Triathalons

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

TheAnswerIs42

Triathalons

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Hey Pilgrim, were you at the Utah Half Ironman a couple of weeks ago? I was! My husband was fairly happy with his time. In fact, I saw a few people from the BYU Triathalon club. They had a fan club that was standing close to where I was with my kids, and they were all counting off who had come by, and who was still out there, etc.

My husband actually was debating between Couer D'Alene (stupid French can't spell . . .) and St. George. While he preferred the Idaho course and time of year, he really wanted a Saturday one. And his friend is stuck on wanting to do the Western Canada one, since it is so late in the year so he would have longer to train. Hubby was hoping to convince him to sign up for Idaho together soon, so that's a real bummer it sold out. We were debating on Florida or something, but then we have to ship the expensive bike . . . ugh. We are at least going to go watch the St. George one, and if Idaho sold out, that might be his race. I think he is nuts to try St. George as his first one. Actually, I think the whole thing is nuts . . .
Portia

Re: Triathalons

Post by Portia »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:Hey Pilgrim, were you at the Utah Half Ironman a couple of weeks ago? I was! My husband was fairly happy with his time. In fact, I saw a few people from the BYU Triathalon club. They had a fan club that was standing close to where I was with my kids, and they were all counting off who had come by, and who was still out there, etc.

My husband actually was debating between Couer D'Alene (stupid French can't spell . . .) and St. George. While he preferred the Idaho course and time of year, he really wanted a Saturday one. And his friend is stuck on wanting to do the Western Canada one, since it is so late in the year so he would have longer to train. Hubby was hoping to convince him to sign up for Idaho together soon, so that's a real bummer it sold out. We were debating on Florida or something, but then we have to ship the expensive bike . . . ugh. We are at least going to go watch the St. George one, and if Idaho sold out, that might be his race. I think he is nuts to try St. George as his first one. Actually, I think the whole thing is nuts . . .
More like stupid English speakers can't pronounce! It's spelled perfectly fine, though some ligatures and accent marks could be in order. "Cur d'alehn." That's how I always say it in my mind. Regardless of the hideous bastardization. The NW LOVES to do that.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Maybe I should have gone with "stupid me never learned to spell French", since I'm sure it makes sense to French speakers. But it took me looking it up.
Portia

Post by Portia »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:Maybe I should have gone with "stupid me never learned to spell French", since I'm sure it makes sense to French speakers. But it took me looking it up.
Do you like that city? The lake looks gorgeous from their website. I love idaho.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:Maybe I should have gone with "stupid me never learned to spell French", since I'm sure it makes sense to French speakers. But it took me looking it up.
Is now a bad time to tell you that it's actually "Coeur d'Alene"?

It is a bad time? Oh, OK. Never mind then. (And yes, the spelling does make sense to someone who's spent 10+ years studying French. There are arguably better ways to use your brain cells than learning the spellings of words like "eau," "queue," and "oeuvre.")
Portia

Post by Portia »

Katya wrote:
Is now a bad time to tell you that it's actually "Coeur d'Alene"?

It is a bad time? Oh, OK. Never mind then. (And yes, the spelling does make sense to someone who's spent 10+ years studying French. There are arguably better ways to use your brain cells than learning the spellings of words like "eau," "queue," and "oeuvre.")
Jamais! 42, I'd see if you can find "coeur" on Forvo; I love that site.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

<Hanging head in shame>

I'll just . . . quit now.

