Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Katya »

UffishThought wrote:https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/70269/

Props again to Genuine. I know that took a dang lot of work. I logged in specifically to thumbs it up.
Did I forget to say that this was an amazing answer? This was an amazing answer.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Gimgimno (whose name I pronounce with hard G's, like it's classical Latin or German, not gonna change now if that's wrong) had my favorite answers today. I thought the Just Friends and Love at First Sight made a nice dyad.

Apparently, it's his birthday. Happy birthday!
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

Portia wrote:Gimgimno (whose name I pronounce with hard G's, like it's classical Latin or German, not gonna change now if that's wrong) had my favorite answers today. I thought the Just Friends and Love at First Sight made a nice dyad.

I've always wondered how to pronounce that. My brain likes gim-jim-no. Also gimminy-jim-no, because sometimes I just make things up. Or don't read especially carefully. (I read cannabis as cannibals in another post, and was very confused)

Anyway, happy birthday G_____!
Portia

Post by Portia »

thatonemom wrote:
Portia wrote:Gimgimno (whose name I pronounce with hard G's, like it's classical Latin or German, not gonna change now if that's wrong) had my favorite answers today. I thought the Just Friends and Love at First Sight made a nice dyad.

I've always wondered how to pronounce that. My brain likes gim-jim-no. Also gimminy-jim-no, because sometimes I just make things up. Or don't read especially carefully. (I read cannabis as cannibals in another post, and was very confused)

Anyway, happy birthday G_____!
Apparently canon is that it was a city destroyed in wickedness in the Book of Mormon. Considering the huge regional variations, I think pretty much anything is arguable.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

thatonemom wrote:

I've always wondered how to pronounce that. My brain likes gim-jim-no. Also gimminy-jim-no, because sometimes I just make things up.
I like to sing Gim-Gim-i-no-Gim-Gim-i-no-Gim-Gim-Ger-ee to the tune of "Chim Chim Cher-ee" from Mary Poppins. But I'm pretty sure that's not the correct pronunciation.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

I absolutely loved your answers to Tally's question today!! It was so fun to make the connection between the Board Board and 100 Hour Board. 8-)
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I'd just like to say that I'm now completely paranoid about which writer is in my class.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Tally M. wrote:I'd just like to say that I'm now completely paranoid about which writer is in my class.
Bahaha. I'd claim to be in one of your classes to freak you out further, but clearly I'd be lying...
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I can make some assumptions about which class, and which writer it would be based on what I know...but not enough to really help anything.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Zedability wrote:Well, that's embarassing.
In one of the first questions I ever asked the board, I linked to an article that contained the answer to my questions. I was mortified.
#boardboard confessions
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

On the Boardcasts, he pronounced it with two hard g's, so that is what I do. And happy birthday, Gimgimno!
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

That's what it says in the pronunciation guide to the BoM.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Dead Cat wrote:On the Boardcasts, he pronounced it with two hard g's, so that is what I do. And happy birthday, Gimgimno!
I knew I was omniscient.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/70651/

I'm sorry, can someone please clarify for me how MSJ's answer was caustic to this person? She seemed perfectly reasonable to me, even offering an idea for non-monetary compensation. I would start ranting about it, but I don't want to subject anyone to that.

Anyway, I think MSJ is lovely, and the reader in question should take a chill pill. And read the talk recommended. (Seriously! What was there to be offended about?!?)
No Dice
Board Writer

Post by No Dice »

I think that the questioner for whatever reason got the impression that MSJ was disparaging them for wanting to pay a friend/acquaintance/whatever in money rather than in something else for driving them to SLC. Or perhaps that she was flippantly suggesting that being formulaic about it somehow wasn't in step with friendship.

I agree that that's a pretty strained reading of MSJ's answer, and that you have to squint your eyes a bit to get there. But I think that was the idea.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

"We're not reddit." :) Hilarious. I frequent reddit lately and have found that people in the subreddits (specific communities for certain subjects) are generally much nicer than people who just post on the top rated comments. That was still funny, though. And people are always going to misinterpret answers (and sometimes writers will misinterpret questions - I sure did); unfortunate but true.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

On climate change. Super interesting answers from yayfulnesses's's professor friend and Eirene.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/70651/

I'm sorry, can someone please clarify for me how MSJ's answer was caustic to this person? She seemed perfectly reasonable to me, even offering an idea for non-monetary compensation. I would start ranting about it, but I don't want to subject anyone to that.

Anyway, I think MSJ is lovely, and the reader in question should take a chill pill. And read the talk recommended. (Seriously! What was there to be offended about?!?)
Read the original as if Nissan is the driver, and then read it as if she is the passenger. Comes off quite differently, I think.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Scrabble block is awesome. I'd never thought about that before.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

I found the Wikipedia article on applause oddly fascinating...