Cat bites

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Cat bites

Post by Katya »

So, I've heard that cat bites can be very serious and lead to infection. How do I know if I need to see a doctor? (Rabies is not an issue.)
C is for
um Administrator

Re: Cat bites

Post by C is for »

If you get an infection. That'd be how I do it. (Of course, I've had things (not cat bites) turn to infection before and just shrugged them off, and they healed fine, so ... I guess how I really would do it is just never go to the doctor.)
Digit

Post by Digit »

Medical advice, like advice on how to land a 747, is one of those things in life where "you get what you pay for" applies.
Time will answer your question for free, though. If you never get seriously ill, then you know you didn't need to go to the doctor. If you get very ill, you'll know that you should have gone to the doctor.
Maybe you can get a good, cheap, and fast answer here. I've never used that service, but it appears to be run by real doctors. Nobody can guarantee that if you spend money for peace of mind's sake you won't find out that you didn't need to. And nobody can guarantee that if you save your money, you won't worsen to the point that you really wish you'd gotten help sooner. Only you can make that call. Good luck!
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Actually, it's noticeably swelling. I think I'll see if I can get my roommate to drive me to the emergency room when she gets home. :(
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I think the one of the big issues other than rabies is tetanus, but if you've had a tetanus shot recently, you're probably okay. But swelling can be a bad sign so I think getting your roommate to take you to the emergency room is a good idea.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I have never had a problem with the cat scratches I have had, aside from the time when my cat was bleeding like crazy and very upset to be handled and scratched up my entire hand until it swelled and I couldn't use it very much. But even that lasted for only a day. And it was a hand full of scratches. Sounds like doctor was a good idea, Katya; let us know if you're all right.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I'm back; I'm OK. Had to drive myself because it turned out that roomie wasn't going to be home until very late. Need to double check with the neighbors tomorrow that their cat is current on rabies shots. Got a tetanus shot, to be on the safe side. (My last shot was 6 years ago, so still current, but the wound was moderately severe, so another shot was recommended.) Nurses are officially awesome. Actual ERs are nothing like ER. The kitty may have punctured an artery in my arm, judging by the amount of swelling, pain, and bleeding. (I think that's what the doctor said, anyway.) Got an antibiotic IV and a prescription that I need to fill tomorrow. Definitely calling in sick to work. (More like calling in wounded.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Dang! That was some cat bite!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Well, I for one, am certainly glad you lived.
wired

Post by wired »

I'll second that.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Heh. I don't think my life was ever in danger, but it's good to be treated for something that turned out to be more than minor. (Now I get to go tell the neighbors that their cat bit me, which promises to be awkward.)
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I am also glad you lived!
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

If you start growing whiskers, get night vision, or start purring when you're happy, let us know! You could be Kat(ya)Woman!
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dead Cat wrote:If you start growing whiskers, get night vision, or start purring when you're happy, let us know! You could be Kat(ya)Woman!
:lol:

Dear neighbors, Has your cat had his rabies shots? Yes? Well, is he radioactive and capable of transferring his animal powers to me?

The best part is I'm actually watching Spider-Man right now.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Is this the thread where I get to complain about how much my arm still hurts? Oh good, because it does.
Sky Bones
Board Writer

Post by Sky Bones »

Not to scare you, but I once had a neighbor who got bit on the wrist by a cat she was trying to save from her dog. The bite got terribly infected and she had to wear this... strange machine thing for a month so she could be monitored at all times in case she passed out or her heart rate dropped again. She eventually recovered, but only after many, many visits to the doctor's office.

On that note, I'm sure you'll be fine, Katya. :)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Sky Bones wrote:Not to scare you, but I once had a neighbor who got bit on the wrist by a cat she was trying to save from her dog. The bite got terribly infected and she had to wear this... strange machine thing for a month so she could be monitored at all times in case she passed out or her heart rate dropped again. She eventually recovered, but only after many, many visits to the doctor's office.

On that note, I'm sure you'll be fine, Katya. :)
Ha! Thanks. I was aware before this whole debacle that cat bites could be very serious. Mine doesn't seem to be getting any worse, though (although it's taking its sweet time at getting better). I need to follow up with my GP next week, so maybe she'll scare me or reassure me about the seriousness of the bite. Fun times.