Board Question 58831

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

wryness

Board Question 58831

Post by wryness »

Okay, so this is more of a question than a comment about Question 58831:

There are rock climbing classes at BYU? As in, here?

Has anyone ever taken such a class? Is it indoor or outdoor rock climbing?

Man, I would like getting elective credit to go to the Quarry...
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Re: Board Question 58831

Post by thebigcheese »

TAKE THAT CLASS! TAKE IT NOW!!! And I hope you get Stacy for your teacher. He's a pretty cool guy.

(Of all the classes I took in my five years at BYU, rock climbing and mountain biking were two of my very favorite classes.)

With that said, you will climb both indoors and outdoors. We usually carpooled up to Rock Canyon and climbed in a couple of different spots (The Kitchen, Tinker Toys, The Appendage, etc). For one of our class periods, we went up to Hansen's Mountaineering (in Orem) and climbed on their indoor wall. The recreation management department also owns a mobile climbing wall. Then, for our field trip, we camped in American Fork Canyon and climbed a really huge one (I think it was called Juniper Wall?).

You also get some perks like discounted shoe rentals at Outdoors Unlimited. It's an easy two credits, but your whole grade is based on a single quiz and your attendance in the class. So study hard for that quiz and definitely come to class. It's fun :)
wryness

Post by wryness »

Neat. So, the class is mostly about outdoor rock climbing, but you do some indoor climbing too, right?

What's the name of the class? (e.g. EXSC 911 or whatever)
mic0

Post by mic0 »

It is RMYL... something. *so not helpful*
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

mic0 wrote:It is RMYL... something. *so not helpful*
My guess is RMYL 223R. (It could also be RMYL 123.)
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

wryness wrote:Neat. So, the class is mostly about outdoor rock climbing, but you do some indoor climbing too, right?
Precisely.
wryness wrote:What's the name of the class?
RMYL 223R. Now here's the trick: there's a waiting list for the class. You have to go to the Recreation Management department office (2nd floor of the RB, north end) and put your name on the list. I think they start a new list on the first registration day of each semester, and it tends to fill quickly. But if you show up on the first day of class, you might still get a spot if you're lucky. DO IT!