Maybe I should start my own thread discussing mathematical teaching methods or sewing technique just so I can feel smart for three seconds.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

42 - I'm studying for the GRE and would really appreciate your insight into learning math, or mathematical teaching methods for my husband to teach me... :D
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:<Hanging head in shame>

I'll just . . . quit now.
Noooo! No head hanging! French is tricksy! We loves you!
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Portia wrote:
Do you like that city? The lake looks gorgeous from their website. I love idaho.
I love that city. But I probably love Moscow more. (Idaho, folks. Not Russia.) But only because I've spent vastly more time there. But Coeur d'Alene is very, very pretty. Northern Idaho definitely has landscape going for them.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dragon Lady wrote:
Portia wrote:
I love that city. But I probably love Moscow more. (Idaho, folks. Not Russia.)
This seems like a good opportunity for me to tell you all about translating Russian poetry . . . ;)
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Katya wrote:
Dragon Lady wrote:I love that city. But I probably love Moscow more. (Idaho, folks. Not Russia.)
This seems like a good opportunity for me to tell you all about translating Russian poetry . . . ;)
[Runs out of the room with hands over ears; screaming]
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

mic0 wrote:42 - I'm studying for the GRE and would really appreciate your insight into learning math, or mathematical teaching methods for my husband to teach me... :D
Oh, I did fantastically on the math section. Do the practice problems and memorize the 30/60/90 and 45/45/90 triangle rules. The rest is pretty much figuring out the "trick" to the problems, which you can start getting used to with practice problems. Unless they changed the math part since 2008...
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Whistler wrote:
mic0 wrote:42 - I'm studying for the GRE and would really appreciate your insight into learning math, or mathematical teaching methods for my husband to teach me... :D
Oh, I did fantastically on the math section. Do the practice problems and memorize the 30/60/90 and 45/45/90 triangle rules. The rest is pretty much figuring out the "trick" to the problems, which you can start getting used to with practice problems. Unless they changed the math part since 2008...
Yes, follow that advice. I have no GRE experience. My knowledge base is more along the high school teaching methods. But thanks for the thought.

And I've never been to that portion of Idaho, either, so I'm glad DL contributed there. I've been to Twin Falls, Idaho Falls, and Rexburg. And that is all.

But I did make a little ballet backpack for my daughter to keep her ballet stuff in yesterday, and I think that's rather cute. So there.

Anyone else notice that absolutely none of the replies on this thread have anything to do with triathalons?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

So, triathlons. They seem really hard.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Triathlons . . . I know, right?
Tao

Post by Tao »

mic0 wrote:So, triathlons. They seem really hard.
Eh, you never know until you tri.

urk. Im'a.... go... food. Now.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

I love this whole thread. And all of you. Too bad things have been so busy lately that I don't come here as often.
Also, just to tie it in with the *ahem* topic, I completed a sprint tri this spring and I'm planning on doing more next summer. And Tao, my friend who did it with me said that she had the Primary song "Jesus Once was a Little Child" stuck in her head the whole time, especially the chorus: "Tri, tri to be like Him; tri, tri, tri."
Pilgrim

Post by Pilgrim »

Oh hey, I just saw this. Random trivia: I'm out of town and away from my computer. A lot.

Anyway, no, I wasn't at the Utah Half. I wanted to do it or at least volunteer at it to support my former club members, but I was out of town.

But yeah, Coeur D'alene. June 24th. One of my best friends tried to sign up to do it with me the day after it sold out. I chose CDA over St. George because I decided it was worth the extra drive and the Sunday date to have the race later in the season. And look at the average times for both--CDA is almost an hour faster than St. George. I mean, I'm all for a grueling race, but let's be honest, I'd like my 140.6 miles to come as easily as possible.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

LOL. Yeah, I know a lot of writers don't come here, so I figured you would never see it at this point. My husband is officially signed up for St. George now, like a lunatic. I really did try to talk him into a different race, but . . . this is rather convenient. We'll have a lot of family coming to support him that normally wouldn't dream of it, so that's fun.

Not so fun is the date. I'm due 6 weeks before the race, and he expects that he'll have to be training 2-3 hours a day or so on average in addition to work. I'm glad my mother is coming to help with the new one for the first week or so, because it looks like I will be transitioning to three kids on my own a bit.

Lunatics. All the people who sign up for these are lunatics in my book, but especially this race.