Widtsoe Building

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Squirrel
Board Writer

Widtsoe Building

Post by Squirrel »

So, today in #71879, steen said that going to the 9th floor of the WIDB was on his bucket list. What awesome things happen on the 9th floor?
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Re: Widtsoe Building

Post by NerdGirl »

And why are they knocking it down? My mom is going to be so sad. That's where she did her master's back in the 60s.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Apparently it is so seismically unstable, that if an earthquake were to hit, the WIDB would cause the MARB to implode- just from the sheer force of the WIDB's collapse. My professor was kind enough to mention that on the first day of class last summer. And the classroom was in. the. basement. He advised us to choose the best seats for easy row- running and /eventual/ evacuation, assuming you were able to beat the hoard of fleeing students. Nice, huh? :-P
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I would actually be ok with the MARB imploding. I have nothing but bad memories of that building. ;)
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

:-P teehee!
Sparklebreeze

Post by Sparklebreeze »

They keep hundreds of mice up on the ninth floor in a lab.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

they keep (or kept) pigeons on the 10th floor of the SWKT.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Squirrel wrote:So, today in #71879, steen said that going to the 9th floor of the WIDB was on his bucket list. What awesome things happen on the 9th floor?
p.s. Steen is a girl
Reference

Also, I'm not quite sure why Steen would want to visit the 9th floor of the Widstoe, but I could ask my sister when I see her. They went through the same program in college, and spent a LOT of time in that building, so I'd guess that has something to do with it.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

For what it's worth, past Board questions have dealt with what's on the ninth floor of the Widtsoe, and indicate that things like HIV and Ebola are (or have been) housed there. Rumors also say things like anthrax, but that's stated as just a rumor, unlike the other two questions I found about it. (In particular, habiba isn't known for making stuff up, so I'm assuming her answer is correct.)