video games

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Whistler

video games

Post by Whistler »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/74977/

So, this guy should start seeing video games as a way to relax with the whole family! Then it won't be as selfish (if he wants a console, otherwise play all the Steam games). Also, he should wait for the PS4 to come out and buy a PS3 (or a Wii, those things are getting cheap). Also, if you don't play FPSs most of the games aren't terrible! Or even buy a PS2 if money is an issue and being current isnt (there are tons of games for it). Or like, a DS (also has a great library and the specs are low enough that most games have a retro feel).

I guess I don't understand the problem? I feel like we don't have enough information on his preferences to give him suggestions about fun games to play. But I guess if you're just coming back to video games after a long time and buy whatever's hot, yeah, it's going to be super violent, because for some reason those games are always marketed the hardest. Depending on the kind of computer he has, I think he should buy a few games on Steam and maybe get a controller for them. </rant>
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: video games

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Oh man, one of the reasons I've been feeling burnout lately is 'cause I'm just not getting time to play every now and then. How did he go years without playing? (Also, it's funny to read that question and realize one of the ways Marduk and I have developed our relationship was through video games.)

I like that Maven mentioned smartphones. If you have one, it's with you everywhere, and there really are some decent games for them. I pull mine out and play a train game whenever I'm feeling a little too hectic or have a few minutes of downtime.

You are also totally right that he should consider family games, Whistler. Some of the best memories I have of my family is when we'd all gather around the Wii and play Wii Music or something (we even got my grandfather to play that one!)
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Katamari Forever! (Sometimes I'm tempted to get a PS3 just for that game.)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I went for a few years in college where I didn't play video games very often... I think I read/wrote 100 HB answers instead? But every once in a while I would pull out a game and my roommates would make fun of/enjoy how nerdy I was
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:one of the ways Marduk and I have developed our relationship was through video games
What games did you guys play that you both enjoyed?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Earlier in our relationship we didn't play the same games; however, I would work while watching him play. We went through Final Fantasy II, Portals 1 and 2, and a couple of shorter games with him only playing when I was there to watch.

The biggest game we share now is Neverwinter. We've done some quests and dungeons together despite our skill gaps, plus we occasionally discuss strategy. We also both play Stronghold Kingdoms, Civilization, and several flash games.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Five to ten personal hours per month is insane and not sustainable.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Portia, are you serious or joking?
Portia

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:Portia, are you serious or joking?
Completely serious.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

She means (I believe) that 5 to 10 hours of personal time a month is not something that will allow her to stay sane over the long term, not anything else.

Right?

I hope I'm right. I need nearly that much a day to stay sane at this point in my life. :S
Portia

Post by Portia »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:She means (I believe) that 5 to 10 hours of personal time a month is not something that will allow her to stay sane over the long term, not anything else.

Right?

I hope I'm right. I need nearly that much a day to stay sane at this point in my life. :S
Yes. Merely ten to twenty minutes of "me" time per day?! Just no.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

OH GOOD! I thought you meant it was insane because it was asking too much, which... seemed a little extreme. Okay, gotcha. :)

As for video games that are good for many people, Worms is pretty fun, too.