Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Portia »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:There's a whole Wikipedia article with that exact title? TIL
It's a book from a decade ago.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Yes, it is so funny*! They just can't admit they are reading Lolita, but at the same time they have so many questions because it is a great book. :P It took me like a week, I think. I *really* enjoyed it. Maybe they submitted these questions closer together but they have been posting further apart for Board Reasons?

*Not Reading Lolita in Tehran, I mean this person who keeps asking about Lolita.
Portia

Post by Portia »

For my teacher friends: I got an email from DonorsChoose.org today, and the disparity in school funding got my dander up. It should NOT be the teachers' responsibility till fund their classrooms out of pocket or through charity, as admirable as it is. How nineteenth century can we get? All the funding should go in a pot and be distributed to schools on a federal level. I work pretty close to a brand new high school that's treated almost like an elite prep school in how cutthroat it is with parents trying to get their kids in. And then I read about these immigrant kids who don't have books. Argh!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I think the theory is that parents donate more when it's for their own children... but I agree that it's ridiculously unfair.
Portia

Post by Portia »

My job: STILL AWESOME. I worried that the charm would wear off once the honeymoon phase had passed. Nope.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Isn't that kind of a tautological statement? I mean, the charm wearing off is what defines the passing of the honeymoon phase.
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

Marduk wrote:Isn't that kind of a tautological statement? I mean, the charm wearing off is what defines the passing of the honeymoon phase.
Think of it as building a deep, meaningful marriage with my career and finding a really good fit, not just that it's "hot." ;-)
Portia

Post by Portia »

It was so gratifying to hear, "it's great having a talented writer on the team ..." :D

Also, another coworker had the Board as her second-most-frequently-visited tab. (As it should be!) She knew I'd been a Board writer, and drilled me on my alias, but I stayed strong! B-)
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Someone created an AppleID with MY email address. When I got the notification, I went and reset the password, so I could delete it, but there was no "delete account" option that I could find, and while doing it I inadvertently verified the email address. So now the creator and I are having a back-and-forth war. She keeps resetting the password, using the security questions, and I keep resetting it by email. I can't change her security questions without answering them, and she's apparently unwilling to use her own dang email address. I changed her name to "Please use your own email address, and not mine. This is really annoying." So maybe that will fix things? But if it hasn't changed by the time work's over, I'll give Apple a call.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Email Apple support and tell them what's up. I've heard they're generally helpful.

Alternatively, if you want to be really passive aggressive, you could "Unverify" all of the current computers that can use her account, and then have you and four of your closest computers get verified really quickly so she can't use her music anymore. I'm not sure if it still works that way (what with verification and all. I haven't used iTunes in 3+ years), but if it does, that would be most excellent.

Another option is when she changes her name back, or if you know what her name is, make a fake Facebook account to harass her.

You could also click the link in the email every time that says "I didn't reset my password." That would be fun.

Use her account to play "Find my iPhone." Have it make a noise in the middle of the night (that's a thing, isn't it?). Remotely lock it. Play with all the things that you want to do on it.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Tally M. wrote:I had to stop Duolingo...I was already having so much trouble getting it mixed into Finnish
Yeah, I generally have a "one language at a time" rule, but I'm not learning anything else right now besides working on French reading comprehension.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:
Katya wrote:You guys, I said an entire sentence in Spanish today that was actually germane to the conversation and not just a canned sentence I'd learned from Duolingo.
Que bueno! Ya eres un estudiante bien inteligente!
Gracias!
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I'm on flight delay 5. I'm scheduled to leave two hours later than anticipated. I just want to go home
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

aww... sitting in an airport is no fun. I hope you get a bed to sleep in tonight.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I did, thank goodness
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

UffishThought wrote:Someone created an AppleID with MY email address. When I got the notification, I went and reset the password, so I could delete it, but there was no "delete account" option that I could find, and while doing it I inadvertently verified the email address. So now the creator and I are having a back-and-forth war. She keeps resetting the password, using the security questions, and I keep resetting it by email. I can't change her security questions without answering them, and she's apparently unwilling to use her own dang email address. I changed her name to "Please use your own email address, and not mine. This is really annoying." So maybe that will fix things? But if it hasn't changed by the time work's over, I'll give Apple a call.

So what's the update? I'm curious.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Portia

Post by Portia »

Good job, dialect map. It correctly predicted my being from Salt Lake City (with Seattle as a not-unreasonable backup, since I've also lived there.)
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Imogen wrote:
UffishThought wrote:Someone created an AppleID with MY email address. When I got the notification, I went and reset the password, so I could delete it, but there was no "delete account" option that I could find, and while doing it I inadvertently verified the email address. So now the creator and I are having a back-and-forth war. She keeps resetting the password, using the security questions, and I keep resetting it by email. I can't change her security questions without answering them, and she's apparently unwilling to use her own dang email address. I changed her name to "Please use your own email address, and not mine. This is really annoying." So maybe that will fix things? But if it hasn't changed by the time work's over, I'll give Apple a call.

So what's the update? I'm curious.
Because they can't verify it's my account, since the questions and device are the other person's, they can't just delete it. What they have done is put a block on the account so it can't be used until she changes the email address to something else. It's not ideal, I guess, but she'll either have to abandon the account or associate it with someone else, so the outcome is acceptable, at the very least. Hooray?
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

So you didn't use any of my ideas? I'm offended.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Portia wrote:Good job, dialect map. It correctly predicted my being from Salt Lake City (with Seattle as a not-unreasonable backup, since I've also lived there.)
My family and I all did this this morning. Most of us got Salt Lake with mid-inland California as close seconds (Fresno, Modesto, etc.) except my little sister and mom. Mom got Seattle, Portland and Vancouver as secondary, while my little sister got Reno and Modesto.

It was still fun to do.