Xgiving Traditions

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Giovanni Schwartz

Xgiving Traditions

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/75352/

I had a seminary teacher that made us watch an episode of a TV show called "Amazing Stories" on the day before Thanksgiving. The episode was called, appropriately enough, "Thanksgiving," so it kind of made sense.

You can watch in here: http://movies.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movi ... anksgiving, assuming that direct linking Netflix works. If not, it's in the second season of the show, about 8 or 10 episodes in.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Re: Xgiving Traditions

Post by Marduk »

What's with your title?
Deus ab veritas
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:What's with your title?
I assume it's a play on Xmas.
Giovanni Schwartz

Katya wrote:
Marduk wrote:What's with your title?
I assume it's a play on Xmas.
Yep.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Well, I got that it came from Xmas. I just wasn't sure the connection.
Deus ab veritas
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

that doesn't make sense, because in Xmas X stands for Chi!

I'm not sure how common this is, but instead of having lunch on the day of Thanksgiving, we'd just have "fancy" snacks like crackers and cheese and celery/carrots and dip. Then we'd have Thanksgiving dinner around 2pm, and afterwards we'd all just want to lie down and digest and our mom would try to get us to help clean up. For drinks with Thanksgiving, sometimes we'd have cranberry juice + club soda, or Martinelli's. My mom made a little bit of stuffing for my dad since he was the only one who liked it.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I absolutely love stuffing (although, since few people actually stuff the bird anymore, it is usually referred to as "dressing.") I continue to assert that anyone who doesn't like it simply has never had good stuffing.
Deus ab veritas
Giovanni Schwartz

Marduk wrote:I absolutely love stuffing (although, since few people actually stuff the bird anymore, it is usually referred to as "dressing.") I continue to assert that anyone who doesn't like it simply has never had good stuffing.
This. I LOVE stuffing.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I adore stuffing. It's probably my favorite part of dinner. Mmmmm.

Also, we have no traditions, other than eat lots of yummy food.

My family with Yellow and our kids have started a November tradition where we make a big butcher paper tree on our wall and cut out a bunch of fall-colored leaves and write what we're grateful for on it all month long. That's as close as I've got.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Thanksgiving is not Thanksgiving without my mom's rolls, and she's over 2,000 miles away, so I'm making them for myself for the first time this year. I'm in the middle of it now and it turns out it's a long process so I'll be lucky to have them done before 2 am.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

We do sort of a Texas Two-Step with my dad's family. Today we will have sandwiches and watch the football game, tomorrow we will have the whole big turkey dinner with pies and dressing and such. My husband finds all of this rather overwhelming.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

My personal Thanksgiving tradition is sending texts to my friends, telling them why I'm grateful for them. It's really nice for me to think about why I'm friends with them.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Turns out our holiday/vacation tradition is for one of my kids to get sick and need a doctor when all of the pediatricians are closed and I have to go through the on-call/after-hours pediatrician. I have this fear that my new insurance isn't going to make this cheap... Poor Niffler Baby has an ingrown toenail (I think) and her big toe and foot is all red and swollen and she has a fever and she's just miserable. :( Poor girl.