Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
mic0

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by mic0 »

Small World is an awesome game, I'm so glad you got to play it! :)
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

So, you know those water bead things? They expand in water and are kind of pleasantly squishy but smooth and they hold their shape? used to use them in sensory tables when I worked with toddlers.

My girlfriend once mentioned that she loved those things and that she would love to get in a bathtub filled with them.

I don't really have a history of making a big deal out of Valentines Day. My girlfriend, however, apparently does (though not in a gross way, thank goodness), and she has been nothing but giving and supportive of me since I moved (for the past decade and a half, really). So I just bought ten pounds of water beads from an online retailer. I bought out the entire stock. It should make about 70 gallons of water beads once they expand. I hope I got enough. I also bought a travel guide for a roadtrip we are planning from New Jersey to Prince Edward Island.

This relationship is turning me into a gooey love monster.
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Just try not to wash the beads down the drain.

For more sensory fun, I recommend Bubber, Sands Alive, and the classic cornstarch with water. The Bubber kind of feels like marshmallow fondant in texture, it's very smooth, and almost feels like it's rigid until you start pressing on it. I like the Sands Alive better than kinetic sand because it is a bit more malleable, you can get more texture in your creations, and you don't get a the gritty sand feeling of kinetic sand.

Now excuse me while I finish eating so I can start playing :)
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

TheBlackSheep wrote:So, you know those water bead things? They expand in water and are kind of pleasantly squishy but smooth and they hold their shape? used to use them in sensory tables when I worked with toddlers.

My girlfriend once mentioned that she loved those things and that she would love to get in a bathtub filled with them.

I don't really have a history of making a big deal out of Valentines Day. My girlfriend, however, apparently does (though not in a gross way, thank goodness), and she has been nothing but giving and supportive of me since I moved (for the past decade and a half, really). So I just bought ten pounds of water beads from an online retailer. I bought out the entire stock. It should make about 70 gallons of water beads once they expand. I hope I got enough. I also bought a travel guide for a roadtrip we are planning from New Jersey to Prince Edward Island.

This relationship is turning me into a gooey love monster.
awww :)
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I started playing with an amortization chart for my student loan because I was super bored. My loan is about $5,500 with an APR of 4.15%. The minimum monthly payment is about $56.50 for 10 years.

If I increase my payment by $3.50, I'll save $80 and pay it off 8 months faster.
I plan on making a payment of $80, where I'll save more than $400 and 40 months.

I was just a little amazed on how much time I could save by just increasing the payment a few dollars. So, I guess this is a little reminder that if you're making payments towards your student loans or a new car, even if you can only pay an extra $5 each month, it can save you a lot of time and payments later on.
Portia

Post by Portia »

No one told me that Hamilton is about an upwardly mobile bastard son! MY FAVORITE TROPE GUYS
Digit

Post by Digit »

First thing that came to my mind when I saw the word Hamilton was a pig who has everything in his cardboard box. Having kids can tend to make cartoon details leach into your life.
Hoo wee!
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Portia wrote:No one told me that Hamilton is about an upwardly mobile bastard son! MY FAVORITE TROPE GUYS
One of my favorite things from Hamilton tangentia (if that's the best way to describe it) that is related to this is Lin-Manuel Miranda talking about the woman in the audience who gasped when Burr says in the opening number "I'm the damn fool who shot him." Like, that's not a spoiler alert. It happened more than 200 years ago. We all know the story.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

having an existential crisis about childcare. Am I saying caring for my child isn't worthwhile because I pay less than minimum wage? Or am I enabling my friend to make a little money on the side while she does the SAHM thing? :|
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Whistler wrote:having an existential crisis about childcare. Am I saying caring for my child isn't worthwhile because I pay less than minimum wage? Or am I enabling my friend to make a little money on the side while she does the SAHM thing? :|
Maybe you're saying that your childcare needs are such that this type of childcare setup is currently working for you, and that's OK.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Or maybe there are things in this world more important than money.
Deus ab veritas
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

hello everyone
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

hello giovanni
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I'm back on campus this evening and tomorrow. I'll be in the JKB/HFAC/MOA area. It's fun to be back. I forgot about random praying, but not the chocolate milk.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

One of my colleagues is presenting at a "local" conference this Friday. I told her I would come support her and asked where it would be. Apparently it was going to be at BYU but was moved to UVU last minute. I'll be honest, it feels somewhat surreal to have my current and former academic worlds collide, just a little bit.
Deus ab veritas
Portia

Post by Portia »

Marduk wrote:One of my colleagues is presenting at a "local" conference this Friday. I told her I would come support her and asked where it would be. Apparently it was going to be at BYU but was moved to UVU last minute. I'll be honest, it feels somewhat surreal to have my current and former academic worlds collide, just a little bit.
"Surreal" is the perfect word!
Shrinky Dink

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I've been watching Pitbulls and Parolees and they are all so cute! I really want a puppy. :)
Digit

Post by Digit »

With my last day of my old job this past Friday and my first day of my new job tomorrow, the thought that has been floating in the back of my mind all weekend was What if a car ran me down while I don't have life or health insurance?
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Digit wrote:With my last day of my old job this past Friday and my first day of my new job tomorrow, the thought that has been floating in the back of my mind all weekend was What if a car ran me down while I don't have life or health insurance?
Health insurance you can get through COBRA if something happens during a gap like that. Life insurance...well...
Portia

Post by Portia »

Woah, actuaries, weigh in.

Life insurance doesn't function like that, I'm pretty sure.