Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Genuine Article »

Someone in my ward here in TN just posted on FB that they're having a yard sell this weekend.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

!! That's wonderful! :D Maybe the merger is more widespread than I thought.
Violet

Post by Violet »

I just heard my little brother merge feel/fill. However, we all have language processing issues in my family (another of my brothers said grade-y for gravy for years, and the last brother heard and said supposably rather than supposedly), so we may not be the most reliable.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I had a boss constantly say "irregardless."

I tried to correct him, pointing out the double negative. He argued with me, I dropped it, and he continued believing it was correct.
Deus ab veritas
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Feel/fill is a fairly common merger. I always thought supposably was common too (there was a bit about it in Friends). Irregardless is an awesome example of derivation. Guys I am so looking forward to graduating, then I won't think about linguistics as much, right?
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

mic0 wrote:Guys I am so looking forward to graduating, then I won't think about linguistics as much, right?
I think Katya is living proof that you're wrong.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Tally M. wrote:
mic0 wrote:Guys I am so looking forward to graduating, then I won't think about linguistics as much, right?
I think Katya is living proof that you're wrong.
I just don't understand the concept of "looking forward" to not thinking about linguistics. ;)
Portia

Post by Portia »

BYU's MBA program continues to impress me. Look at the debt to starting salary ratio and ranking! Dang!
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Essentially cataloging all of my stuff so I can see what I need to get rid of, find missing things, and better rearrange where I've stored stuff. Done with the closet, now onto the rest of my things...
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

I've heard a lot of the weird pronunciation merges. They're putting them in writing now? This ... this makes my soul ache.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

SmurfBlueSnuggie wrote:I've heard a lot of the weird pronunciation merges. They're putting them in writing now? This ... this makes my soul ache.
Why? If they aren't shown in writing, then our supposedly phonetic alphabet just continues to obscure actual pronunciation more.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

SmurfBlueSnuggie wrote:I've heard a lot of the weird pronunciation merges. They're putting them in writing now? This ... this makes my soul ache.
I don't think anyone's arguing for formalizing the pronunciation merger in writing. I think some people have just heard an expression and are reanalyzing it on the fly based on the pronunciation they've heard. (I guess this is sort of like an eggcorn, although with a different underlying cause.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

So is a GB 1,000 times a MB or not? Very confusing.
the anglophile

Post by the anglophile »

Portia wrote:So is a GB 1,000 times a MB or not? Very confusing.
I think a GB is 1024 MB. I'm not entirely sure though.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Portia wrote:So is a GB 1,000 times a MB or not? Very confusing.
Yes and no. In short, it depends on who is saying it. It looks like generally speaking Microsoft is the only one to still use the base 2 definition (which, as the anglophile said, is 1024 MB, or more accurately, 1024^3 bites.)

It depends on whether it is coming from binary (since computers, at their most base level, speak in binary, a sequence of switches that are either on or off, the data is computed that way) or in base 10 system, since that's what we humans use. Basically, the amount of data coded is an exponent of 2, and 1000 isn't an exponent of 2, but 1024 is (it is 2^10).
Some reading about the difference.

(I'm not a programmer, so some of my info might be slightly inaccurate, but that's the gist of it.)
Deus ab veritas
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Guess what! Guess what! I finally got a 2048 (well, a Katya). I am a master at getting 1024s, and I finally connected two.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

TheBlackSheep wrote:Guess what! Guess what! I finally got a 2048 (well, a Katya). I am a master at getting 1024s, and I finally connected two.
Woohoo! My current project is to get a 2 in Backwards 2048.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I've seen little free libraries on Pinterest before, but I didn't know they were an organized Thing. It kind of makes me happy and I want to build one when I move to Provo. http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/ (you can see the map of current libraries if you click on the icon in the lower right-hand corner, or here: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&m ... dg=feature ).
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:I've seen little free libraries on Pinterest before, but I didn't know they were an organized Thing. It kind of makes me happy and I want to build one when I move to Provo. http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/ (you can see the map of current libraries if you click on the icon in the lower right-hand corner, or here: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&m ... dg=feature ).
These were everywhere in Madison. I read and returned Téa Obreht's The Tiger's Wife, and I think I made off with Catch-22.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Whistler wrote:I've seen little free libraries on Pinterest before, but I didn't know they were an organized Thing. It kind of makes me happy and I want to build one when I move to Provo. http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/ (you can see the map of current libraries if you click on the icon in the lower right-hand corner, or here: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&m ... dg=feature ).
I just passed one on the bus today!