Word of the Day

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Owlet
Board Writer

Re: Word of the Day

Post by Owlet »

Marduk wrote:
Katya wrote:revenant - A person who has returned, esp. supposedly from the dead.
Pshh, this one was easy. You need to play more video games.
Not to mention Fablehaven! I didn't realize that was a real word. Fantasy books (and video games) mess with my vocabulary sometimes.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Owlet wrote: Not to mention Fablehaven! I didn't realize that was a real word. Fantasy books (and video games) mess with my vocabulary sometimes.
That's where I knew it from! I was trying to figure that out.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

chelonian - turtle
This is one of those words that I almost knew - where I figured out the meaning easily from context and it felt natural and fine, but I don't think I've ever actually seen the word used before.

This one turned up in Nabokov's King, Queen, Knave, for the record.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

n. surcease: stopping. cessation.

I could tell what the word was but had never seen it before. I came across it during Tarzan of the Apes
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

charrette - An intense period of design or planning activity.

Source: An article on urban development.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

anorak - waterproof, hooded, pull-over jacket without a front opening, and sometimes drawstrings at the waist and cuffs (similar to a parka)

Source: this story on a notorious group of hackers that got sentenced recently. (An incriminating note was found in an anorak that belonged to one of them.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Laser Jock wrote:anorak - waterproof, hooded, pull-over jacket without a front opening, and sometimes drawstrings at the waist and cuffs (similar to a parka)

Source: this story on a notorious group of hackers that got sentenced recently. (An incriminating note was found in an anorak that belonged to one of them.)
The word "anorak" is of Inuit origin, which is rare for an English word. (Other English words of Inuit origin include "igloo" and "kayak.")
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Katya wrote:The word "anorak" is of Inuit origin, which is rare for an English word. (Other English words of Inuit origin include "igloo" and "kayak.")
I love how English adopts words from such a wide range of other languages. James Nicoll described it amusingly:
James Nicoll wrote:The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Anthrosol - a type of soil that has been formed or heavily modified due to long-term human activity.

The presence of anthrosols can be used to detect long-term human habitation, and has been used by archaeologists to identify sites of interest.
Digit

Post by Digit »

S.A.M. wrote:Anthrosol - a type of soil that has been formed or heavily modified due to long-term human activity.

The presence of anthrosols can be used to detect long-term human habitation, and has been used by archaeologists to identify sites of interest.
That word ought to return more than zero results on the search at anthropocene.info, a "website designed to improve our collective understanding of humanity's impact on Earth" according to them.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

inutile (adj.) - of no use or service.

Found in Nabokov. Seems like a good enough word - I guess the word 'useless' just won out over time. Looks like 'inutile' remains in use in French, though.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Same with Spanish, "un inutil"
Deus ab veritas
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Laser Jock wrote:I love how English adopts words from such a wide range of other languages. James Nicoll described it amusingly:
James Nicoll wrote:The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.
That is a fabulous quote.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

jejune - 1. Naive, simplistic, and superficial. 2. (of ideas or writings) Dry and uninteresting.

This is a word that I have come across several times, but I always forget its meaning after I look it up. Hopefully it sticks, this time.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

poltroon (n.) - an abject or contemptible coward

I think I'll start using this one.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

grandee - A person of high rank or eminence.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

chandler - A chandler was the head of the chandlery in medieval households, responsible for wax, candles, and soap.

Fun fact #1: I have a friend whose last name is Chandler.
Fun fact #2: The word chandelier is related. I guess I'd never really thought about it.

More if you're curious
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Marduk wrote:Same with Spanish, "un inutil"
There's a whole song surrounding this word/concept in In the Heights. Saddest song ever.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

expiate - to atone for (guilt or sin)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:expiate - to atone for (guilt or sin)
Learned this one in the MTC's TRC.