Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Violet

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Violet »

I'm sure they do. I imagine the mission age change taking out a chunk of BYU students also reduces the applicant pool. If I were still a student, I'd totally throw my name in the hat.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Yeah, I was pretty surprised to see that on there!
mic0

Post by mic0 »

It has happened before at least once, like 3-4 years ago.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Psh... And they still wouldn't accept me, their most dedicated fan. :*(
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

They won't accept me either. Probably 'cause racism.
Deus ab veritas
Giovanni Schwartz

Ugh. They must hate us descendants of Adam or something.
Yellow

Post by Yellow »

I was actually really pleased to see the announcement about writer applications go up. It used to be that the Board was asked how to apply often, and they would answer often. Then writers got tired of answering it so frequently, so the answer became "Look, we just answered that a month ago. Could you go look first?" It seems reasonable to expect that someone who wanted to write for the Board would have read long enough to see that answer, or would at least be able to find it. And then writers just kept answering like that. I think the tradition of telling potential applicants to "search the archives" came about entirely by accident. It's not written in stone anywhere.

With over 70000 answers in the archives, the "correct" answers have been increasingly difficult to find, and there were even a few conflicting answers in there, so even if you found one, it wasn't always the right one. Because it was so difficult to find, applicants have often been fairly limited. A limited applicant pool means that sometimes we were forced to choose between saying under-staffed and accepting an applicant who we didn't feel comfortable with. That's not an ideal situation for the long-term survival of the Board.

I had no input into the writer application announcement that was put up today. I didn't know it was happening until I saw it this morning, just like everyone else. So, while I'm a Board member (and former editor), the above is only my opinion. But I definitely approve. The ability to find the right answer in the Board archives has very little overlap with the skills that make good Board Writers. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing an "Apply to be a writer" button right on the Board itself, but that might introduce too many applicants.

Anyway. Just some thoughts.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Marduk wrote:They won't accept me either. Probably 'cause racism.
You could do something about your racism. Just because your way of behaving or thinking shows that you do not like or respect people who belong to the BYU race doesn't mean that you always have to believe that any race different from your own is inferior. ;)
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

+5 points to Vorpal.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Violet

Post by Violet »

Yayfulness just mentioned the comprehensive clinic being better than CAPS (CCC? Too many acronyms!). I have to add my experience to confirm that truth. The first two people I saw in the counseling center were fine, but not super helpful. The last was better (yes, I went through therapists by semester--the hours thing is another benefit of the comprehensive clinic), but three sessions in at the comprehensive clinic has felt much better all around. Also, weekly appointments (and the ability to reschedule!) without feeling like you have to be "bad enough" is nice.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

I love the answers to #74630 (#AddAWordRuinAMovie).

I don't know, though -- I think some of them actually make the movies sound better. Undead Poets Society sounds like it could be a big improvement on the original (and perfect for Halloween). Same with A Walk to Remember the Alamo.

Raising Arizona Taxes, on the other hand . . .
Portia

Post by Portia »

Marduk wrote:They won't accept me either. Probably 'cause racism.
Anchor Board Babies!
Portia

Post by Portia »

Cindy wrote:I love the answers to #74630 (#AddAWordRuinAMovie).

I don't know, though -- I think some of them actually make the movies sound better. Undead Poets Society sounds like it could be a big improvement on the original (and perfect for Halloween). Same with A Walk to Remember the Alamo.

Raising Arizona Taxes, on the other hand . . .
All of my thoughts involved food. Orange Pulp Fiction, Fight Club Soda, A Clockwork Orange Juice ... Lunchtime?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

This question about calluses and gross feet. I've been jogging lately and last night noticed that the bottoms of my feet are super gross, and when I noticed it I almost asked this very question to the Board! Haha. Weird coincidence. Do people really get calluses on their butts, though? I find that hard to believe, unless you are literally unable to move?
Giovanni Schwartz

P.P.S. I may have made that up about couch potatoes. But it kinda makes sense though. .
mic0

Post by mic0 »

:D OH RIGHT. Thx.
Concealocanth
Board Writer

Post by Concealocanth »

Baboons get butt calluses from sitting. Technically they're "ischial callosities" but w/e :)
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

My hair (or technically, scalp where my hair meets my hair, but girls understand me here, right?) has started to hurt in the place where my head touches my pillow lately. I'm pretty sure it's because I've been laying down so much lately. But not my bum.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/74896/
Concorde wrote:...from what I've noticed about life, it's the people who think they aren't bishop material that end up making great bishops. I would be more worried if your boyfriend was going around saying "You know, I'd make a great Bishop someday."
+1 Well put Concorde.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Personalized pie chart! This is why I still read the Board after nearly a decade. :D