Your highschool stereotype

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

krebscout

Your highschool stereotype

Post by krebscout »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/71662/

I want to know your answers, though I suspect everybody will say geek/nerd of some form.
Talons

Re: Your highschool stereotype

Post by Talons »

A girl in my school wrote a paper comparing the different types of nerds. When she reported on it to the class, she said I was an example of the Super Nerd. It's still one of my favorite compliments I've ever received.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

I think I was a nerd Mormon, cross bred with cool kid.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Theatre nerd. Still am. No regrets.
beautiful, dirty, rich
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I was social suicide. I think I fit "awkward" better than "nerd" or "geek" or "dork." I had one good friend in all four years. But we're still friends, and I turned out all right.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I did all the academic things it was possible to do. I was also involved in choir but not nearly to the extent that others were.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I didn't really fit in...most of my friends--and the people that I was most similar to--were band geeks, but I wasn't. So, I was kind of a band geek...that wasn't in band (I did choir). I didn't quite fit the mold of most of the high-achieving students (I mean, I was high-achieving, but not as concerned about it as they were). Probably my best stereotype was "the Mormon"--a title I gladly carried.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

I was a sort of 'nerd-of-all-trades' - I fit in equally with the AP student nerds, band nerds, drama nerds, magic-the-gathering nerds, socially awkward nerds, etc. The table I sat at at lunch was a mishmash of different nerds from the various different groups (even a few goths and druggies from time to time) - I was one of the few steady sitters at that table, but it's where I felt most comfortable. I wasn't into any of the particular interests of the subgroups to the level where I could be completely comfortable with them alone - but a mishmash group was perfect.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Sounds like you all fit in the target audience for the new BBC America show The Nerdist.
Join Chris (Hardwick), Matt Mira, Jonah Ray ­­­­­­­and celebrity correspondents as they welcome actors, writers, comedians, scientists and other nerd icons, hailing from both sides of the pond, to chat about a glorious mélange of Nerdtastic topics.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I suppose I was a choir kid, but I was so awkward and shy that I was part of that group in name only - I only hung out with them when on school trips, and even then I usually kept to myself. I ate lunch in the classroom of a teacher who was a good friend of mine, but I wasn't even really friends with the other kids who regularly hung out in her classroom. My two claims to fame are that I got into the chamber choir and was an editor of the school newspaper my senior year, though in both cases I feel like I got them more based on process of elimination/senior status than merit (even though I was a good choice for a top choir and editing, I don't know that I was "present" enough for anyone to really know that...)

In seminary I had a bit of a reputation. I always memorized scripture mastery verses within a month or so and would proceed to thrash everyone in SM-based games. Also during one of the years we had a program where each chapter of scripture read by a student equaled 1/4 of a mile across the plains, with the odd and even class periods competing against each other, and once a week when the chapters were collected I had always read somewhere between 100-150.

So to recap: in my seminary classes, I was a stereotypical nerd/overachiever; in other classes I was basically non-existent.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Tally M. wrote:I didn't really fit in...most of my friends--and the people that I was most similar to--were band geeks, but I wasn't. So, I was kind of a band geek...that wasn't in band (I did choir). I didn't quite fit the mold of most of the high-achieving students (I mean, I was high-achieving, but not as concerned about it as they were). Probably my best stereotype was "the Mormon"--a title I gladly carried.
This makes me think we are secretly twins separated at birth.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Genuine Article wrote:
Tally M. wrote:I didn't really fit in...most of my friends--and the people that I was most similar to--were band geeks, but I wasn't. So, I was kind of a band geek...that wasn't in band (I did choir). I didn't quite fit the mold of most of the high-achieving students (I mean, I was high-achieving, but not as concerned about it as they were). Probably my best stereotype was "the Mormon"--a title I gladly carried.
This makes me think we are secretly twins separated at birth.
If only.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Yarjka wrote:I was a sort of 'nerd-of-all-trades' - I fit in equally with the AP student nerds, band nerds, drama nerds, magic-the-gathering nerds, socially awkward nerds, etc. The table I sat at at lunch was a mishmash of different nerds from the various different groups (even a few goths and druggies from time to time) - I was one of the few steady sitters at that table, but it's where I felt most comfortable. I wasn't into any of the particular interests of the subgroups to the level where I could be completely comfortable with them alone - but a mishmash group was perfect.

Hey this is pretty close to me, too. A lot of the bandgeeks and drama kids overlapped, and though I played in the orchestra, I joined colorguard just to spend more time with band kids and participated in every drama production. I was also an art kid and a smart kid and definitely a Mormon kid, and I got nominated several years in a row for "Most Arstistic Female" (which I won every year) and "Funniest Female" (which I never won). Also "Most Likely to Win the Lottery" for some reason. I also got along well with the funny-but-didn't-care-about-any-classes-but-film-class-maybe-did-some-drugs types. I was liked enough that I was unexpectedly nominated for Prom Queen my senior year, which I also did not win. And I had such a great mish-mash of uncategorizable friends, and I still keep in contact with several of them. I had a great high school experience.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

I wasn't really a nerd, because I wasn't good enough at anything-wait- well I as really good in German, but I never fit the stereotype of nerd. I didn't fit in anywhere, really. I guess you could say "mormon kid" because that's who I hung out with. But I was one of those kids who made friends with my teachers because they're people too- then people called me a teacher's pet- no, hey! I wasn't trying to get anything out of it. That's not being a pet. Also, I wouldn't shut up. I got told A LOT that before people got to know me, they thought I was really annoying until they realized how funny I was. I honestly don't think I'm that funny, but whatever.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I was definitely a band nerd. I was also part of various clubs which met during lunch (math club, chess club, classic movie club, anime club, etc.). I tried really hard to be a nerd-of-all-trades, but since my high school was so high-achieving I didn't really stand out academically.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Chalk me up for one of those who didn't fit anywhere. I was varsity wrestling team, president of the chess club, and assistant editor to the school paper my senior year. However, all of that belies the kind of high school student I really was: I didn't really do most homework since I didn't want to, but I led class discussions and always wrecked the curve on tests. So I was smarter than the smart kids, but didn't fit in with them since I didn't care for any schoolwork. I wrestled and had a love-hate relationship with it; I couldn't see eye to eye with anyone on the team and didn't really care for any of the things they talked about: their sexual relationships with girls, going out drinking, parties, etc. I got along quite well with ALMOST all of my teachers (except the two that had conniptions when I openly disagreed with them, but I think I've told those stories) and even T.A.ed for two of them my senior year, which mostly meant hanging out with them during their free periods and playing chess. I attended seminary and always "wrecked the curve" there, too, so to speak: I remember several of the games that devolved into me versus the rest of the class. Intellectually, I was a giant fish in a tiny pond, so I couldn't fit in anywhere. Socially, I had no desire to interact with anyone my age.

I hated high school.
Deus ab veritas
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I went to a tiny high school, so we didn't have enough students to have proper cliques, but I'd say I was probably one of the smart kids, although my academic performance fizzled out a bit towards the end of high school.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I think I was kind of a combination between Mary Catherine Gallagher from Saturday Night Live, Chris Knight from Real Genius, and Topanga from Boy Meets World. I'm probably still like that, actually. Although maybe a bit less Mary Catherine Gallagher and a bit more Chris Knight.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I was pretty much the Smart Kid. I wasn't The Smartest Kid, but I was up there. I didn't really have a clique, though (in fact, three of my closest friends all pretty thoroughly disliked each other).
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

I was known by some as "the socially-acceptable Mormon," which I really liked. I was voted best personality by some and was known as a brain and a musical talent, but I'll pick the first one.