the Shades of Grey one? (Note the lack of a "50" in that last sentence! Different series!)
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Katya wrote:Note the lack of a "50" in that last sentence! Different series!
I know for a fact that at least one person I've recommended that book to did a double take at the title.

--Jasper Fforde
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dead Cat wrote:
I know for a fact that at least one person I've recommended that book to did a double take at the title.
Well, he's probably gotten some accidental sales out of it.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Dead Cat wrote:
Haha. Eirene read Shades of Grey (and loved it) a few months back and I teased her a few times about the title. Though as she pointed out, the cover art is sufficiently unsexy that hopefully no one who saw her reading it would be confused. :)
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

Has anyone seen the new trailer for the Host? It looks like it should be good!
Portia

Post by Portia »

Well, the man I thought I was going to marry and I sabotaged everything. Although my coursework is in Provo, my job prospects seem better in Salt Lake County. I'd found the perfect place though in Provo. :( All you fine ladies in medicine have me convinced that's the path for me. I can't go through this again and clearly my current field gives me too much free time to ruin my life.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I would love to know all the nitty-gritty details of how Nathan Tinkler went from an electrician at a mining company (i.e., just a worker working for a company already in the mining industry) making A$400 a week (source) to being able to start a mining equipment repair company. I'm not so curious how the rest of his fortunate skyrocketing to billionairehood within 9 years happened; I just want to know how with A$400 a week, he 1) got the necessary equipment to start a mining equipment repair company, 2) got people to work for him, and 3) got access to the big money decision makers to hire him and his little (I'm assuming it was little) band of repairmen. The A$500,000 mentioned in the Wikipedia article is money used to buy the first (lucky is the word I'm really feeling, though I respect and don't discount the risk he took and the work he did) mine, not startup money for his first company.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

While debating posting something over in RR, I discovered that you can save drafts of your posts. My simultaneous reactions were NO WAY and DUH.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I'm visiting D5 for Thanksgiving! Her progeny is in an abnormally good mood for this time of night. Thought you'd all be
interested in that
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I HATE WORLD

This is what preparing my shop for Black Friday does for me, apparently. I am also completely insecure and sure that no one will buy anything.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I bought an art last week.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

What was it?