Donuts

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

TheAnswerIs42

Donuts

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/64662/

I know when I moved here, I found the lack of Dunkin Donuts rather odd. That's what I was used to in Ohio, and while they aren't anything fancy, you just always assume they will be everywhere, yeah?

For the record, though, Daylight Donuts are awesome. They almost entirely sell cake donuts, which are my favorite, and they have some special flavors they rotate through that are worth planning around. Multiple parts of my family like them so much they get them every time they come to visit me. It is just a little shop, though, and they just close up whenever they run out of donuts (usually about noon or so.) A good 15-20 minutes from campus, unfortunately for y'all. But three minutes from my house.

(Edited to fix a typo)
Yarjka

Re: Donuts

Post by Yarjka »

We always got our donuts at Winchell's when I was a kid -- it was right there where FatCats is now, if I remember right, on University Ave. near Provo High School (we always went to get donuts after swim lessons). I remember there always being a cop car in front of the place. Sometimes many cop cars. It's so stereotypical of cops to love donuts, but there they were, all the time.

When I spent a summer in Boston I was absolutely shocked by the sheer number of Dunkin Donuts. They were everywhere. I was very disappointed when I tried their donuts though--I guess they really do expect you to dunk them, because they are very dry.
wired

Post by wired »

Provo Bakery on 2nd East, 1st North is amazing. My favorite donuts of anywhere.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

wired wrote:Provo Bakery on 2nd East, 1st North is amazing. My favorite donuts of anywhere.
Oh yes, whenever my grandpa would take me there it was a great treat indeed. They had these orange rolls that were fantabulous. I haven't been there in ages, though.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I personally love the doughnuts at Macey's. I often stop there to get some lunch on errand days, and lunch almost always includes a doughnut or two. But don't tell Marduk!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

If you guys ever need to get back at Marduk for anything and also curry favor with Bob... either connect the dots or PM me.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Hrmm, perhaps I need to defend myself a bit here?

I care about Bob.
Bob gets sick often from sugar, even from very small amounts.
Conclusion: I don't like for her to eat donuts.

The phrase "cut off her nose to spite her face" comes to mind here.
Deus ab veritas
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

*sigh* Story of me, really. When I know I really shouldn't eat something, what I want to eat most is that thing. And usually I give in.

Don't worry, though, Marduk. You have been having a good effect on me. Remember when I turned down Snickers because I was already feeling ill and I knew it would make me sicker?
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Bob, I understand. Just wait till you get pregnant and any tiny bit of sugar makes you want to die. It's much better motivation to avoid it and makes it easier to say no.

In good news, I haven't had that problem much this pregnancy. Hooray!

In other news, bob, try eating protein when you eat sugar or right before or right after. I… feel we've had this conversation before?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

... Maybe. I don't know. But I will try that, I think!
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:... Maybe. I don't know. But I will try that, I think!
I usually go for a glass of milk, a chunk of cheese or a handful of almonds. It doesn't always work, but it does remarkably often.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Dragon Lady wrote:Bob, I understand. Just wait till you get pregnant and any tiny bit of sugar makes you want to die. It's much better motivation to avoid it and makes it easier to say no.

In good news, I haven't had that problem much this pregnancy. Hooray!

In other news, bob, try eating protein when you eat sugar or right before or right after. I… feel we've had this conversation before?
I know that bobbie has gluten intolerance: are you referring specifically to that? Because I know for a fact that my mother had a Dairy Queen chocolate shake every time she passed the shop when she was pregnant with me (and was just as skinny after I was born than before!).
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Actually, she doesn't. That was just one of a myriad of things that she was diagnosed with (not really diagnosed, more of a "try this and see if it helps" sort of thing) that later proved to be inaccurate. I think the main problem, if we are going to be discussing why she has such a low sugar tolerance, is that she doesn't get enough fruits and vegetables in her diet. She tends to find them gross. Also, too much processed food.

Bob, since we're talking about you as though you weren't here, care to chime in on this?
Deus ab veritas
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

fruit IS gross. veggies are awesome. that is all.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Imogen wrote:fruit IS gross. veggies are awesome. that is all.
Wait, there are two people in this world that discount that entire food group!? You are both insane. (Heartless Siren being the other, btw.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

My sister also dislikes fruit. She will eat apples though, and does like juice; she just doesn't like the texture of most fruits.

I actually love fruits and veggies, I just don't get them often enough at home where aside from apples and the occasional cucumber or head of lettuce most fruit and vegetables are canned or frozen and not very plentiful. We get tired of reheating frozen mixed veg day after day, and a prepackaged salad that is mostly iceberg lettuce isn't any better. When Marduk cooks for his family or friends I do my best to get a couple full servings of vegetables, especially if squash is involved. Or corn on the cob. Dang, I'm going to be so sad when this season is over...
Digit

Post by Digit »

When scientists play with their food:

Graisin: Not a grape-raisin, a giant raisin genetically reprogrammed to grow far beyond its normal size

Grapple: Not a genetic cross between a grape and an apple, just treatment to infuse grape flavor

Pluto: Genetically modified cross between a plum and an apricot. Very high in vitamin C and no sodium or cholesterol

Tangelo: Genetic cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit

Colorful carrots that some Texas researchers claim increases humans' ability to absorb calcium (no source cited though)

Lettuce that carries the insulin gene

Lemato: Who wants a lemon tomato?
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Digit wrote:Pluto: Genetically modified cross between a plum and an apricot. Very high in vitamin C and no sodium or cholesterol
Nonono. That's a pluot! Pluto is a sad little non-planet.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Oops, missed a 't.' That makes for a big difference in serving size :)
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Hrmm, Bob, notice how your favorites are still all the carb heavy vegetables?

What I meant was you needed greens.
Deus ab veritas