Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Answers I liked

Post by Katya »

Birdy's answer to Board Question #61908

Breaking out which activities cost money was a nice touch.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Re: Answers I liked

Post by thebigcheese »

Katya wrote:Breaking out which activities cost money was a nice touch.
I noticed that too! Very cool.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I take it this is in response to the "Hate" thread. The thing is, I've marked over 700 favorites (this does not include green thumbs) over the years, so while I like a great many, it would take a very long while for me to acknowledge them all in love. So, in a completely impartial method (i.e. clicking the "I'm Board!" button until it brought up a favorited question) I found this one. And no, even though an Alaskan wrote it, it wasn't me or anyone I know--it was a couple years before my time.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dead Cat wrote:I take it this is in response to the "Hate" thread.
A bit. I think it's pretty obvious that this isn't a "hate" forum, but it occurs to me that I don't really know what effect this forum is having on current writers, so I'm happy to throw a little extra love their way, if it makes a difference. And I don't anticipate going through the archives to find all of the questions I liked, but I'm happy to comment every now and then on why I liked a recent answer.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Excellent plan. Because I think it is human nature that when we like something, we nod and smile, and when we don't like something, we come over here to add our two cents.

I don't have a specific post I want to mention, but what I did want to say was how continually impressed I am with the tact and genuine concern the writers show for questions on . . . difficult topics. The ones that write in with depression issues, "should I tell my boyfriend", etc. I hope that those answers help those folk, because I think the writers do a great job.

On a related note, my husband just disassembled and ended up replacing the ice maker in our fridge, after 3 years with no ice. And all I could think was "yes, ice machine." Except with lots of exclamation marks instead.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Classic.
I don't have a specific post I want to mention, but what I did want to say was how continually impressed I am with the tact and genuine concern the writers show for questions on . . . difficult topics.
I think I learned most of my rhetorical writing skills from the Board. When you have a real person with a real problem and you really want them to get help, it's a strong motivation to choose your words wisely.
wired

Post by wired »

Most non-relationship questions and personal drama question. (I just skip over the questions I don't like. I'm not annoyed the Board answers them... why people are annoyed by them... I'll never know.)

I feel like we do a pretty good job of giving positive feedback. I know I've started at least two or three threads simply to gush over a writer's resopnse (and Sauron's being one of them, and I typically disagree with him politically.) Even in threads when I have a critique, I usually try to couple it with something positive about the writer's response. Whenever a writer retires, there's usually a big outpouring of love.

In short, Katya, I hate you and this thread for implicitly hating me and my threads (and I don't mean my clothes!)
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I really enjoy the relationship and personal drama questions, actually. Not so much because the questions themselves are fun to read (most are a bit rambling and hard to follow, but occasionally they are well-posed), but you get some interesting insights into people's personalities by the way they answer such questions.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

those temple stats today were pretty cool
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

No joke.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Hey, I learned something today! I didn't know that Colombia has a temple. I wonder how that's going over down there...

(My mom actually served her mission there, before all the drug lords took over)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

link

Props to Sky Bones for being willing to share a fairly personal story in order to help this reader out. (Rating Pending's answer was also really solid. I think the ability to give a range of advice and opinions on any one subject is one of the great strengths of the Board.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

The answers to my last two questions ("I am 20 years old" and "cruelest holiday") were stellar. I especially like it when I get lots of people to answer my questions. :)
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

The wolf pee paintbrushes pretty much made my day.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

NerdGirl wrote:The wolf pee paintbrushes pretty much made my day.
That's gotta be one of my new favorites.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

My respect for Rating Pending has skyrocketed.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Loved Rating Pending's answer, and laughed out loud at Commander Keen's.
Tim the Monkey

Post by Tim the Monkey »

Dead Cat wrote:#62002

My respect for Rating Pending has skyrocketed.
Ditto!

I also quite enjoyed Birdy's recent Pushing Daisies reference. 8-)
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I thought this answer was fantastic. Maybe it was because I know most of the writers in real life and so the descriptions were fantastic. I think my favorite, though, was The Heartless Siren - "SHE COULD HAVE DIED." But… most of you probably won't get that.

And this was the first time that I realized that Yellow and I could both be considered Asian. Mine was obvious, but I had never considered that Yellow could also be seen that way. We are perfect for each other!
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Ha! A "nice lass"? I'm totally older than you, Gimmy.

We used to chat. What happened to that?